Thick oil...Or thin...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, if we're going to revive a thread that's long-dead, let's put a notice at the top of the "revival" post.

In this case, we need, "Notice: THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!" or something to that effect.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is 5w-20 too thin? Or should I just go ahead with 30w-80 my grandpapi told me to use? This is for an 09 Civic. It says 5w-20 on the oil cap, but I'm scared to use it. Just seems way to thin. I know they only use these thin oils for fuel mileage, sacrificing wear protection.

haha... powertrain warranty is void.

... and as for you, Sunfire, please: 1) go to law school before expressing legal opinions, and 2) take a gander at the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA). In fact, it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to "void" one's warranty. If a manufacturer wants to escape a wty claim, they're allowed to try, but it's their burden to prove that you (or some 3rd party) did something that caused the failure, not the mfr. And even if they succeed in this, you wty is still alive for future claims, not "void" at all. So for example, if you get the bright idea to use SAE 60 wt oil in the dead of winter in Nome Alaska, and you blow up your engine, the mfr would likely win the dispute of the engine claim, but your wty is still good (not VOID) if your trans (or radio, or power windows, etc., etc.) fails later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back