Think im gonna make the switch to high mileage.. which one?

My '11 f150 5.0 is at 135k. Woukd like to keep this truck much longer so decided might be time to switch to a high mileage oil. Takes 7.7 quarts so don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Im very partial to pennzoil, but I have been using super tech synthetic in this truck.

How is the supertech synthetic HM?
Compared to the pennzoil?

Looking for something synthetic, high mileage, that I can get at wally world. Recommendation?

Why are you switching it to a HM oil, are you having any problems? I ran cars to mileage a lot higher than yours on regular oil. I'm not saying HM oil is going to hurt anything, but in all honesty if you're not having problems I'd stick with what you've been using all along. Having said that if you like Pennzoil and you have your heart set on a HM oil, use theirs, or flip a coin and decide between the two you listed.

Recommendation.... Unlless you have a leaker or burner, I would continue using what has worked for you up to this point. HM oil is not going to make your engine last any longer.

I was just thinking preventative measures? I have 0 issues now, but eventually engines use oil or leak somewhere, was just thinking might be worth it in the long run. Just tossing the idea around. And using 5w20.

Sorry can't find the quote button.. haven't been on here in a while

The "quote" button in now the "Reply" button(on the lower right-next to the "like" button).
But I agree with the other her and keep with what you are doing. Personally, unless you can buy oil on sale/rebate/closeout/discontinued oils, the way most of us would love to score for our oil stash. Unless you work your truck like a mule, I'd just stay with SuperTech Syn.

Last edited:
SuperTech HM, all the oils have the same API rating, so you dont have to give it too much thought as if you should or should not, its just a matter if you want to or not. It may or may not make a difference in the long run but it will not do any harm and makes you feel better about the product your buying for your vehicle.

I was just thinking preventative measures? I have 0 issues now, but eventually engines use oil or leak somewhere, was just thinking might be worth it in the long run. Just tossing the idea around. And using 5w20.

High mileage oils tend to be a bit thicker … but SuperTech has a Dexos 5w30 that can do thicker for cheap …

IMHO preventative would be keeping up with regular oil and filter changes with quality products (lots of them out there) and the other maintenance items like plugs, PCV, trans fluid, transfer case, radiator fluid, etc...

Side Note: I have a 2015 and reading up on the so called heater core issue with the orange (really DexCool) coolant. If you haven't looking into that might be a good idea. the replacement yellow coolant is compatible so you could cheaply do a drain and fill.

See my sig. 4Runner - 265k miles. 1993 F150 - 255k miles. Both using ST SYN (no HM). No plans of ever selling them. No oil usage in 5k OCI's.

I used to like the Pennzoil conventional high mileage oil. Ran really smooth with the triple digit moly. I actually emailed Pennzoil asking them the moly ppm in the Pennzoil conventional high mileage 10W30. I'll post the reply when I get it.

It amazes me that some want to see leaks before useing a HM oil. Be proactive! Use HM oils to hopefully prevent leaks before they start. Keep the seals conditioned all the time instead of trying to reverse seal shrinkage once it has began.

SuperTech HM synthetic is a fantastic oil at a rock bottom price. No need to overpay for anything.

Have no clue why so many people think they need to switch High Mileage Oil. Put 300K miles on my 4.6 Fords and 5..3 Chevrolet's without ever going to High Mileage Oil. None ever used oil between changes and only used what was written on the oil cap.

I’d stick with the Pennzoil oil. It can be high mileage or regular conventional but definitely the Pennzoil since that’s what you like.

Back