things you proactively replace around the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke alarms and car seats have expiration dates molded into their plastic.

Somehow I imagine tires will within the next ten years as well.

I keep a lot of parts on hand like replacement electric water heater elements and toilet valves. Seems like I work on plumbing more than anything else. I usually don't replace much till it breaks but I check for leaks around the house often. Smoke alarms I do replace at 10 years or so.

We are on private wells so I keep a new contol box for our pump and two other wells I watch as they are all different HP's.

The plastic (foam?) in car seats supposedly gets brittle and won't protect after a while.

Styrofoam in bike helmets also allegedly breaks down.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Why would car seats have expiration date?

I think he meant to say child car seats. they do indeed have expiration dates. it's a pain when you want to sell one after your kid has outgrown it; better sell it right away.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I just wait for things to break. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

+++++ 1

LOL! I had to laugh as some of these posts! hoses? garbage disposals? foam seats?!?!?! At least you keep the economy going!!!!

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Why would car seats have expiration date?

I think he meant to say child car seats. they do indeed have expiration dates. it's a pain when you want to sell one after your kid has outgrown it; better sell it right away.

I understand that it is a child car seat, but why do they expire? It is not like plastic and cloth would deteriorate after N number of years.

Plastic does degrade. My mum saved our ski boots& skis from when I was a child for my kids. I picked up a 25yr old ski boot and the plastic was brittle and fell apart. The skis I flexed and they snapped.

I have a feeling car seats are no longer monitored by government for safety recalls/issues. Also the snaps/buckle get brittle after so much usage and turn to junk.

Uh.... The topic was "proactively replace". A 25 year old ski boot might be out of line. HELLO!!!!! Sheeeeeesh.

b0a1623a3b0453a6217123a.jpeg

someone else mentioned living in an old house you are constantly repairing things. my 120yo Victorian twin is in pretty good shape, but I have to keep after window sash cords, window glazing, brick pointing, rotting wood, loose door knobs, etc. there is always something that needs attention.

Not exactly on topic. But every year I wheel out the Refrig and carefully clean the coils underneath. I then clean in the back and underneath in the compressor area. My refrigerators last forever. The only reason I replaced my 1972 Amana after 26 years is efficiency. My old refrig drew 10 amps and the new one draws 4 amps. It makes a difference keeping the coils clean.

According to the insurance company I work for, our loss control department recommends that all rubber washing machine hoses be replaced with stainless steel ones.

In addition, they also recommend that all water heaters be replaced every 10 years, for preventive maintenance, since the failure rate of water heaters increases significantly after the 10 year mark.

What I should do and havent is to de-lint the dryer and its exhaust duct. Furnace filter too. Stainless mesh covered washer hoses is [censored]. Hoses leak at the fittings and give plenty of notice.

Originally Posted By: andyd
What I should do and havent is to de-lint the dryer and its exhaust duct. Furnace filter too. Stainless mesh covered washer hoses is [censored]. Hoses leak at the fittings and give plenty of notice.

cleaning the lint trap and vent pipe should be done frequently, furnace filter depends on how dirty it gets. I had to change it a few times each winter when we had oil heat, but I switched to natural gas and it burns a lot cleaner.
washer hoses DO burst; many homes have them mounted in such a way that they bulge where they attach to the valve.

Currently replacing the segments of perfectly working CPVC plumbing(glued joints) with pex. Of course I likely will find the pex degrades in x years. Compared to copper the installation is very quick.

Sounds crazy but when the toilet runs a bit(not often) I go to plumbing shop not lowes/home depot junk and replace the internals of the toilet.

The water chemistry of my well water is hard on plumbing.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
..washer hoses DO burst;...

I have always been curious about the use of stainless mesh covered hoses for the home. Other than preventing damage from the exterior, how does the stainless covering help leakproof the hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back