Third Car: Which Car to Keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a few others have said, sell both and get something newer and different. Maybe a pickup or Suburban.

As of this post:

8 Keep the Subaru
3 None of the Above
2 Keep the Taurus

I think I'm the only one fighting for the Taurus.
smile.gif
I always liked them when I rented them for business travel. The AWD aspect of the Forester is appealing because both my wife and I would have access to AWD in bad weather. We don't get a lot of snow in NC, but this past winter we had 4 good snow storms (years past it would be 1 or none). The Taurus did great in all 4 storms except for one slide that took out the aforementioned ball joints.

The None of the Above crowd is a surprise. That is one thing I'm wresting with...the similarities in the vehicles. MX-5 would be nothing like the other two.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Perhaps we don't have as many sunroof equipped Foresters in the UK.

Is it possible you drive in an more dusty environment than the UK?

Perhaps that has caused issues with the motor?

It is certainly unusual for Subaru.

I still think they are a good long term ownership proposition.

Been doing research and i can land a 2004 2.0 GT estate, turbocharged version not imported to the UK for around £3k.

Sorely tempted to be honest.

The Forester will give you a lot more money in a sale than that 14 year old Taurus. Although NC may be a tougher market for a AWD car turbo vehicle.

19MPG with premium is abysmal for something that small.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The Forester will give you a lot more money in a sale than that 14 year old Taurus. Although NC may be a tougher market for a AWD car turbo vehicle.

19MPG with premium is abysmal for something that small.

19 mpg for what's basically a 2004 WRX drivetrain in a larger, heavier vehicle is decent. The WRX is 18/26 mpg, so I wouldn't expect much better from a larger vehicle.

The AX4N is probably nearing the end of it's life. But you can probably replace the transmission and do the ball joints / cv joints on the Taurus for much less than a significant failure on the Forester. Repairs on a Taurus are just going to be dirt cheap.

Keep the Taurus.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Perhaps we don't have as many sunroof equipped Foresters in the UK.

Is it possible you drive in an more dusty environment than the UK?

Perhaps that has caused issues with the motor?

It is certainly unusual for Subaru.

I still think they are a good long term ownership proposition.

Been doing research and i can land a 2004 2.0 GT estate, turbocharged version not imported to the UK for around £3k.

Sorely tempted to be honest.

No. NC is not dusty at all in our city. Just a bad design. The replacement motor had a different part number IIRC.

Read more here...42 pages of discussion just on the failure. We tried all the preventative stuff (grease the tracks, reset the electronics, etc) and none of it worked. It may have been 03- 04 Foresters if the replacement part was put on 05 forward.

I take it that you have your own vehicle? If so, I'd ditch the subie, and when (if?) the Ford breaks something, ditch it too. I suspect the Subie will net more money, and the Ford cost less for repairs. I'd not let the safety stuff matter too much, as, if it was me, perhaps I'd never use it as a kid hauler. Just a spare vehicle, lightly used.

Originally Posted By: supton
I take it that you have your own vehicle? If so, I'd ditch the subie, and when (if?) the Ford breaks something, ditch it too. I suspect the Subie will net more money, and the Ford cost less for repairs. I'd not let the safety stuff matter too much, as, if it was me, perhaps I'd never use it as a kid hauler. Just a spare vehicle, lightly used.

Yes, I have a 2013 CX-5 (2002 Maxima is gone but not forgotten).

You will have two almost brand new vehicles and your kids can not drive your cars as long as you keep them strapped in the car seat :) Why do you need the third car for?? If you really want a beater, keep the Taurus and get some money by selling the Subaru. People keep a spare car when the cars start getting old. You don't need a spare when all your cars are new.

I'd keep the Subaru, but that is because I am willing to spend more on gasoline to have a fun car. My car is as much a hog as the Subaru.

With all that timing stuff replaced, I feel that the Subaru has extra value to it.

Someone mentioned the price of turbo replacement. I wouldn't worry, because I am used to seeing turbos lasting the entire life of the engine, unless the engine was poorly maintained or poorly designed.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
[/quote]

Yes, I have a 2013 CX-5 (2002 Maxima is gone but not forgotten).

I did not realize this was the case. My vote then changes from, "subaru" to "sell both", and get a Miata! Don't limit yourself to an NC, look for a good condition NA or NB. You can expect rock solid reliability if it has been cared for. My '93 is a gem mechanically, but rust on the quarter panels is a known issue. Check for it. Given your geographical area you might have better luck than most finding a good example.

The point here is this is a THIRD car.
Assuming that it is in good shape,I would keep the Taurus for the utility factor of it(you won't get anything out of it anyway.)
I would then sell the Subaru, and take the proceeds and invest in a good mutual fund and let the money work for me.

It sounds like you want to keep the Taurus and you'll get more money for the Subaru anyways. You could sell the Subaru and use the money to keep the Taurus running for the next couple of years. Then when the money runs out you can sell it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You will have two almost brand new vehicles and your kids can not drive your cars as long as you keep them strapped in the car seat :) Why do you need the third car for?? If you really want a beater, keep the Taurus and get some money by selling the Subaru. People keep a spare car when the cars start getting old. You don't need a spare when all your cars are new.

It's nice to have the third car. I guess it's a luxury. Why risk getting the new cars dinged at the movies when you can take the beater. Snowy roads and everyone in NC sliding all over the road...take the beater. Need to pick up a load of wood/dirt/plants/manure...take the beater. I definitely don't want four cars I can tell you that!

That's where we are...sell them both (the Taurus is worth poo) or sell one and keep the other for a spare.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
The point here is this is a THIRD car.
Assuming that it is in good shape,I would keep the Taurus for the utility factor of it(you won't get anything out of it anyway.)
I would then sell the Subaru, and take the proceeds and invest in a good mutual fund and let the money work for me.

Exactly. You've got 4 in your signature so you know what I'm talkin' about.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: k24a4

I did not realize this was the case. My vote then changes from, "subaru" to "sell both", and get a Miata! Don't limit yourself to an NC, look for a good condition NA or NB. You can expect rock solid reliability if it has been cared for. My '93 is a gem mechanically, but rust on the quarter panels is a known issue. Check for it. Given your geographical area you might have better luck than most finding a good example.

I'm nearly there and what's more I have support from the boss! I like the NB quite a bit (2004 Mazdaspeed Miata would be sweet).

The problem is, at this point in our lives, it would get driven less than the Taurus. No room for kids...no room for hauling stuff...wouldn't dream of RWD in the ice/snow and worse yet I would want to keep it clean. The MX-5 is our dream when the kids are in high school and the wife and I can get away for a weekend.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

I'm nearly there and what's more I have support from the boss! I like the NB quite a bit (2004 Mazdaspeed Miata would be sweet).

The problem is, at this point in our lives, it would get driven less than the Taurus. No room for kids...no room for hauling stuff...wouldn't dream of RWD in the ice/snow and worse yet I would want to keep it clean. The MX-5 is our dream when the kids are in high school and the wife and I can get away for a weekend.
frown.gif

I thought about this when I was writing my response but did not mention it, you are correct-having a Miata and a young family is incompatible. The good news: there will be Miatas on the road when they get to high school age.

So I'll change my vote again, keep the subie.

To be able to take the beater to movie theater; would you be going out on a date night or a family night in that Taurus?

If the roads are snow covered, do you have good tires and tread on the Taurus to take it out in the inclement weather or would you feel safer with something which has traction control?

If your little ones need booster seat, do you keep them in Taurus and or move them from car to car?

If the CEL turns on the Taurus, do you spend the money to trace the evap system to fix it?

With 2 drivers and 2 new cars, maintaining a nondescript third car and having to pay insurance on it is a tough decision.

Do you have three car garage? If not, you will be constantly shuffling the cars around if you have to park the 3rd car in your drive way or go around it. Do you get snow storms? You will have to shovel around and move the car around. When you need the third car, either because you have occasional third driver or you need a spare due to advanced age of your fleet, then you do put up with this. Otherwise why?

I do not remember if you Taurus wagon or not. If it is a wagon, I would keep it for hauling duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back