Thick vs thin debate...

I'll agree again. For me I run either 0W30 or 5W30 in both my Jeeps calling for 5W20.

In our Ford Escape,we've used Schaeffer's 5w20 for the last 4 years or so. The last oil change,I decided to try a 5w30 RP HMX. Really can't say there's any difference in the way the vehicle is running.

In our Ford Escape,we've used Schaeffer's 5w20 for the last 4 years or so. The last oil change,I decided to try a 5w30 RP HMX. Really can't say there's any difference in the way the vehicle is running.
I didn't notice a difference in the way either of my Jeeps ran. In all honesty didn't expect to notice a difference.

Redline 5W-30
12.0 and
3.7 HTHS
I'm one of those who refuses to spend money on pricey boutique oils....especially given the number of vehicles in my extended family deep into their 2nd 100,000 spin around the odometer living exclusively on SuperTech and other cheap oils.

M1 or Valvoline bought on sale and/or with rebates is living high-on-the-hog for this simpleton.

I'm one of those who refuses to spend money on pricey boutique oils....especially given the number of vehicles in my extended family deep into their 2nd 100,000 spin around the odometer living exclusively on SuperTech and other cheap oils.

M1 or Valvoline bought on sale and/or with rebates is living high-on-the-hog for this simpleton.
The thread is about thick vs thin oils
Not about being cheap

I can buy a .99 cent cheeseburger and be full
But I’d rather have a bone in rib-eye and be very happy !!!👍

Last edited:
1. Not talking about other countries
2. I never said vehicles recommending 508.00 cannot use thicker oils. I do it all the time
3. What i said is below.

View attachment 41482

View attachment 41484

View attachment 41485

View attachment 41486

...and in the UK/Ireland, ESP X2 is us used in the 1.4T as well. 😉

View attachment 41494

...and in France

View attachment 41499

Also in Germany

View attachment 41504
That is backward compatibility, not what you implied. No. 508.00 is not backward compatible. What that means is that you cannot use 508.00 in an engine that requires 502.00, not other way around. That does not say you cannot use VW502.00 in 1.4TSI. Backward compatibility means whether new approval is compatible with old one.
Mobil1 generally is moving their recommendations to 0W20 where ever it can.
Castrol for UK and Ireland recommends 5W30 LL and 0W40 A3/B4.

Last edited:
@edyvw
I didn't imply anything. I said 508 cannot be back spec'd to vehicles that use 502 which is exactly what the links say.

Oh, I see, Mobil is looking to recommend 0w20 "where ever it can"?

😉 Well, this is from Castrol EU...

Screenshot_20210120-023349_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210120-023843_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I remember that beast well! 1985 He tore it up. Back then he added the exclamation point to the sad Patriots Superbowl when he ran one in.

The devil is in the details though. "Biscut" is street slang. I t was a term I heard as a young cop and thought it was funny. You correctly spelled what most people think of when "biscuit" is stated.

I actually got the devil in the details... :)

I honestly figured there was a different meaning than what was in my head at that moment.... The Fridge was in my head. And the story behind his Bears team nickname.

I asked about the spelling of regular biscuit from my English major lady... And the difference in spelling I kind of thought was there was verified.

So I was not sure given today's way people have of spelling .... What the meaning was of Biscut. Or if it was a purposeful misspelling.

Creative spelling has run wild since I was a kid... Especially with people's children's names.

Interestingly Williams "The Refrigerator" Perry could actually dunk at basketball at his huge size... That is impressive. That's a lot of weight to get up and down.

He was actually a good and decent player on the Bears. Injuries eventually took their toll on William. And his weight did has well.

He has actually had to deal with Guillaume Barre syndrome... Which can be extremely serious. And that had nothing to do with his playing football days.

The thread is about thick vs thin oils
Not about being cheap
That's why I mentioned M1 HM and M1 Truck and SUV. Both are heavy 5/30's. And with sales and rebates can be purchased cheap.

You can keep your "ribeye" oil. In the end it will not serve you any better than any other oil....at least not that you could measure. I'll keep the extra change in my pocket and upgrade to a $3 double cheeseburger

That's why I mentioned M1 HM and M1 Truck and SUV. Both are heavy 5/30's. And with sales and rebates can be purchased cheap.

You can keep your "ribeye" oil. In the end it will not serve you any better than any other oil....at least not that you could measure. I'll keep the extra change in my pocket and upgrade to a $3 double cheeseburger
If my engine liked a cheap oil I’d use it. I’ve tried em with unsatisfactory results. So I’ll keep using Redline for now and be very satisfied.

Yes, from what I can tell 15W40 has always been treated as a heavy duty or truck/diesel grade and held to a higher HTHS standard than the lesser PCMO 40 grades. It still is to this day under J300.

M1 0W40, HTHS = 3.6 cP
GTX 15W40, HTHS = 4.0 cP
I would guess that the HDEO is formulated on the thicker side of the 40 scale . Again just a guess.

Thicker is safer.
Making a blanket statement like that is silly. How about you run 20W-50 in ALL of your vehicles, year-round ?

Your signature says you run 20 weight in your Taurus. You can't get much thinner...

Making a blanket statement like that is silly. How about you run 20W-50 in ALL of your vehicles, year-round ?

Your signature says you run 20 weight in your Taurus. You can't get much thinner...
Maybe a little, but a higher HT/HS does give a higher MOFT and will protect better against metal-to-metal contact under all conditions.

Many manufacturers do suggest a higher grade when towing for example.

Maybe a little, but a higher HT/HS does give a higher MOFT and will protect better against metal-to-metal contact under all conditions.

Many manufacturers do suggest a higher grade when towing for example.
"Blanket statement" - that means ignoring whatever the manufacturer says, even running the absolute thickest one could find like the 60 just posted about or higher (if there is any). My point is, where do you draw the line ? With a blanket statement like his, you wouldn't...

"Blanket statement" - that means ignoring whatever the manufacturer says, even running the absolute thickest one could find like the 60 just posted about or higher (if there is any). My point is, where do you draw the line ? With a blanket statement like his, you wouldn't...
I'd draw the line at about a 3.5 HT/HS which appears to be the magic number for most stringent approvals. But yeah I get what you're saying.

On the other hand a thick oil (as long as the winter rating is appropriate for your expected starting conditions) will not harm an engine, but the reverse can be true. The manufacturer's recommendations are not based solely on the long-term longevity of an engine.

Back