things you proactively replace around the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some things you proactively replace around the house? (instead of waiting for them to fail before you replace them)

Some things I thought of:

1. Garage door springs
2. Hoses for washing machine & toilets
3. Garbage disposal
4. Water heater anode rod

how about dishwashers and clothes washers? What part inside them is most likely to fail and cause a big mess?

Batteries in our smoke detectors for one....

As for clothes washers...I think the biggest issue is one or both of supply hoses....although in all my years on this earth, I have never...ever had a supply hose fail.

I haven't replaced any of those proactively. The garage door springs started to get saggy, so I replaced those.

There really aren't any wear items in the dishwasher or clothes washer, except possibly a belt. Our washer, though is direct-drive. I replaced the coupler in it when I had everything apart to dislodge a sock from the drain pump, but I'm not sure I'd call that a "proactive" replacement. I've replaced the heater element and the two thermal switches in the clothes dryer, but not before they failed.

We did the roof earlier this year, and I guess you could call that "proactive" because it didn't fail yet. But the insurance company bought the whole roof after the April 16th tornado, so that was a no-brainer.

The one thing we're planning on replacing, hopefully before it is needed, is the A/C compressor outside, and possibly the condenser up in the attic if also required. The compressor is original to the house, a 1993 model contractor special (Goodman). It's still running strong, even in oppressivly humid North Carolina summers, but we're budgeting for its replacement now, more for financial reasons than anything else.

I think you might want to specify what you mean by "proactive". Some will read that as routine and scheduled maintenance, like smoke/CO detector batteries and HVAC filters, and some will read it as watching something for signs of failure, and getting it done before it bursts.

How about the water heater tank? Do you replace it or wait until it springs a leak? Mine dates to the mid 80s and so would be on a proactive replacement list I guess.

I swap out supply hoses every 5 years. If I'm going to be replacing one faucet washer, I typically just go ahead and replace both.

I live in an old house, so I spend much more time doing reactive repairs than proactive maintenance. Usually, when I'm fixing something, I'll uncover a dozen other problems or things that were never done right to begin with.

I had a run capacitor fail in one of our AC units recently. In the process of replacing that capacitor I discovered the only ones I could buy as a non-tradesperson were cheap imports. I then ordered good quality ones for both that unit and the other one on the house. I should do the same for the contactors but have not gotten around to it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
...like smoke/CO detector batteries ..

I have been told by a local fireman that smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years, including the hard-wired ones.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
How about the water heater tank? Do you replace it or wait until it springs a leak? Mine dates to the mid 80s and so would be on a proactive replacement list I guess.

Around here, you never just replace the anode rod- you replace the whole water heater. The bottom foot of the tank will be filled with calcium before the anode rod is used up.

Other than that, I really do NOT do much pre-failure replacement of things around the house. Most things don't fail so suddenly and catastrophically that you can't just wait for it to happen and then replace whatever it is. I use only braided steel hoses on the toilets, sinks, dishwasher, and clothes washers (and the clothes washers are in the detached garage anyway), so I don't even replace them unless there are some signs of corrosion. I do keep tabs on wiring and replace anything with insulation getting brittle, but so far only the stuff that's 40-50 years old has been a problem. Even the part of the house wired in the 60s are still OK for now.

Oh- I DO replace chrome plated copper sink drain traps proactively because they corrode from the inside out... but I replace them with PVC and then forget about it. And if an HVAC blower motor starts getting noisy, I replace that too.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
...like smoke/CO detector batteries ..

I have been told by a local fireman that smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years, including the hard-wired ones.

I think I believe that. Our hard-wired ones have started false-alarming more in recent years. Including at 1 AM this morning... :-/

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Other than that, I really do NOT do much pre-failure replacement of things around the house. Most things don't fail so suddenly and catastrophically that you can't just wait for it to happen and then replace whatever it is.

True. Replacement of stuff before it breaks is less efficient unless (as you said) the results of a catastrophic failure are unacceptable)

Did the boiler, hoping for efficiency gains.

Stupid thing is so picky though it shuts off at the slightest amount of grime inside. So am spending more on cleaning it.

Have done some windows, too, same reason: efficiency.

Ran the well dry with our top loading washing machine, so got a front loader. This could be considered "fixing a problem".

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
If you periodically lubricate garage door springs, they will last a lot longer. WD40 AND spray white grease.

Wow, lube garage door springs? Learn something new everyday...

I assume it is less lubrication and more rust prevention???

I need to replace mine with freshly lubed new springs I guess!

My idea was to come up with a list of things that, if they fail, would cause tremendous inconvenience or significant damage to the house. Things like furnance filters aren't on my list for that reason.

I always replace my garage springs proactively because I don't want to be stranded at an inopportune time.

But the smoke detector suggestion is good, I didn't think of that.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

How did you get yours to last 25 yrs?

To answer your question: if it's in the garage or if it has a catch pan, I'd wait for it to show signs of failing first. Water heaters won't fail catastrophically. You'll notice rust colored water coming out of the hot tap when it's about to die; at that point you'll have a few days to replace it.

You should also drain & flush it as annual maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back