Thin cleans better, allows longer OCI than thick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Garak
Garak, it's a simple first-order differential equation. Every first-order differential equation has a solution that is an exponential. All it is saying is that the rate of evaporation is proportional to the amount of material remaining. There is no quantum physics here. It's a very basic concept. dy(t)/dt ~ -y(t). This equation pretty much goes into any physical phenomenon.

We don't know the shape of the curve, which means you cannot yet interpolate. We know nothing about the function. And yes, if you want to include time, we do need to find plots as a function of time. Well, you do, not me, because you're trying to introduce time to this.
wink.gif
Of course there's no quantum physics here, which is why the curve matters. It's not a probability curve where only the beginning and end matter with the path irrelevant.

Read Shannow's link here from another thread. At first glance, that's the type of setup one would need to get some appropriate data. And no, the curves they've drawn in their little paper aren't data. But, at least it can be done.

There it is! This reference is thanks to the friendly CharlieBauer:

Determination of the NOACK evaporation loss of lubricants by TGA

This is not the more common ASTM D5800 NOACK evaporation test but an alternate version ASTM D6375 that works much faster (less than half hour) and is more repeatable.

NOACK evaporation precisely has the form of an exponential function exp(-t/T), where t is in hours, and for allowed NOACK's, the curve is very linear for t < 1/2 hour -- exp(-t/T) ~ 1 - t/T.

Note that the initial part of the curve is flat because the sample is still heating. I didn't account for that but that's a small error.

I hope this finally eliminates the skepticism.

In the example provided in the picture, for the given apparatus, the results are read at 17.56 minutes (calibration against the reference oil). Therefore, the sample mass = exp(-[t/17.56]*NOACK) ~ 1 - [t/17.56]*NOACK, where t is in minutes. So, for t = 17.56 minutes, sample mass ~ NOACK.

In fact, this test not only validates my point but uses the exponential form and therefore the linearity for small time of the evaporation for the method to actually work!

IigUc0KkLkydzsFKRAPpV53e7GFYXaCEw0QwwQyLqyNv3pWjwPY4Hck7S9WFzTmGh-M93EhNUdyA2jRfxmCoHHe3Oeo3HyF5imh9Ivhvr-Ioi7dX8nXwG8BAC011_m0z1trMAvReiz-F26Xp8Qy55EXKvIaWepr_zvRvJGYLFL2Yf1iySZsRRwvSWkBdJjjAKf_cLoD56Ra01pSNOaXE9NsHNWLjpT3Ao4_mlSaY1qzFbcFKSg1fI0zjegCIyNbLfalcxJJYusVM4N6Y56UZw-BqL29yxQjf1gNpjaY1fY3oM6uxLbx-ZlbzvvpN6wvVBX3UPaY9M2_XCizpID0GQDw--ken44lHfJYmKJ7nyiJdUfstYJiJpKJ5pAx8lgQ7EgOEHfTzcIM3tofKaYkOWuZ1cttz4fjcDIH_RKUa2BcLDWYRR2Xe9gpN85OH4Tfc8mLsd5h-jnwLXPNmCVh2IZNWld_Bdy2GcZ4EI9L-ySlcLOtBjjiE8HzEQE6bLhD-R4oF3-e3GuMHnUjE3ubBJMvHeMYQvFFwySleoSenbl7QiUfYqptgNI6_nkUYCAlFPcjUSDj9gmqxesCdmTxTpiWRO5VFhxp9nr7YP2Iq=w411-h373-no

Where does Mettler claim that the curve is exponential, and how can 30% (5 minutes out of 17) be declared a “small error”?

NOACK evaporation precisely has the form of an exponential function exp(-t/T), where t is in hours, and for allowed NOACK's, the curve is very linear for t < 1/2 hour -- exp(-t/T) ~ 1 - t/T.

...when that specific methodology is used, and it can be validated by a curve verified experimentally for an oil in question. What variations are we seeing in one formulated oil to another with respect to curves? I think we've got a bit of oversimplification and premature conclusions with respect to the exponential function.

Now, none of this eliminates skepticism. It simply tells me there is a methodology that exists and that a curve can be determined. That does nothing, however, to change the fact that traditionally reported and obtained Noack values do not include time anywhere as a unit.

And, the base oil quality index is another matter altogether. I am merely pointing to some mathematical rigour.

Also, with respect to the time of heating, and I haven't read the methodologies completely, not having the SAE paper, I'd suggest that can't help Noack repeatability, either. Is the time of heating really part of the time of the test? Of course, in either case, it's pretty obvious that a different can of worms is opened up, respectively.

...when that specific methodology is used, and it can be validated by a curve verified experimentally for an oil in question. What variations are we seeing in one formulated oil to another with respect to curves? I think we've got a bit of oversimplification and premature conclusions with respect to the exponential function.

Now, none of this eliminates skepticism. It simply tells me there is a methodology that exists and that a curve can be determined. That does nothing, however, to change the fact that traditionally reported and obtained Noack values do not include time anywhere as a unit.

And, the base oil quality index is another matter altogether. I am merely pointing to some mathematical rigour.

Also, with respect to the time of heating, and I haven't read the methodologies completely, not having the SAE paper, I'd suggest that can't help Noack repeatability, either. Is the time of heating really part of the time of the test? Of course, in either case, it's pretty obvious that a different can of worms is opened up, respectively.

Again, the scope here is not to go into the weeds discussing NOACK. You asked for a real curve and you got it. It's in full agreement with my simple calculation, the scope of which has nothing to the with the details of the NOACK methodology.

Let's agree to disagree here about the units of NOACK, which started this whole thing. I see your point but for some reason it's impossible to make mine across.

Repeating the post with the corrected link for the image.

Garak, it's a simple first-order differential equation. Every first-order differential equation has a solution that is an exponential. All it is saying is that the rate of evaporation is proportional to the amount of material remaining. There is no quantum physics here. It's a very basic concept. dy(t)/dt ~ -y(t). This equation pretty much goes into any physical phenomenon.

We don't know the shape of the curve, which means you cannot yet interpolate. We know nothing about the function. And yes, if you want to include time, we do need to find plots as a function of time. Well, you do, not me, because you're trying to introduce time to this.
wink.gif
Of course there's no quantum physics here, which is why the curve matters. It's not a probability curve where only the beginning and end matter with the path irrelevant.

Read Shannow's link here from another thread. At first glance, that's the type of setup one would need to get some appropriate data. And no, the curves they've drawn in their little paper aren't data. But, at least it can be done.

There it is! This reference is thanks to the friendly CharlieBauer:

Determination of the NOACK evaporation loss of lubricants by TGA

This is not the more common ASTM D5800 NOACK evaporation test but an alternate version ASTM D6375 that works much faster (less than half hour) and is more repeatable.

Note that the initial part of the curve is flat because the sample is still heating. I didn't account for that but that's a small error.

I hope this finally eliminates the skepticism.

In the example provided in the picture, for the given apparatus, the results are read at 17.56 minutes (calibration against the reference oil). Therefore, the sample mass = exp(-[t/17.56]*NOACK) ~ 1 - [t/17.56]*NOACK, where t is in minutes. So, for t = 17.56 minutes, sample mass ~ NOACK.

In fact, this test not only validates my point but uses the exponential form and therefore the linearity for small time of the evaporation for the method to actually work!

5vZZEeQgCgRXt9J5GP25uYdIsbdIIftbBVGAI40ZnTybKbhxMMPPdGPYSO2KMWWPTXptDs8rK8eE82wHtZZQBjCv5rowQs3l5JoPGBLmONMEbc1fmLNbdRFLnDzkgi7ZktnjEhE9dSjQRacU1sWgRgRGZIDuXoLgPKmOOgOzpThLUF0Jmpg8hpYHlB9dha55tRTtPEp1T2azoztbluCJR4d48tsqp_2g5oALIJwcG9MjDv9l3Y0Uswe6oZL4adlnVGwfGlA73Uex6lUf2iuj2HXEt_iqMDu-D2SVND7J89-lTkYlrX0a4YjJHEDwgyNAfJVAFvm6j2wAMUH4QJ16zCwEGG-C4Y7OAQetRImDkIR08a2KMJBEzQiFMUfXngIVY9du-ywLpP3SLLoW3qIi7EsRy00hb8wDnPx2V8dY489jUyPuNc6rTeR0HXT1wssB_BhqCfkD_MOADFlyaGm6_0covJOzJ7VzT7JIxK0ndWc7KOW9rGQaaPLIR6AHM790Oftz67CVvuL3Uo-A7eDzo1bGurJ6c04F9SRwdTGkohrW007T_eT6EwXeFeZaIO0TZIKVOAR4WOiT0g7MLbUifNe89JEaOevybLPzRwmY=w411-h373-no

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Just to be clear I am following his made up theory and laughing at the absurdity of the pretense. The lack of evidence presented and doubling down of the creator of this mess has been delightful.
But certainly cannot be serious, just a troll willing to go the extra mile.

Again, the civility is lost.

That that test is not the standard black test, its a lower cost, faster process that has to be calibrated in time to the black reference oil.

Rest assured, when I find proper black curves, I'll post them.

Not anticipation finding them, as it involves stopping the tests, cooling and weighing the apparatus, then going all over again on a fresh sample from time = 0

Originally Posted By: nap
Where does Mettler claim that the curve is exponential, and how can 30% (5 minutes out of 17) be declared a “small error”?

You have an actual curve with real data. Go ahead; take a ruler and a calculator and see for yourself that the steady-state part of the curve is an exponential function.

Regarding the warm-up time, it's not even an error. The important part of the function here is the steady-state part. All you have to do is to redefine the time zero and the warm-up period is taken care of.

You write:

exp(-NOACK*[t-2.33]/15.23) with an effectively 2.33-minute warm-up

instead of exp(-NOACK*t/17.56) without warm-up

and the equation perfectly holds for the steady-state part. Go ahead and verify the first equation on the graph with your ruler and calculator.

(Note that in the equations NOACK is expressed as a fraction, not a percentage.)

So, the warm-up really drops out of the equation.

No more free math lessons!

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Thin cleans better allows longer drain OCI, so what if it does.

You should be using the OEM grade with approved rating anyway following the recommended OCI.

Been said many times to always use the thinnest grade recommended by the OEM for the given operating conditions.

+1

exp(-NOACK*[t-2.33]/15.23) with an effectively 2.33-minute warm-up

instead of exp(-NOACK*t/17.56) without warm-up

and the equation perfectly holds for the steady-state part. Go ahead and verify the first equation on the graph with your ruler and calculator.

(Note that in the equations NOACK is expressed as a fraction, not a percentage.)

So, the warm-up really drops out of the equation.

No more free math lessons!

If accuracy is really important, here is a better fit:

Fractional mass = exp(-NOACK*[t-0.56]/16.06)

Again, NOACK is expressed as a fraction, not a percentage.

This fit further improves the accuracy because it does not approximate exp(x) ~ 1 + x for x
You can try the same equation for both the red curve with NOACK = 7.80% = 0.0780 and the black curve with NOACK = 10.93% = 0.1093 and it simultaneously fits both of them extremely well.

In conclusion, the NOACK evaporation can very well be represented by an exponential function with a characteristic time constant in the exponent directly proportional to the inverse of the NOACK value.

01.gif

5vZZEeQgCgRXt9J5GP25uYdIsbdIIftbBVGAI40ZnTybKbhxMMPPdGPYSO2KMWWPTXptDs8rK8eE82wHtZZQBjCv5rowQs3l5JoPGBLmONMEbc1fmLNbdRFLnDzkgi7ZktnjEhE9dSjQRacU1sWgRgRGZIDuXoLgPKmOOgOzpThLUF0Jmpg8hpYHlB9dha55tRTtPEp1T2azoztbluCJR4d48tsqp_2g5oALIJwcG9MjDv9l3Y0Uswe6oZL4adlnVGwfGlA73Uex6lUf2iuj2HXEt_iqMDu-D2SVND7J89-lTkYlrX0a4YjJHEDwgyNAfJVAFvm6j2wAMUH4QJ16zCwEGG-C4Y7OAQetRImDkIR08a2KMJBEzQiFMUfXngIVY9du-ywLpP3SLLoW3qIi7EsRy00hb8wDnPx2V8dY489jUyPuNc6rTeR0HXT1wssB_BhqCfkD_MOADFlyaGm6_0covJOzJ7VzT7JIxK0ndWc7KOW9rGQaaPLIR6AHM790Oftz67CVvuL3Uo-A7eDzo1bGurJ6c04F9SRwdTGkohrW007T_eT6EwXeFeZaIO0TZIKVOAR4WOiT0g7MLbUifNe89JEaOevybLPzRwmY=w411-h373-no

How are these calculations related to Thin cleans better, allows longer OCI than thick ???

Taken a wrong turn somewhere ?

Re-Calibrate the GPS !

Like I said earlier...look over there...a bunny

Originally Posted By: Shannow
How are these calculations related to Thin cleans better, allows longer OCI than thick ???

Taken a wrong turn somewhere ?

Re-Calibrate the GPS !

Like I said earlier...look over there...a bunny

Yes, and I wasn't the one who pointed at the bunny.

This is a good time to end this thread. A lot of time has been wasted, especially on my side, on discussing a simple concept that could arguably be anywhere between very useful and plain trash.

To the BOQI.
10.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Just to remind everyone, this is all based on the BOQI index that Gokhan has come up with and is not a official index used by the oil companies.

Just to be clear I am following his made up theory and laughing at the absurdity of the pretense. The lack of evidence presented and doubling down of the creator of this mess has been delightful.
But certainly cannot be serious, just a troll willing to go the extra mile.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I blocked Gokhan a long time ago and have never regretted doing so. His misinformation bordering on trolling has confounded intelligent individuals through the ages. I’m kinda surprised he hasn’t been booted.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I blocked Gokhan a long time ago and have never regretted doing so. His misinformation bordering on trolling has confounded intelligent individuals through the ages. I’m kinda surprised he hasn’t been booted.

Following suit and blocking him.

Did any one block DR Haas his writings were bordering obscene yet his writings were often quoted as fact.

The only reason why we have thin oil in my opinion is for government-mandated fuel economy standards a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback 5 speed manual achieved over 40 miles per gallon on 5/30. The engines lasted way over 300k. I know. I owned one

I believe our Galileo would had fared much better if he were to post this thread in a different forum section (such as the Humor one)....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
The only reason why we have thin oil in my opinion is for government-mandated fuel economy standards a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback 5 speed manual achieved over 40 miles per gallon on 5/30. The engines lasted way over 300k. I know. I owned one

We have a winner.

I stand by my BOQI calculations and find them extremely useful.

They have been shown to predict whether an oil has PAO, GTL, or Group III. What other evidence is needed?

Sure, BOQI has its limitations but it has great use.

Again, this didn't even originate from me but through Chevron base-oil research.

If you don't believe it, don't use it. There is no need for being immature or uncivil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back