Thinking about adding drain plugs to K46 hydro.

I've got about 75 hours on my Husqvarna, equipped with the "Dreaded K46 Transmission".I'm aware that regular oil changes in these units is a,good way to make them more reliable and longer lasting. Then, I find out that some bean counter at Husqvarna decided to,save a few cents per unit by deleting the drain plugs. I also see that Tuff Torq sells a kit to add drain plugs to these units. I feel confident in drilling/tapping the drain holes. Getting to the fill hole to refill the box seems easy enough without removing the axle. I would like to determine if its a good idea to drill and tap these small holes without pulling the axle and splitting the cases. I would be able to do an oil change a lot easier than removing the axle and flipping it over to drain it.

Any ideas, or comments on this (probably wacky) idea?

I've considered the same thing. I thought about just drilling a hole and using the rubber oil drain plug like you use for stripped oil pans, rather than threading the AL.

The only thing I would be concerned about is getting metal chips introduced into the unit from the drilling and tapping. Magnets are of no use on Aluminum.
This.

You would probably have more potential for damage by getting metal chips into the case. I have several customers with these transmissions in their lawn tractors. Changing the fluid is a pain, but upgrading to 15w50 synthetic over the factory fill which is 10w30 has helped them last a lot longer. If it was mine, I would run a 15w50 synthetic and change it every 100-150 hours.

The fill hole only allows one chamber to be "sucked out"
I added drain plugs to mine this summer when I pulled it out. I split the case and drilled and tapped it. There are 2 bosses in the casting for drain plugs, its pretty obvious where the plugs go. After having done it I would suggest pulling the unit and splitting the case. There are several good videos on YT that show how to do it. Make sure the case is split with the right side up. If not a lot of parts fall out. The other thing would be to follow directions on where to place the silicone when resealing it.

I would honestly just suck out the fluid from the fill hole every 50-100 hours instead of dropping the transmission or drilling it to put in drain holes. You will get most of the fluid out and it is way easier and won't introduce metal chips into the oil.

You can not suck out half of the oil as there are two chambers of which one you can not reach with a tube from the fill or vent plugs. I dont know what the percentage is, but it sounds like most of the units with the K46 need it removed to access the fill plug plus you should clean the magnets and change the filter. All of this requires opening the unit. At that point you can drill and tap the drain plug holes. This seems like the most sensible apparoch if you are serious about the units longevity. Unless you can fill the unit with out removing the transaxle from the machine, the only benefit of the drain plugs is you can drian it hot and hopefully remove more debris and contaminated oil than tipping it upside down at room temp.

Back