Thinking buying a firearm - I’m in Texas - Where do I start first

Read the gun laws too, save yourself a possible trip to jail.

Start visiting gun stores. There is a gun and ammo buying binge going on. You may have hit the tail end of it but may be not.

i learned proper firearms handling at ten-eleven years old in a nra rifle club, with a 22lr, bolt action, single shot, rifle. a 22lr rifle or handgun and nra instruction is still the best way to start. try: https://appleseedinfo.org/

dont be one of those guys who rush out to buy a glock pistol before you become comfortable with firearms. a decent, inexpensive 22lr rifle is easy on the wallet and shoulder, allowed in most indoor shooting ranges. properly carrying a concealed handgun is more than just getting a permit. if all you have to protect your home is a practiced 22lr semiauto rifle you will likely be ahead of 80% of your peers. welcome!

And don't leave it in the truck in case of break in.
No kidding, that’s about the last thing I’d do. Nobody should know you’ve got or are carrying. Anything sitting in plain sight is just asking for a snatch and grab. Those pickup back windows are so thin and fragile they break in one tap and are almost silent when they smash.
As for the OP I’d learn how to handle and shoot at least decently before taking a CC class. It’s just better because you can concentrate on The situation aspects rather than ABCs. If your friends aren’t nut jobs they’ll be adequate for safety and early marksmanship. You can get a pretty nice education in many respects just watching select YouTube segments as well.
You’re going to find locating ammo a challenge at least for now. You might want to buy a 22 to start off as ammo is much more available And cheap comparably. If you decide to go to 9 mm .38 or .40 do try to shoot if you can where you can pick up your brass.

Training, training, training, and practice, practice, practice.

Right now that is $$$$$ if you don’t have stockpiled ammo.

IMO your best option may be to get laser training ammo or a laser training pistol and practice. Dry fire training too. I’m not a great shot, not a bad shot with a rifle, I don’t practice enough due to free time mainly. Lasers and Mantis could change that.

Classes are great, but if you’re spending $1/rd, that’s not so great. And while I love .22, and think everyone should have at least one S&W 617, 17 or 18, shooting them at 25c/rd is also silly.

Shotgun ammo might be cheaper, I haven’t looked in a while. But a nice mossberg 590 or remington 700 could be a good idea for home.

CCW requires more training and far more personal responsibility. I’d argue first things first.

What do you think you want to buy?

The first thing, and I think your post shows that you've done this, is define the purpose for your new firearm. That sets up your requirements. Buying a gun without regard to requirements is fun, but in your case, a waste of money, because you do have a couple of requirements.

The next is to get some training. The suggested range looked great. Learn to shoot, learn to shoot well.

Then learn when you can, or can not, shoot. The law and legal principles are a critical (and often overlooked) part of gun ownership.

With some familiarity in firearms, it's time to try the various types out. Go back to your purpose - what you need the gun to do, and make sure your choice in firearm fits your requirements.

Some guns are great for concealment, but small guns can be hard to shoot, and you wanted one to target shoot. Small guns hold fewer rounds, limiting their effectiveness in self-defense. Revolvers are beautiful, easy to operate, but only hold six (sometimes seven) rounds. A semi-auto pistol holds more, but you have to learn to manipulate a slide and magazine. A rifle or shotgun is easy to aim, easy to manage, but you wanted to fit this in your car, which is impractical with a long gun.

Like choosing a new vehicle, there are a bewildering array of choices in firearms.

You need to shoot an example of your choice before you buy. It's like a test drive on a car. What feels good in your hand at the gun counter may not work for you under recoil. Find a range that rents, and try a few out. There are lots of very good guns out there that meet your requirements, your budget, and your budget.

For my money, you simply can't go wrong with a Glock 19. There are guns that cost more, some that cost less, but none are more reliable. It is the most common gun in the world for good reason.

Reactions: wtd
I would also stress the importance of learning/living discipline. Folks like to point to a case where a Texas judge ruled in favor of a trigger happy man. Many times that’s not the case. We have DA’s that will go after you not based on what you did - but just how they stereotype you.

Not sure what part of Texas you're in, but this place is great. Instruction, testing, and everything you need gun-wise. Nice folks, not a chain. They actually care that you get what you need, and that you're safe.

i learned proper firearms handling at ten-eleven years old in a nra rifle club, with a 22lr, bolt action, single shot, rifle. a 22lr rifle or handgun and nra instruction is still the best way to start. try: https://appleseedinfo.org/

dont be one of those guys who rush out to buy a glock pistol before you become comfortable with firearms. a decent, inexpensive 22lr rifle is easy on the wallet and shoulder, allowed in most indoor shooting ranges. properly carrying a concealed handgun is more than just getting a permit. if all you have to protect your home is a practiced 22lr semiauto rifle you will likely be ahead of 80% of your peers. welcome!
I was going to give the same advice. 22lr is the way to start. You need to shoot 1000s of rounds to become comfortable and “trained”. They make many popular handguns and rifles in 22lr for this purpose. You would go broke training on a 45acp 1911

i would be leery of starting out with a shotgun or a centerfire rifle, unless you have access to lots of practice opportunities, i.e. either on open land or as a hunter/target clays sportsman. many if not most indoor shooting ranges don’t allow shotguns or centerfire rifles.

and if you do choose a shotgun i would start with an inexpensive new rossi or used h&r/nef single shot in 20 or 410. 12 is too much recoil in these particular models for comfortably sustained practiced. singles are simple to learn, and these brands can be run surprisingly fast with their auto ejection of spent rounds. there are other inexpensive singles and doubles on the market, some fold, but they use slow manual extraction of spent rounds, which makes them problematic in a defense situation.

you could also start with a $150 heritage roughrider or $200 ruger wrangler handgun. these 22lr single action revolvers are completely untactical in the 21st century but a great and simple tool to learn your way around a first handgun. they are fun plinkers too, and being single action won’t burn through increasingly expensive and scarce ammo. a 22lr firearm is also a softer introduction for anyone in your circle who may want to learn but is intimidated by recoil or flashbang.

utube is still a friend when looking at firearms choices.

Last edited:
i would be leery of starting out with a shotgun or a centerfire rifle, unless you have access to lots of practice opportunities, i.e. either on open land or as a hunter/target clays sportsman. many if not most indoor shooting ranges don’t allow shotguns or centerfire rifles.

and if you do choose a shotgun i would start with an inexpensive new rossi or used h&r/nef single shot in 20 or 410. 12 is too much recoil in these particular models for comfortably sustained practiced. singles are simple to learn, and these brands can be run surprisingly fast with their auto ejection of spent rounds. there are other inexpensive singles and doubles on the market, some fold, but they use slow manual extraction of spent rounds, which makes them problematic in a defense situation.

you could also start with a $150 heritage roughrider or $200 ruger wrangler handgun. these 22lr single action revolvers are completely untactical in the 21st century but a great and simple tool to learn your way around a first handgun. they are fun plinkers too, and being single action won’t burn through increasingly expensive and scarce ammo. a 22lr firearm is also a softer introduction for anyone in your circle who may want to learn but is intimidated by recoil or flashbang.

utube is still a friend when looking at firearms choices.
I have a Ruger Wrangler. It’s reliable,cheap and entertaining. The sights definitely make you work at it to get accurate with your shots. Good trainer and will shoot any ammo. Some semi auto 22lr are picky about velocity and the current ammo situation may present a problem.

May as well join the NRA thinking, read the magazine about some issues.

Lots of ways one could go, long gun, handgun, whatever. A simple 22 isn’t a bad idea, a Ruger 10/22 for a rifle, maybe a SP-101 4” revolver for a pistol.

Since you are new to firearms, take two separate conceal carry classes. Not all classes or instructors are the same. It will be a very worthwhile investment in your time and money.

Years ago I wanted to make some extra part time money while stationed in Arizona. I took the armed guard class. Could not believe what I saw, to include a negligent discharge in the lunch area of the range. I quickly become certified by the state of Arizona to instruct Armed Guard classes, hoping to make a difference in what was being offered. BTW- at the time, all the armed guard classes in Arizona accepted payment for the class exclusively in cash, in advance. Seemed like quite the racket.....

Back