Thicker oil or not????

My wife bought a 2021 Bronco Sport with the 1.5L 3 cylinder ecoboost engine. The owners manual specs 5w20.
Well, she traded in a Maxima that used 5w30. I found mobil1 5w30 on a great sale just months before she traded.
So, now I have 30+ quarts of 5w30 mobil1 that I apparently cannot use. Any advice???

My wife bought a 2021 Bronco Sport with the 1.5L 3 cylinder ecoboost engine. The owners manual specs 5w20.
Well, she traded in a Maxima that used 5w30. I found mobil1 5w30 on a great sale just months before she traded.
So, now I have 30+ quarts of 5w30 mobil1 that I apparently cannot use. Any advice???
That engine is way overclocked. If it were my car I'd be using 5w30 or 0w40 at minimum.

Small 1.5L 3-cyl engine with a turbocharger, in a bigger crossover? Use it. And buy more of the same to use for as long as you own the Bronco Sport. If you'll end up doing any significant offroading or upgrades to the engine - switch to 0W40. That engine is greatly overworked, give it some love through slight bump in viscosity.

Use the 5W-30 with confidence. In general every modern Ford engine I've dealt with does better, and has far fewer cam phaser problems with somewhat more viscosity. I run 10W-30 in all my Fords, and change the oil at the 5000 mile mark.

If you consider your engine, half an F150's ecoboost, also consider that the guys who get epic miles from Ecoboost engines are performing regular oil changes and choosing robust oils. Some owners who don't are seeing failures around the 100K mark. On BITOG, you'll see people claim things like "just how many oil related failures are there really?" Well, millions really. Hyundai/Kia, Ford, GM, BMW, and others have all had huge numbers of failures related to extended OCI's and oils too thin for the job.

Engines that have cam chains (I believe the 1.5 has a belt-in-oil cam drive) really need to observe OCI's carefully.

Last edited:
Back