Thinking about getting an SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 'winter wheels' is her early production (Sept '92)Jeep GC Limited -so 22+ years and just tires-brakes-shocks and normal fluid maint(but now the OE muffler is starting to rumble-darn!). Has the 4.0 and 242 TC. Leather interior as new and the rest very good. She loves that red beast and won't let it go!

My sister is a nurse who commutes 40 miles in no matter what.

She has winter biased all-seasons (Nokian WR) and uses a 2008 RAV4. She has no issue including getting thru a recent 33"+ storm at it peek.

The RAV4 has enough clearance and also she tends to use a software based AWD locker which works below 25MPH if things get deep or rough.

Good luck in your search but 4HI with a part time system is not great IMHO if roads are not extreme. I have driven up with Jeep CJ-7, AMC Eagle(incredible AWD), few Subaru's and Acura AWD.

I prefer AWD for on road stuff.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I feel that any pop-up you tow, unless it's modified or made specifically for heavy off-road use, wouldn't be able to handle any more than a crossover would be able to handle.

This is probably quite true. Popups are definately one thing "built to a price point". And I suspect that the lighter ones that are under 2,000lb are more often than not any more ruggedly built. At least usually--I want to say the Quicksilver models might be both light and rugged. But pricey.

Sure, I'll buy that logic. But that's for off-the-line popups/trailers. I have a lot of ideas for making an off-road popup/teardrop that I'd like to get digging into the next couple years.

I was traveling along the eastern side of the Sierras last fall and I saw a homemade trailer in a parking lot. I have never seen one like it so it's hard to describe. It was aerodynamic and made with plywood sheets a lot like a teardrop trailer, but a different shape that might be a little more aerodynamic than a teardrop and also easier to make.

Im suprised nobody mentioned the Santa fe's there are two of them this year and they are both really nice and they have the best warrantees... Mine have been very reliable and great in the snow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back