This look good for 130k? 2010 Ford 2.5

Just curious I think this wear is fine and no sludge present but a few extra eyeballs and opinions are always a good thing.

Typically 10k OCIs fwiw. Was in there changing the valve cover gasket because some oil was leaking into the cylinder 3 plug hole, damaging the coil and causing a misfire. Took about 45m, very easy, definitely the one advantage of a four cylinder engine lol.

2F5A8085-BF91-467B-BF45-606BF5703E52.jpeg
73291EE8-9C82-4A8A-9927-39B3BB6481DC.jpeg
21994186-2B56-4B7D-91FC-3AFAFB3CB7CB.jpeg
5FFD65C3-C9A1-4515-BF00-A02575CE325C.jpeg
0E90C248-CC1B-4013-8034-339522761209.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d be super happy if any of my engines looked that clean inside. What oils do you use and what is your maintenance schedule like?

I can’t tell what’s going on with the exhaust cam lobes on the second cylinder from the left. Looks like either you smeared it with a rag, or there’s some wear going on. All the other cam lobes look brand new though.

I’d be super happy if any of my engines looked that clean inside. What oils do you use and what is your maintenance schedule like?

I can’t tell what’s going on with the exhaust cam lobes on the second cylinder from the left. Looks like either you smeared it with a rag, or there’s some wear going on. All the other cam lobes look brand new though.

Yeah, I think I wiped one with a rag because I was curious about why it looked like that and it didn’t make a visual difference.

My oil changes are usually around 10k miles. I’ve done 12k occasionally when I do more highway miles and long trips but although still drive far once a week my daily commute is short now so I try to aim for 10k miles. I changed the intelligent oil life monitor to calculate based on 12mo/10k instead of the factory setting of 6mo/7.5k and I pretty much just follow it.

I’ve used various oils, always full synthetic. Usually 5W-30 but I’ve used 5W-20 or 0W-30 in the past occasionally. Most often I use O’Reilly house brand, sometimes Valvoline, occasionally Castrol, and I did use Amsoil twice.

Current fill is on Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. This is the first time I’ve ever used a Shell/Pennzoil oil product and this is the first issue I’ve ever had with a leak, so although it’s probably not the oils fault I won’t be using it again. I’m thinking of trying M1 ESP 0W-20 next time just for the heck of it. Or just go back to O’Reilly oil, really depends on my mood the day of my oil change…

I do think I’ll change it next week just in case I got any contaminants in there while I had the VC off. Will probably leave the filter though for another go around.

For oil filters I’ve used mostly MicroGard, with a sprinkling of Wix XP or Wix. Now I am using the new MicroGard Select, which I will probably use for the foreseeable future, as it seems well constructed and I get a good deal.

Overall the vehicle runs fine but I definitely beat on it and drive it hard. I did find that 30-weights quieted down the engine a little although it’s always been noisy, although the noise has not changed from 60K miles when I bought it to the 130K I’m at now. Always just been a noisy, ticky, coarse little motor. Although that seems to be the consensus with the 2.5.

The MZR series which this is a part of is stellar. Looks great other than that one questionable lobe on the base circle, but the nose looks ok?

Probably already closed it back up, right?
Yep, it’s already buttoned up, unless someone tells me something needs to be looked at further based on that wear, in which case I will investigate further and could pull the VC again. Was easy and quick enough.

See the reply above :)
Took awhile… Euro L is good, if a hair thick for what the MZR needs. You should be able to go a long ways if you decide to stretch OCIs, I went 17k on PUP 5w20 in my ‘11 Fusion and it was finally saying “Uncle!” as it had started to thicken up just a little. However, everything else looked good. 10ks will be a no-brainer and I’d never spend a dime on a UOA at that OCI on this engine, except maybe every 50k just to check in on it.

Did you change the round seal that goes round the sensor? The first time I changed my cam cover seal I didn't do it. A year latter the round seal started leaking. Had to do the whole thing over. The new seal was around $15. Still no leaks .

Did you change the round seal that goes round the sensor? The first time I changed my cam cover seal I didn't do it. A year latter the round seal started leaking. Had to do the whole thing over. The new seal was around $15. Still no leaks .

No, I didn’t think of that, but I should have. I will remember it and monitor it.

Back