Hydro-Gear EZT 2200 (*Maintenance free) drain plug installation - Craftsman ZTR

Here's a link to another forum where a member drilled and tapped a hole into the Hydro-Gear case and installed a npt plug. However, the casting looks to be very thin, with only a couple threads of engagement for the plug.

Does anyone have any insight into whether JB welding a piece of aluminum flat bar stock (3/16-1/4") to the outside case and then drilling through the bar stock -> jbweld layer -> hydrogear case would cause any problems?

I'm hoping for more thread engagement for drain plug, but will the jbweld (steel based) cause separation from the hydrogear case through thermal expansion (aluminum vs steel) and heat cycling?

I also plan to use a steel automotive style drain plug instead of the tapered npt plug.

Hydro-Gear Drain Plug.png
316barstockaluminum.jpg
drainplugbarstock.png
drainplug.png

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/hydro-gear-drain-plug-install.344074/

personally I would not like that on the bottom of my transmission with how thin the case is. If you hit something I would think a cracked case could be a result. I would either find a way to suck the oil out or remove the transmission for service.

Just my $0.02

personally I would not like that on the bottom of my transmission with how thin the case is. If you hit something I would think a cracked case could be a result. I would either find a way to suck the oil out or remove the transmission for service.

Just my $0.02
It's pretty high up plus there is the mower deck to prevent much for hitting it. But a carefully uncalculated oops could cause an issue like you say.

Since it's not a load fastener, you shouldn't need too many threads of engagement. The finer the thread the better. There are some Loctite products that may be better suited for what your bonding. Not a huge fan of gluing metal, but I'm not very versed in it either.

Back