4Runner 2010 or 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some input, good or bad, on a 2010 or 2011 Toyota 4Runner. It’s time to replace my 2005 4Runner and I’m considering a newer model just because I had good luck with the previous one. I haven’t driven the new 4Runner so I don’t have much info to go on. They seem a lot different and larger...which I don’t really need the space. I do some hunting in the fall/winter and the 4WD comes in really handy.
My buddy has a 2011 Ford Edge AWD that he swears is like the Swiss-Army knife of vehicles. That would be second on my list if the newer 4Runner doesn’t pan out.
Any feedback on either vehicle is much appreciated.
Thanks!

2010 was the last year for the 4.7L V8. I rather like that engine. I wish they had offered it in the Taco.

agreed, replacing a 2005 unless its totaled is uh, completely unnecessary and a waste of money.

An Edge is probably a great car but it's not a body-on-frame SUV. Because of it's low ground clearance I would say it's probably worse than a Highlander offroad, which is the unibody version of Toyota's midsize SUV and certainly not in the league of a 4runner (or any other 4wd (not AWD) BOF SUV. Maybe it would still suit your needs, though?

I think the newer 4runner is actually smaller than the last gen. They went from V6/V8 power to V6/I4 power but I think they may have dropped the I4 after one year.

Who knows, go drive one. 2005 should still be good to go, though. Or at least I hope so. I still need another decade out of my 2004!

The Edge and 4Runner are not really even competitors. In fact, Ford doesn't build a competitor to the 4Runner anymore.

The current generation of 4Runner isn't vastly different from the last aside from appearance. It's riding on the same basic frame with the same basic suspension (IFS front, solid rear). The main difference is that the engine options are now an I4 and a V6 instead of a V6 and a V8. Aside from the squared off appearance inside and out of the current models, they should be pretty familiar. I really like the Trail model. It's pretty much the last of its kind.

The Edge is more of a road vehicle. The AWD is for snow, rain, and puddles in soccer field parking lots. If this is going to be a hunting rig part time, I wouldn't even consider it.

No rust, engine good...keep it. Nice NOT to have a car payment. My brother has well over 100K on a '99 manual. Goes deer hunting on the logging "roads" "upta Maine" with it. Still looks new.

Mine has 232,000 on it now, runs great...the years in Vermont (salted roads) are starting to take their toll on the body of the truck...

I bought it used, paid it off quick and have enjoyed owning a truck with zero payments for the last 15 years...it's pretty nice...I recommend that approach...

That said, if you have to get a new one, they still have a body on frame (good for towing or 4 wheeling) and they sure have nice features, but I don't care for the styling at all...

Thanks for the suggestions, I was really looking for some feedback from someone who drives one of these daily. I did talk to a local dealer who was helpful, but he needed to keep consulting with his “truck team” to answer my questions…really! Plus, he referred to it as a crossover…come on now!

I have 155K of uneventful miles on my current 4Runner and could easily take it to 200K with no problems, but I replace my vehicles on a schedule and it’s time. It’s a pretty simple method…I always pay cash for my vehicles and then start making monthly payments to myself for my next vehicle, it’s not rocket science, my dad taught me this forty years ago. So, I’ve never owned a brand new vehicle or had a car payment, I can live with that.

The search continues…stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: Roadking
I did talk to a local dealer who was helpful, but he needed to keep consulting with his “truck team” to answer my questions…really! Plus, he referred to it as a crossover…come on now!

That's pretty bad. I can understand if he isn't a car guy, but to not understand how a $40K+ thing he's trying to sell is positioned is just ignorant. I wonder if the "truck team" gets any of his commission since he doesn't take the time to learn the product himself.

I'd definitely run to a different dealer. Good luck in your search.

I just did a quick search in my area, and '11s are going for $34-40K, and '10s are going to $32-34K. That's crazy IMO. As an FYI, you can buy a new Grand Cherokee for this or less. I know what I do.

You've planned well....and having smashed my thumb replacing bushings on my 23 year old (built in '89) truck this week...I sure am tempted by a newer vehicle...

I would try and rent one - look for a Hertz, Avis, whatever, near by and drive, I mean really drive the thing...it will be worth the $100 - $200 for a day or two to do with it as you please...

Or see if the "truck team" will let you take one home so you can do more than a test drive (they're ALL nice on the test drive...).

For what it's worth, I think the 4Runner's closest competitors these days are the Jeep Wrangler 4 door, and maybe a loaded Xterra or Pathfinder. The truck based small/midsize SUV is dying, get one while you can.

Last edited:
I do think the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee’s are defiantly worth looking at also. I think they have come a long way in the last few years with styling, fit and finish. I’ve never own a Chrysler-Jeep product, but it seems like a capable off roader…at least for my purposes.

Originally Posted By: Roadking
I do think the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee’s are defiantly worth looking at also. I think they have come a long way in the last few years with styling, fit and finish. I’ve never own a Chrysler-Jeep product, but it seems like a capable off roader…at least for my purposes.

The GC might work for your needs. The latest generation has started to drift into crossover territory, but Jeep knew it still had to have some off road capabilities. The GC has better approach and departure angles than your typical crossover and better ground clearance, and it still has 4 low. Assuming you aren't going to be sliding over boulders and stuff like that it will probably be fine. The interiors and fit and finish are far better than the previous generation.

I think a big part of why Toyota went with a boxy angular look for the 4Runner was to differentiate it from the crossover models. Whereas it used to be a mainstream SUV, it is now becoming more of a specialty vehicle, almost like a baby Land Cruiser. I'm glad they are keeping it true to its roots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back