There was a big explosion in Beirut Lebanon

At first I couldn’t figure out how ammonium nitrate was exploding by itself. That’s an oxidizer and generally you need a fuel to go along with it. But apparently there is a mechanism for it to explode on its own, or if the stories of fireworks being stored nearby are true, both combined could certainly make a large explosion.

Anyone leaving large quantities of a powerful oxidizer like ammonium nitrate laying around was asking for trouble. Plain and simple.
The Texas City,Texas explosion of a cargo ship loaded with the fertilizer exploded after a fire broke out on the ship. Hundreds of people went down to the docks to watch the show and were never seen again when 2700 tons of the fertilizer exploded. Large parts of the ship were blown several miles by the explosion. I was a kid and remember reading about a lady that was hanging her wash miles away and was killed when a piece landed on her.

From what I was reading, the ship had mechanical issues and had been docked there temporarily. Then there was an issue with the creditors and various creditors were trying to take possessions of it to satisfy debt. It was then offloaded into the warehouse because it was not safe to store in thes ship.

The Texas City,Texas explosion of a cargo ship loaded with the fertilizer exploded after a fire broke out on the ship. Hundreds of people went down to the docks to watch the show and were never seen again when 2700 tons of the fertilizer exploded. Large parts of the ship were blown several miles by the explosion. I was a kid and remember reading about a lady that was hanging her wash miles away and was killed when a piece landed on her.
My grandfather and uncles were working in Texas City when that happened and each time there was an incident in one of the shipyards or petro-chemical plant after that they would re-tell that story. I remember them telling it several times while growing up.

For context, this anchor was blown 1.6 miles away from the center of the explosion:

1280px-Grandcamp_Anchor.jpg

I have a feeling there's more to it than the news is letting the world know about.

In watching video of the explosion, one can clearly see the fire that was already raging in that warehouse.

The detonation happened in the big plume of smoke rising up. Fire preceded detonation in all of the other ammonium nitrate explosions, too. It’s relatively stable under normal conditions.

Subject it to fire and it’s going to go high order...

Really sad that it destabilized a teetering country in the region. It is never good for their their neighbors or region or really world when countries are in this state.

FBI, along with French investigators, to join investigation into the explosion, specifically, the cause of the fire that apparently triggered the blast:

Back