Thick vs thin debate...

like the 60 just posted about or higher (if there is any).
Yep, Penrite HPR 40 25W70

5216E38C-FA28-4CB7-BBDF-3145E58C3238.jpeg

Deal !!
Not a problem and I certainly have before, year round and for years on end. Expect sometimes I ran Penrite HPR 30 20W60 instead, but I’m sure that counts.

View attachment 41558
I too ran 20W50 year round in my 87 Olds Trofeo. I sold it with a little over 350,000 miles on it. Didn’t use or leak a single drop of oil. I still miss that car!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 7.42.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 7.42.28 AM.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 19
Making a blanket statement like that is silly. How about you run 20W-50 in ALL of your vehicles, year-round ?

Your signature says you run 20 weight in your Taurus. You can't get much thinner...

There is a range of thickness within the 20-grade spectrum.

The Taurus says 20 on the cap.

It can take a 30 no problem...

I ran a 2013 F150 5.0 on 0w-40 (specified 5w-20). :hide: (
Guess what? Smooth. Quiet. No loss of power or mpg that I could detect.

So, how is that possible if only takes 0W20? Shouldn't engine disintegrate? By the way your first selection is Sportwagen. That is US model.
All options taken from EU site for EU vehicles.

You seem to misunderstand my entire premise. I am not arguing that vehicles recommending 0W20 can only take one viscosity.

I agree that that's not the case BUT ALSO that 0W-20 is recommended in Europe (as first option for 1.4 TSi), and not just in the CAFE handcuffed U.S.A.

Last edited:
All options taken from EU site for EU vehicles.

You seem to misunderstand my entire premise. I am not arguing that vehicles recommending 0W20 can only take one viscosity.

I agree that that's not the case BUT ALSO that 0W-20 is recommended in Europe (as first option for 1.4 TSi), and not just in the CAFE handcuffed U.S.A.
The reason some engines are desirable with lighter oils is that EU adopted start/stop system earlier. That is why they give options. Actually, Mercedes is pretty clear about that and clearly states which approval is for what kind of exploitation.

That's why I mentioned M1 HM and M1 Truck and SUV. Both are heavy 5/30's. And with sales and rebates can be purchased cheap.

You can keep your "ribeye" oil. In the end it will not serve you any better than any other oil....at least not that you could measure. I'll keep the extra change in my pocket and upgrade to a $3 double cheeseburger
Redline serves me very well and there’s very much a noticeable difference. Well worth the cost

I keep asking my engine what it likes, but it just won’t tell me! :rolleyes:
What was that TV commercial where the engine jumped out of the car and went tearing down the street because it wanted a certain oil? :D

Last edited:
good info!

I would have guessed less blow-by with the increased film thickness ... but I'm just an oil user and not an engine designer.

This engine has thin 0.8mm compression rings and 2mm low tension oil rings. The issue was the greater film thickness was increasing oil transport past the oil rings into the compression rings. The slamming of the oil around the ring lands and the ring grooves was unseating the rings causing flutter. An engine with standard tension oil rings most likely wouldn't encounter that issue no matter how high you spin it.

Back