The ‘Yoda was rear ended

I don't drink the Kool-Aid.....
That did it...lol
boo-ghost.gif

We can disagree here about not really being able to tell if your vehicle has been in an accident-most guys on here are not your average owners-and they nit pick thing to the most absurd degrees.

I hear you. With my daily-drivers, I'm not that picky, nor am I very good at detecting/discerning body work.

My most recent experience was with our 2016 Nissan Quest some years back. My wife crushed the right side rocker panel over a landscape boulder making too tight of a turn out of a parking lot.

The local body shop I like did an amazing job repairing or replacing the rocker panel. I absolutely couldn't tell comparing it to the left side, right down to the seams, texture, rubber body plugs, etc. This was a cash job. No insurance. It's the way I handle any ~$1000 and under repair.

The problem was, a year down the road as I was washing/waxing the vehicle I noticed how much of the new paint on the repaired rocker was chipped away. I visited the body shop on ir. They felt bad, said it's the best they could do with the products they have to use and the fact it's the underside of the rocker, etc.

There's no long term warranties on body work in the rust belt.

Reactions: CKN
A few dollars to none.....there are plenty of misconceptions floating around on this forum about effects of an accident-has been for years.
I appraise trade in used vehicles for a dealership. I've done 1000s of them.
If the damage noted on the CARFAX is under $3000, usually no penalty.
Above that, rule of thumb is 30% deduction of the value of the repair amount off the trade.
Thinking is we will need to discount the vehicle to the next buyer when we disclose the CARFAX record.
If we are close on a deal, do we do less that 30%, yes, at times.

But in general cars with CARFAX records do pull less on trade.

If we don't discount them to the next buyer, why would a buyer pick a car with a crash on record over an alternate with a clean record?
Assumes dealers disclose the CARFAX record of course.... ;) ....which we do on each sale, as per law, and of course customer satisfaction.

I've had the repair shop go to bat for me on this issue. They hammered the adjuster and then told me to call the insurance and hammer some more and they paid for OEM parts. They did the same on supplementals. This was someone else's insurance too.
I had a shop - same one that told me Allstate is the devil do the same for me. This time it was my insurer(AAA) who wanted to install a refurb bumper cover from Keystone. Shop said he will not install those, he’s seen “repaired” tabs tear off and paint delaminate on their primer. AAA gave in.

I had a shop - same one that told me Allstate is the devil do the same for me. This time it was my insurer(AAA) who wanted to install a refurb bumper cover from Keystone. Shop said he will not install those, he’s seen “repaired” tabs tear off and paint delaminate on their primer. AAA gave in.
I think all shops think all insurance is the devil. I've had several shops tell me USAA (my insurer) is a nightmare to deal with too.

Geico used to be good for using crap parts and used rims etc.
Most insurers are. Geico, Allstate and the insurers specializing in DUIs will use cheap parts first. I had an old, ditzy neighbor who rear-ended someone in her Accent. She was eSurance, by Allstate. They replaced the bumper cover/reinforcement/impact absorber, headlamps and sheet metal with aftermarket Chinese or Taiwanese parts. Only thing OEM was the grille.

Probably, after market parts won't be available for a vehicle that new, Unless they are similar to previous model years.
not always Wife was broadsided(sideswipe with damage from ford explorer tire running down side of car) in her less than year old 2020 elantra and they found 2 used (2020) doors and repainted them... after telling us they were using new.:rolleyes:

on the plus side both times I found issue with their repair they gave us another 100$ off.
after second time the manager took it over. Guess they thought they were dealing with my wife....

If you file a claim under your own collision insurance, you typically cannot request OEM parts since almost all policies typically state you agree to accept LKQ parts. However since this is the other driver's policy, you can. I'm not against LKQ parts, but on a 2022 I would want OEM parts.

Oh man that sucks! It's not so much the aftermarket parts that bother me. It's the insurance grade body/paint work on a brand new vehicle. Ugh..
It is the repair facility YOU choose that determines the quality of repair. This fourum is full of speculation and mis information about insurance and repairs. I am a licensed adjuster and appraiser and have been for 15 years. I see estimates from shops everday that request de nib and polish or color sand and buff and normally allow and pay for those operations, if the shop doesnt do them its on the shop not the insurer. It is almost impossible to duplicace the thickness of OEM paint, but it can be almost 90% duplicated.

Reactions: CKN
I have a body shop lined up (hopefully) so that isn’t a concern. He does good work and the ‘rents have had good experience with them.

Resale is a bummer, but we aren’t planning on selling it either. Thankfully it’s nothing with frame or sheet metal damage.

It is the repair facility YOU choose that determines the quality of repair. This fourum is full of speculation and mis information about insurance and repairs. I am a licensed adjuster and appraiser and have been for 15 years. I see estimates from shops everday that request de nib and polish or color sand and buff and normally allow and pay for those operations, if the shop doesnt do them its on the shop not the insurer. It is almost impossible to duplicace the thickness of OEM paint, but it can be almost 90% duplicated.
YEP! And it's been this way for several years...

If you file a claim under your own collision insurance, you typically cannot request OEM parts since almost all policies typically state you agree to accept LKQ parts. However since this is the other driver's policy, you can. I'm not against LKQ parts, but on a 2022 I would want OEM parts.
Our insurance will use OE on this new of a vehicle.

A lady rear ended me at a red light when I was driving the ‘22 4Runner. She admitted fault. No issue there. The bumper is scuffed, but damaged and deformed nonetheless. Sheet metal is fine.

The issue is that she has progressive insurance. The claim lady couldn’t tell me whether or not her (the driver) policy would allow for the use of OE parts. Is this a normal thing? The truck has 1500 miles on it. It’s a no brainer to me.

Part of me wanted to see if they’d make it right, but I suppose not. It looks like I’ll be going through our insurance and they’d just get the money from them in the end. It will just take time.

The same thing happened to my dad 20 years ago. New Tahoe. Factory oil in the sump. A lady with progressive insurance ran into him.
Sorry, I know how it is. Take it to the best Toyota Dealer collision shop in the area and get it fixed to your satisfaction. The insurance company doesn't get to make you go to a cheaper place. Good luck with it.

Probably, after market parts won't be available for a vehicle that new, Unless they are similar to previous model years.
It’s a 12 year old platform. I’m guessing that while a little different, the bumper from a 2010 would work. This was my biggest concern.

2729CC6F-0B1E-42F2-AF6F-ACF8C6168D07.jpeg

I thought I had one showing the difference in the distance between the hatch and bumper on the good and bad side. That really shows it.
89C79E67-42B7-4C74-999D-7902B1D9D8DA.jpeg

I have a body shop lined up (hopefully) so that isn’t a concern. He does good work and the ‘rents have had good experience with them.

Resale is a bummer, but we aren’t planning on selling it either. Thankfully it’s nothing with frame or sheet metal damage.
IMHO-resale issues are non -existent based on the pictures you provided.

A lady rear ended me at a red light when I was driving the ‘22 4Runner. She admitted fault. No issue there. The bumper is scuffed, but damaged and deformed nonetheless. Sheet metal is fine.

The issue is that she has progressive insurance. The claim lady couldn’t tell me whether or not her (the driver) policy would allow for the use of OE parts. Is this a normal thing? The truck has 1500 miles on it. It’s a no brainer to me.

Part of me wanted to see if they’d make it right, but I suppose not. It looks like I’ll be going through our insurance and they’d just get the money from them in the end. It will just take time.

The same thing happened to my dad 20 years ago. New Tahoe. Factory oil in the sump. A lady with progressive insurance ran into him.
Sounds it’s time to drop the old “diminished value“ claim bomb-that’ll teach Progressive to stop blowing cash on advertising (that they should be paying on claims)!

Speculation… Right… I’ve personally been shafted on most insurance claims & repairs from other knucklehead driver’s mistakes, since I started driving in 1980. If the claimant doesn’t push for things to be done correctly, pretty much any insurance company is going to want to pay for shoddy used, or aftermarket, parts to try to save a buck. It’s the nature of the beast-charge as much on premiums as possible, advertise to rope in new customers, and pay out as little as possible. That’s why I don’t have full coverage, except for uninsured motorist property damage, self insured for my mistakes.

Back