Need Recommendations For A New SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Given your restrictions, I would recommend a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring or higher trim level, and a set of 3PMS all weather tires like the GY WeatherReady. You will be set for all 4 seasons and as much snow as you will encounter, no chains required.

California works a little different:
R1 = FWD with sufficient tread on M+S tires
R2 = FWD requires chains. AWD/4WD can get away with sufficient tread on M+S tires
R3 = everyone requires chains.

Because of this, you'll need to carry chains, cables, or Autosocks.

Figures, Commiefornia.....

Given your restrictions, I would recommend a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring or higher trim level, and a set of 3PMS all weather tires like the GY WeatherReady. You will be set for all 4 seasons and as much snow as you will encounter, no chains required.

R2 = FWD requires chains. AWD/4WD can get away with sufficient tread on M+S tires

It is not Commiefornia. It is impact on the economy when some POS decides that he/she can tackle mountain pass with their all mighty vehicle. Then they block traffic and everything has to stop.
CO was considering mandatory snow tires, but rental companies were afraid that then they might have to put something other than Ling Long on their vehicles. When they were debating that, reason was 64 car pile up on I70 that costed around $8 million in damages to the economy.
Now, if you block lane bcs no equipment fine is $1,150 per hour. Still, did not solve problem.

There are times when WA state pushes the requirements as well. It's not just a California thing. The WSDOT is also quick to close the passes as well as we see each winter.

Originally Posted by Danno

Just check the cargo area, it is rather small.
RAV4 is 10 cu.ft. bigger.

Unfortunately, you can't get a RAV4 with a high output engine anymore...

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I realize you said no Jeeps, but from personal experience my wife's Cherokee 4X4 has been flawless. It handles well, didn't cost that much and IMO Chrysler has the best infotainment/radio out there, esp for the money you pay. You can get a lifetime warranty from Chrysler if you think long term reliability is a problem, but it won't be worse than anything else. Besides, Cherokee is the most American made car available so you're supporting the home team.

They sadly did away with the life time warranty. Now it's 7 years unlimited miles or 8 years 125k.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I will be moving to a mountain community within a year. It gets a little snow for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year but it usually melts within a few days and it won't be like living in Buffalo or some place like that where you really get winter.
I figure that I will need at least all wheel drive and maybe 4X4. I do not need a big honkin' monster SUV that seats 7 and can tow a boat or trailer. I have been a lifetime sports car owner but as I approach retirement age I want something more practical. And easier to get in and out of ! I still want a vehicle with some power, good handling considering what it is, and good brakes. I think that will weed out any of the compact SUV's with less than 150 HP.

What I won't buy: A Ford, GM, Chrysler or Jeep, and anything with a CVT. I want to keep it under $50K.

Will an AWD with chains be sufficient in a hilly town with a few inches of snow for brief periods or do I need to step up to 4X4 ? So far I like the reviews of the Mazda CX5 with the 250 HP turbo and AWD. Gas mileage isn't a big deal as I will only be driving 5000 to 8000 miles a year. I'd like to stay under $50K in price too.

What are some of the other good medium size SUV's that would be good performers in that climate and have some get up and go ?

Unbelievable.......

I wouldn't either, what is so unbelievable about that? Everyone has their preferences and its their money, what someone buys effects me and everyone else other than the OP as much as a bicycle falling over somewhere in China.
Personally I don't like newer domestic cars and wont own a CVT, if someone doesn't like they can buy me one to prove their point or go pound sand.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Since you have a sports car background, the best handling CUV-SUV is Mazda
Wouldn't something like the Macan be better handling/sporty?
Starting MSRP is under $50K (as per OP's requirement), but just barely.
smile.gif
Granted, you throw on a few options and you'll blow your budget.

No, not a Macan due to it's extra wide tires that make it bad on ice and snow. My rule is never go over 225 width tires on snow in those CX-5 sized vehicles, and CX-9 can handle up to 235 width tires due to its higher weight.
Macans and similar "sports car" CUVs out there tend to be a bad sports car combined with being a bad CUV. I like something more optimized for serious snow & ice, while being almost as good as a good car in handling.

If warranty is important: Tiguan & Atlas are my choices.
Mazda CX5 or CX9 if you want a good CUV on snow & ice while getting the best handling possible.

I know the OP doesn't want any GM iron, but the '18 or '19 Equinox 2.0T AWD or similar GMC Terrain sister CUV is a great vehicle. Handles great, good power, 9-speed GM automatic is smoothe, can be had in near-luxury trims, good styling, etc..... The current design is all-new and steers, handles well, solid structure. Not a long warranty like VW CUVs though.

Honda Pilot should be considered. I would recommend a Honda CRV but its got the awful 1.5L and a CVT.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

The standard 2.5L motor makes 203 hp with Toyota's D4-S (direct & port injections). Not too shabby..

Still meets the requirements from the OP and no worries about fuel dilution like the 1.5L motor from Honda

The standard 2.5L motor makes 203 hp with Toyota's D4-S (direct & port injections). Not too shabby..

Still meets the requirements from the OP and no worries about fuel dilution like the 1.5L motor from Honda

The 2019 RAV4 Hybrid rated at 219 hp, 0-60 of 7.5 secs, and higher elevations would have less of an impact on hybrid's electric part of the motivation.
It's worth a test drive imo.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Progress in Syria … ?

I know you meant this as a joke. But my son just got back from there. He told them where to send the bombs. And there isn't any thing left to bomb. He would know.....

So yea-progress...............

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Agree but we moved on since they get so hot … have a white pearl Tahoe now … they don't go overboard with the particles like 10 years back … so clean color …

White pearl is one of my favorite car colors. Looks really classy!!

The 2019 RAV4 Hybrid rated at 219 hp, 0-60 of 7.5 secs, and higher elevations would have less of an impact on hybrid's electric part of the motivation.

It has a CVT, so that is automatically crossed off the list.

The reason I left Ford, GM and Chrysler/Jeep off the list is I don't think being in the JD Power or Consumer Report club of least satisfied owners is a good place to be. Regarding CVT's: automatic transmissions became commonplace in cars around 1950. I figure the manufacturer's should know how to build them by now. Although the need for 8 or 10 gears seems idiotic. CVT's are a solution to a non-existent problem and gimmicks to make them "shift" like a regular car remind me of a veggieburger. Give me meat and don't try and disguise it.
I like the Audi's but then again they don't have the best reputation for reliability. I will be in the Lake Arrowhead area, so about 5000-5500 ft elevation. A set of dedicated snow tires for November through March may not be a bad investment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 4WD
Progress in Syria … ?

I know you meant this as a joke. But my son just got back from there. He told them where to send the bombs. And there isn't any thing left to bomb. He would know.....

So yea-progress...............

Well, not so much a joke about Syria … but two things: this thread did not seem to make much progress ~ and I figured the good news would be under reported by Constant Negative News … (CNN) …

BTW… We thank him for his service …

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by 4WD
Agree but we moved on since they get so hot … have a white pearl Tahoe now … they don't go overboard with the particles like 10 years back … so clean color …

White pearl is one of my favorite car colors. Looks really classy!!

Yes sir … we stray from them once in a while and then come back
I'll be my own version of Trav here … my family has a long history of GM trucks and full size SUV's with good runs up to 400k … but I'm in a position where by 100k-150k I'm looking to pass that one on and smell new leather …
Don't care what those smarter than me buy …

Great point about the electric motor power boost to the gas engine doesn't care about altitude.
Also, I might change my previous answer to the updated 2019 Rav4 Hybrid AWD model. That is a sweet, reliable, AWD vehicle. Maybe the old Toyota numb steering is better for 2019.
It does have a "CVT", but its not the dreaded cone-chain type you find on Nissans and Subarus, for example. The Rav4 CVT is a planetary gearset masterpiece; that's the way to do a CVT, with 2 electric motor-gens whirling the sun, ring, and planets with the gas engine. I have one in my hybrid, and it works very well.

Really drive a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid AWD and I'll bet you'll love it. That CVT blends electric with gas engine power seamlessly.
No driveshaft to the rear either! Electric motor back there under computer control delivers anti-slip power.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24734743/2019-toyota-rav4-suv-drive/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back