What House DIY maintenance you do yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I always look out for a very cold day to defrost the freezer and put the frozen food outside temporarily.

My Father use to do it in the Summer and me and my brothers would have snow to play with.
When we started throwing snow-balls at the next-door ladies laundry hanging out to dry, that put an end to it.

I am big on HVAC maintenance, in Texas we use AC almost year round.

Buy a case of a dozen fiberglass filters for the HVAC system, replace once a month. Pour half a cup of white vinegar down the condensate line once every 8 weeks.

Hose off the condenser outside early in the morning about twice a year, and clean the furnace once a year. I use a paint brush and a little shop vac to pick up all the dust.

Caulk the house up every winter, check for cracks anywhere.

Wash windows inside and out, I use a squeegy with a pole and window cleaner concentrate.

I like to dump half a cup into the dishwasher to keep it clean once a month.

Pull off Dryer exhaust hose, and clean it completely with a vent brush.

Change backup batteries in hardwired Smoke Detectors/CO Detectors.

Inspect water heater every other month. Drain once a year.

Clean carpeting twice a year, I bought a machine instead of renting a gross one.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I am big on HVAC maintenance, in Texas we use AC almost year round.

Buy a case of a dozen fiberglass filters for the HVAC system, replace once a month. Pour half a cup of white vinegar down the condensate line once every 8 weeks.

Hose off the condenser outside early in the morning about twice a year, and clean the furnace once a year. I use a paint brush and a little shop vac to pick up all the dust.

Caulk the house up every winter, check for cracks anywhere.

Wash windows inside and out, I use a squeegy with a pole and window cleaner concentrate.

I like to dump half a cup into the dishwasher to keep it clean once a month.

Pull off Dryer exhaust hose, and clean it completely with a vent brush.

Change backup batteries in hardwired Smoke Detectors/CO Detectors.

Inspect water heater every other month. Drain once a year.

Clean carpeting twice a year, I bought a machine instead of renting a gross one.

Thanks very much, noted everything. BTW, how do you clean the furnace? Just open the front panel and clean it everywhere?

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
maverickfhs,

This is the best I can do.
You need to make a List specific to your house and how you live.
Good luck.

House - Preventive Maintenance Schedule

JULY AUGUST SEPTEMBER

1) xxxx & Contents - Check 1) Garage Door Opener - Check 1) Outside Trim - Scrap, Prime, Paint, & Caulk
2) Garage & Yard Photos - Update 2) Generator - Check / See P.M. Notebook 2) Furnace & Thermostat - Check / See List
3) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 3) 3) Storm Windows & Doors - Check
4) 4) Emergency Shelves - Check
5) Window Screens - Clean
6)

OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER

1) Summer Items - From Garage : Into Basement 1) Furnace Filter - Replace 1) Interior House Photos - Update
2) Windows - Clean Outside 2) Snow-Thrower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 2) Device Batteries - Check / See List
3) Outside Water Faucet & Spigets - Shut Off 3) Dehumidifier - Check 3)
4) Garden Tools - Clean 4) Flag - Take Down after Veterans Day (Nov 11)
5) Lawn-Mower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 5) Vacuum Cleaners - Empty
6) Gutters & Downspouts - Check 6) Windows - Check Interior Plastic
7) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 7) Bathroom & Kitchen Windows - Caulk Outside
8) Storm Drains at Street / Curb - Check 8)
9) Garage Door - Clean & Wax
10)

House - (2) Date Revised: 01-12-2017

House - Preventive Maintenance Schedule

JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH

1) Refrigerator - Check 1) Smoke & CO Detectors - Check 1) Plumbing System - Check / See List
2) Washer - Check 2) Fire Extinguishers - Check 2) Electrical System - Check / See List
3) Dryer - Check 3) Security System - Check 3)
4) Central Vacuum - Check 4) Exercise Equipment - Check
5) Sump-Pumps & Alarm System - Check 5) Bird Houses - Clean Out
6) Ovens - Check 6)
7) Hot Water Tank - Check
8) xxxxxxxxxxx - Check
9)

APRIL MAY JUNE

1) Gutters & Downspouts - Check 1) Outside Water Faucet & Spigets - Turn On 1) Vinyl Siding - Clean
2) Windows - Clean Outside 2) House Ceiling Fans - Check 2) Outside Light Fixtures - Check
3) Flag - Put up 3) Snow-Thrower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 3) Next Years Flag - Buy
4) Bathroom & Kitchen Windows - Remove Caulk 4) Garage Door & Track - Clean 4) Garage Ceiling Fans - Check
5) Lawn-Mower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 5) 5) Garage Floor - Clean & Seal
6) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 6) Shed - Check & Clean-Out
7) Sump-Pump Hole - Clean Out 7)
8) Summer Items - From Basement : Into Garage
9) Storm Drains at Street / Curb - Check
10)

House - (1) Date Revised: 02-05-2017

Now I see how the info transferred, (not arranged like on my sheets).
Just make a list of each Month and write under each what you want to do.
For me, this keeps it simple.
I know what I have to do each Month, and I don't worry about other Months (I'll get to them when the time comes)

That can definitely give you some projects throughout the winter months. Maybe some runs to Lowes, HD etc. I love staying busy.

Last edited:
For drain maintenance I bring the garden hose indoors and blast away at the drains with the nozzle. It's the easiest and least traumatic way to clean the traps.

It's really interesting for me to see how much of what people have listed varies with the region or environment.

Here in AK we don't really have to worry about spraying for bugs, except maybe for yellow jackets (nasty stinging wasps) in the spring if we just had a mild winter. We do have carpenter ants, but I've never heard of them building nests in houses here, even though most houses are simple wood framed with T-111 siding. No A/C systems in most houses up here either, as you might imagine. :)

One thing I missed from the list I posted earlier, and haven't seen anyone mention yet, is inspect my garage door springs and hardware. I also spray some silicone lube on the springs.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
This is one reason I do not regret selling my house. No more unpaid part-time job for me!

How much are you paying for rent ?

Just a bit more than I had been paying in property taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back