Thicker is better in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by kschachn
How much thick or heavier from 5w20 to 5w30? I cant imagine you guys would feel a difference. I figure going from 5w to a 10w, is where you would feel a difference.

What do you mean?

How much of a difference would you feel going from 5w20 to a 5w30?

I usually use 5W-30 or 10W-30 in my Corolla but I got some 5W-20 Pennzoil HM after rebate $4 a Jug and that is currently in my Toyota absolute zero difference. I has 1300 plus miles on it and the level on the dipstick has barely budged.

I am confused. My friend has a 03 lexus es330. He went from 5w30 to a 10w30 in the summer. He told me the car feels heavier at the throttle. He then switched back to 5w30, he said the engine felt much lighter at throttle. I told him to just stick with 5w30 as 10w is unneccessary for just local driving. Temperatures are under 90F.

Completely imaginary and reflecting a common misunderstanding about what the winter rating means. In fact, for Mobil 1 the 5W-30 is slightly thicker at operating temperature than the 10W-30.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I am confused. My friend has a 03 lexus es330. He went from 5w30 to a 10w30 in the summer. He told me the car feels heavier at the throttle. He then switched back to 5w30, he said the engine felt much lighter at throttle. I told him to just stick with 5w30 as 10w is unneccessary for just local driving. Temperatures are under 90F.

Completely imaginary and reflecting a common misunderstanding about what the winter rating means. In fact, for Mobil 1 the 5W-30 is thicker at operating temperature than the 10W-30.

And yes, he used Mobil 1. 10w-30 felt heavy for him.

When you are talking about thick, are you referring to the data from the Viscosity index or the spec at 40 degree and 100 degree?

Saying "thicker" is better is like saying Large Size gloves are better for everyone. It's an irrational argument.

Completely imaginary and reflecting a common misunderstanding about what the winter rating means. In fact, for Mobil 1 the 5W-30 is slightly thicker at operating temperature than the 10W-30.

[Linked Image]

So ideally, you want lower number at 40C and higher number at 100C?

When you are talking about thick, are you referring to the data from the Viscosity index or the spec at 40 degree and 100 degree?

The two graphs are nearly on top of each other between those two temperatures.

Originally Posted by buster
Saying "thicker" is better is like saying Large Size gloves are better for everyone. It's an irrational argument.

Comment of the day.

Ideally you want a grade that meets the requirements for your engine at operating temperature and is then appropriate for your expected starting conditions. If you are above freezing then any winter rating will be appropriate.

Ideally you want a grade that meets the requirements for your engine at operating temperature and is then appropriate for your expected starting conditions. If you are above freezing then any winter rating will be appropriate.

This.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
The 5 vs 10w will only be noticeable when the engine is cold. Once warmed up you won't feel a difference because they are the same grade at temperature.

A 5w20 vs a 5w30 or 5w40 you could potentially feel a difference when warm but probably not when cold.

There are 0w30s that are actually thicker at temperature (old German Castrol was this way - almost a 40 weight) than a 10w30 or a 5w30. So it likely has nothing to do with the 5 vs the 10, but more likely that the particular 10w30 he used happened to be a thicker oil than the 5w30 (closer to a 40 weight and the 5w30 could have been closer to a 20 weight). I could be using incorrect wording but this is the way I understand it. Different oils can be thicker or thinner even in the same grade.

Last edited:

Completely imaginary and reflecting a common misunderstanding about what the winter rating means. In fact, for Mobil 1 the 5W-30 is thicker at operating temperature than the 10W-30.

And which of the many Mobil 1 oils is the next question. They are all different.

Absolutely correct.

SAE grades are vague...HTHS is actually helpful for operating temperature. Cold rating is simply cold rating and Woodul be better rated as a minimum start temp.

Last edited:

That is not fun anymore right?

This website wouldnt be needed if it is not about comparing oil types and brands...
smile.gif

This website wouldnt be needed if it is not about comparing oil types and brands...
smile.gif

If you mean it isn't endlessly posting answers to endless questions then you are correct.

smile.gif

If you mean it isn't endlessly posting answers to endless questions then you are correct.

🎯

And which of the many Mobil 1 oils is the next question. They are all different.

The regular Mobil 1 (vanila)

*According to graphs I have seen - the cross over point between a 20W and 30W oil occurs at approx. 18 to 23 degrees F. for start up speed / protection. Below say 18 degrees F and the start up protection speed of the 20W begins to show it's advantage .
The 5 vs 10w will only be noticeable when the engine is cold. Once warmed up you won't feel a difference because they are the same grade at temperature.

And only around 0F or below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back