Need Recommendations For A New SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodge is cutting amazing deals on Durangos. Hemi durango is a nice vehicle.

Last edited:
Wife and I are looking to replace her 2008 CR-V within the next year. Right now I really like the CX5 with the turbo and the AWD RAV4. If we go the RAV4 route we will probably wait for a 2020 model. Don't really need the extra room but she also likes the Highlander, Pilot, the new Passport and the CX9. If she likes any of those 4, I'd be more than happy for her to pick up the slightly larger vehicle.

Agree but we moved on since they get so hot … have a white pearl Tahoe now … they don't go overboard with the particles like 10 years back … so clean color …

Tiguan is very sure footed in the snow. 6/72 full warranty. Tranny isn't a CVT but may be a DCT or it may still have a torque converter. I've driven one a few times in really crappy deep snow in the mountains and it never let me down. Subaris and other AWD's were stuck all over the place.

Take test drive in the Honda Pilot with the six speed auto.

My two cents.

I would buy a really old Jeep Wrangler shod with snow tires and then something else for your "every day" car. IMO it seems silly to spend the money on AWD when you only need it for a couple of weeks a year. I would avoid Subaru just because as of late their recalls generally seem to be engine related and require extensive work. I would probably avoid a new Honda which has the engine that's involved in a class action lawsuit over fuel dilution.

Toyota RAV4 perhaps?

Now with your miles you might be a good candidate to lease and if that's the case you'll always be under the manufactures warranty so reliability is really only about convenience.

Final thought: Keep in mind that it's snow tires which enable you to stop and turn not AWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
Why the concert over CVT's? Most Subaru CVT's mimic a conventional transmission with shift points, and also let you 'downshift' with paddle shifters for engine braking. The engine logic also 'downshifts' on steeper downgrades if you don't press the accelerator. For a person around 60, the Forester is rated one of the best cars for older people because of excellent handling, visibility and clarity of controls. Around 30K. The Subaru Ascent drives like a luxury car and has decent power too, and has 3 rows of seats for the grandkids. Around 35-40K.
Another good option is a BMW 3 series Xdrive lightly optioned. You could also get a BMW 530 Xdrive without options for 50K.
Toyota will introduce a Prius later this year with AWD ($30K ish). For a roomy vehicle a Toyota Sienna has an AWD option (non-CVT), 35K.
You might also look at an F150 crew cab (40-50K) because of the excellent braking and tons of room, plus towing options.

I honestly don't blame him for being leery of CVTs, as the one in my Forester needed major work at 80kmiles...luckily, Subaru extended the warranty on all their CVTs to 100kmiles. That right there tells you that they have been having issues with them.

To the OPer, I don't think you should have to worry about chains and 4X4 in a hilly area that gets moderate snowfall that won't stick around. I live in a hilly area that gets quite a bit of snow and also have a condo up in a mountainous ski area and have always been OK with good snow tires and AWD.
Acura RDX might be a good option to get you some power and they just brought back the good AWD system they use in the MDX for this model...10 speed auto instead of a CVT.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I was going to say a Grand Cherokee SRT, as that will hand anything else in that price range it's a$$, but you've said no Jeep so
21.gif

475HP, the excellent ZF 8-speed, electronic locking rear diff, full AWD, big Brembo brakes....

That or a 2 year old 4X4 Tahoe. OP you are taking a lot of good vehicles off the table from the get-go.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Tiguan is very sure footed in the snow. 6/72 full warranty. Tranny isn't a CVT but may be a DCT or it may still have a torque converter. I've driven one a few times in really crappy deep snow in the mountains and it never let me down. Subaris and other AWD's were stuck all over the place.

My Quattro is the best I've ever driven in snow. Last big snow we had I weaved through 6 or 7 cars stuck and spinning in a viaduct going under train tracks and never slipped a bit with just regular all season tires on it.

Originally Posted by dbias
My Quattro is the best I've ever driven in snow. Last big snow we had I weaved through 6 or 7 cars stuck and spinning in a viaduct going under train tracks and never slipped a bit with just regular all season tires on it.
And it gets even better with winter tires.

I realize you said no Jeeps, but from personal experience my wife's Cherokee 4X4 has been flawless. It handles well, didn't cost that much and IMO Chrysler has the best infotainment/radio out there, esp for the money you pay. You can get a lifetime warranty from Chrysler if you think long term reliability is a problem, but it won't be worse than anything else. Besides, Cherokee is the most American made car available so you're supporting the home team.

Others above have said, and I agree:

If you want a great full warranty: Volkswagen Tiguan or Atlas, and good CUV-SUVs too. Good price as well. 6 year full warranty, better than Kia-Hyundai even.

Since you have a sports car background, the best handling CUV-SUV is Mazda (CX-5 or CX-9) are excellent choices. Solid choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Since you have a sports car background, the best handling CUV-SUV is Mazda
Wouldn't something like the Macan be better handling/sporty?

Starting MSRP is under $50K (as per OP's requirement), but just barely.
smile.gif
Granted, you throw on a few options and you'll blow your budget.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I realize you said no Jeeps, but from personal experience my wife's Cherokee 4X4 has been flawless. It handles well, didn't cost that much and IMO Chrysler has the best infotainment/radio out there, esp for the money you pay. You can get a lifetime warranty from Chrysler if you think long term reliability is a problem, but it won't be worse than anything else. Besides, Cherokee is the most American made car available so you're supporting the home team.

Just check the cargo area, it is rather small.
RAV4 is 10 cu.ft. bigger.

Sounds like undecided territory right now. I see numerous test drives in your future.

Midsize SUV I can vouch for the Toyota 4Runner. Excellent vehicle but may fall short of your desire for sporty handling since it's body on frame. Supercharger available to get V8 power out of the 4.0 V6. It's a bit dated in spots but tops most lists of reliability and longevity. Full time 4WD available in higher trims.

Given your restrictions, I would recommend a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring or higher trim level, and a set of 3PMS all weather tires like the GY WeatherReady. You will be set for all 4 seasons and as much snow as you will encounter, no chains required.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Given your restrictions, I would recommend a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring or higher trim level, and a set of 3PMS all weather tires like the GY WeatherReady. You will be set for all 4 seasons and as much snow as you will encounter, no chains required.

California works a little different:
R1 = FWD with sufficient tread on M+S tires
R2 = FWD requires chains. AWD/4WD can get away with sufficient tread on M+S tires
R3 = everyone requires chains.

Because of this, you'll need to carry chains, cables, or Autosocks.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I will be moving to a mountain community within a year. It gets a little snow for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year but it usually melts within a few days and it won't be like living in Buffalo or some place like that where you really get winter.
I figure that I will need at least all wheel drive and maybe 4X4. I do not need a big honkin' monster SUV that seats 7 and can tow a boat or trailer. I have been a lifetime sports car owner but as I approach retirement age I want something more practical. And easier to get in and out of ! I still want a vehicle with some power, good handling considering what it is, and good brakes. I think that will weed out any of the compact SUV's with less than 150 HP.

What I won't buy: A Ford, GM, Chrysler or Jeep, and anything with a CVT. I want to keep it under $50K.

Will an AWD with chains be sufficient in a hilly town with a few inches of snow for brief periods or do I need to step up to 4X4 ? So far I like the reviews of the Mazda CX5 with the 250 HP turbo and AWD. Gas mileage isn't a big deal as I will only be driving 5000 to 8000 miles a year. I'd like to stay under $50K in price too.

What are some of the other good medium size SUV's that would be good performers in that climate and have some get up and go ?

You rightly so excluded JEEP (unless Grand Cherokee). They absolutely suck in snow.
Anyway, where in mountains? Keep in mind that naturally aspirated engine will loose a lot of power as you go up (3% per 1,000ft).
Get VW or Audi. If you do not want to go too expensive VW Tiguan or VW Golf Alltrack are probably best options.
Tiguan has 2.0T engine and Aisin 8 speed auto. It is pretty good size, but engine is tuned for Toyota/Honda/Hyundai crowd. It is far cry from first gen. Tiguan when it comes to dynamic capabilities.
Golf Alltrack is super interesting car. It is station wagon with 6.8in clearance, very good AWD (Better anything that Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc offer. Not as good as Subaru AWD system though), and you can get it with either auto 8 speed or stick shift.
Golf's even with FWD are really, really good in snow, AWD just exponentially increases capability.
VW has best warranty currently on the market too.
Atlas is another option, but it is big (not heavy). However, naturally aspirated engine felt weak to me personally here at around 6,800ft where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back