Thin vs Thick Discussion, Chapter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What some people cannot understand is that these chapters are meant for beginners, in a way that principals are easy to understand as I stated from the start. I am doing these chapters in the best way I can.
I think everyone appreciates the efforts. IMO writings can be somewhat technical, but still basic enough to understand for beginners. Like my comment earlier about "thickness of 10". IMO it would be good to teach readers what that actually means - a measurement unit of viscosity in the units of centistokes (cSt). That's about the only thing associated with oil viscosity that has a unit of measurement (except HTHS is in units of centipoise, cP), so why not introduce it so they understand it when they see KV100 viscosity called out in cSt on oil manufacturer's product spec sheets.

Another good thing IMO would be to show a viscosity vs temperature graph of various oil viscosities, like the Widman tool plots out. A graph like that really helps people understand how oil viscosity changes with temperature.

I understand all these write-up are written at a 101 level, but I don't think it should be so basic that it's lacking some basic oil terminology like viscosity units. And please don't take any comments or criticism from members as negative when it may actually be constructive.

I think everyone appreciates the efforts. IMO writings can be somewhat technical, but still basic enough to understand for beginners. Like my comment earlier about "thickness of 10". IMO it would be good to teach readers what that actually means - a measurement unit of viscosity in the units of centistokes (cSt). That's about the only thing associated with oil viscosity that has a unit of measurement (except HTHS is in units of centipoise, cP), so why not introduce it so they understand it when they see KV100 viscosity called out in cSt on oil manufacturer's product spec sheets.

Another good thing IMO would be to show a viscosity vs temperature graph of various oil viscosities, like the Widman tool plots out. A graph like that really helps people understand how oil viscosity changes with temperature.

I understand all these write-up are written at a 101 level, but I don't think it should be so basic that it's lacking some basic oil terminology like viscosity units. And please don't take any comments or criticism from members as negative when it may actually be constructive.
The Home page starts with MolaKule covering base stocks et al … then you will find other nuggets best to read before the U of BITOG … like this:

The Home page starts with MolaKule covering base stocks et al … then you will find other nuggets best to read before the U of BITOG … like this:

All the more reason to use the correct units so it all ties together with all the other tech write-up links on the home page.

I have received thousands upon thousands of Thanks You's from around the world for the chapters as written. I think I will stick with my current methodology. Anyone is welcome to write their own chapters their own way to help educate others. I do appreciate suggestions and do consider them in my writings. I have changed some things based on suggestions in the past.

AEHaas

Last edited:
When I was a surgeon in training there were professors who explained things to patients. After the professors left, often patients were wholely confused. I would go back and explain things again but in a manor they were able to understand. Too often highly educated people are not able to leave out details that only confuse those with less education. To be able to educate others you have to be able to see things from their level. Only then can you teach them anything.

My goal at this web site is to read and learn from those who know more than I do. Another goal is to educate those who may need help, in a way they can understand. If you can edit my chapters to make them easier to elucidate basic principals then I applaud you. Go for it.

AEHaas
All of that is fine, but this is equivalent to me coming to your patients and trying to explain things in "easier" to understand terms. Leave the oil formulating and explaining to engineers and chemists.

Can someone please explain to me NOACK, and what a Double Double Grande is, thanks?

Since most of my post was deleted, yet not all of it, this isn't even funny now, as it was when written. I obviously know what both are, so attempted to infuse some humor into this thread. I have obviously joined this forum in error, and shouldn't have.
Since I love laughing, and others would rather just report a post, because they lack a sense of humor, this will be my last post on bitog.
To the majority of you who are wonderful, intelligent, yet fun people, I will miss you. To the arrogant jerks, bye bye!

Breanna out.

Since most of my post was deleted, yet not all of it, this isn't even funny now, as it was when written. I obviously know what both are, so attempted to infuse some humor into this thread. I have obviously joined this forum in error, and shouldn't have.
Since I love laughing, and others would rather just report a post, because they lack a sense of humor, this will be my last post on bitog.
To the majority of you who are wonderful, intelligent, yet fun people, I will miss you. To the arrogant jerks, bye bye!

Breanna out.
Don’t do that … figure a third of what I post here is for laughs … I try to put the yellow face by them as a clue
(unless it’s a reply to a joke … already qualified) …

I have received thousands upon thousands of Thanks You's from around the world for the chapters as written. I think I will stick with my current methodology. Anyone is welcome to write their own chapters their own way to help educate others. I do appreciate suggestions and do consider them in my writings. I have changed some things based on suggestions in the past.

AEHaas
I'm sure 540Rat gets lots of thanks too for his "MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA" website blog, but that doesn't mean he's totally accurate in everything he says.

...As I stated in chapter one I would use examples that reveal the principal rather than be totally accurate. I believe that 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 is easier to use as examples than the J300 correct 8 - 12 - 16 - 20 - 30 - 40. Things are easier to visualize in groups of 10, at least for me.

I love teaching.

AEHaas
As do I.

But one has to correctly state the principles and underlying theories before any topic can be properly explained and understood.

For example, one has to understand energy principles, fluid flow and the principles of hydraulics before one can determine how much metabolic power the heart muscle needs to pump blood.

Last edited:
as always good reading! BUT for many the use of "fully synthetic" as on many oil containers can be misleading + noting the oils group would be more accurate as most synthetics after the law change are group III highly processed crude oils unlike group IV PAO + group V esters + others not in other groups + basically a superior man made- formulated REAL synthetic IMO!! as always i appreciate those taking the time to educate the less knowledgeable like myself + others

as always good reading! BUT for many the use of "fully synthetic" as on many oil containers can be misleading + noting the oils group would be more accurate as most synthetics after the law change are group III highly processed crude oils unlike group IV PAO + group V esters + others not in other groups + basically a superior man made- formulated REAL synthetic IMO!! as always i appreciate those taking the time to educate the less knowledgeable like myself + others
There was no "law change".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back