The USPS... really lifting off of the throttle.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Since there's a question about the validity of my claims:

Im not sure there is question of validity of your claims, rather just that others arent having that issue, and that other options are by far NOT cheaper. If UPS/Fedex is so much better, why arent you using them?

I have made a money back claim due to an express mail package not being delivered on time. Just once though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If UPS/Fedex is so much better, why arent you using them?

But I am using them as well. If I need something in my hands by a certain date, then I will. Other items aren't as critical as far as the date that they arrive... or it may be that the vendor chooses the shipping method.

But yes, I needed some wheel bearings before the weekend and had them delivered via FedEx. And from that particular vendor, FedEx Ground was *cheaper* that "Priority" Mail.

I think the problems with the USPS have been outlined in others posts. Most problems seem to be related to a decrease in workers. I know my local post office has cut the number of workers almost in half.

No company is perfect. I've had good and bad experiences with the postal service. Sometimes I get my packages earlier than expected, other times, it sits in the same place for 4 days or they actually lose the package.

Unfortunately, I've had more bad than good experiences. Packages that could easily be delivered in 2-3 days take 2-3 weeks. The system around here seems terribly inefficient which may be why they are losing money. For example, one of my packages went from upper state New York into Hartford, CT. Which is about 15 or 20 minutes from the local post office. Then it traveled from Hartford to Springfield, MA and sat there for a day. The next day it returned to CT and got distributed to the local post office. That is an entire day extra, not to mention the wasted fuel, etc, for the package to go out of state and then back in state again. This has happened numerous times with other packages.

I've had negative experiences with FedEx and UPS, but not as many. They just seem to be a bit more dependable. You can also tell the company is under terrible management because its employees always seem very unpleasant.

Since I originally posted this, I've been keeping track of delivery time, with emphasis of where the package originated.

And to make a long story short... the problem is on the east coast, specifically the states of New York and New Jersey.

I'm in Illinois, and can get packages twice as fast from California or Texas... than I can from New York (even though I'm a lot closer to NY than California).

To put it bluntly, there is no "Service" in the United States Postal Service, when the package originates in (or has to pass through) New York or New Jersey.

I guess I should be thankful that they make it through NY/NJ at all.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I've shipped about 1,000 items in the last few years, 99.9% of them by USPS.

I've had exactly two problems. These two items were delayed. Both were delivered, but they took about an extra week.

I haven't had the problems people in this thread are claiming. Overall, USPS service has been fast and very reliable for me. It's far cheaper than rates I can get by UPS and Fedex, and both have given me worse service.

Also, I just had an item delivered by USPS priority this week, one of many I've had. It took exactly two days.

I've had a very similar experience, which I think is
EXCEPTIONALLY good service.

I'm good with my local post office and home delivery. They are lots of young looking people with serious looks on their faces. I had a meeting with my local mail carrier and we worked out a new location for my mailbox that was a win/win for both of us. If you deal with people , treat them as you would like to be treated. If some entity has offended you, the first contact shouldn't be antagonistic. Nor should any contacts be negative.Curb your tongue. Why fight with somebody handling your stuff? When I mail something I let the clerk tell me what to do. I do it and my mail gets where it is going. I have mailed many small used car parts and gotten a tracking # and everything gets where it is s'posed to. When I was shipping and receiving mux parts, I tried to get along with the Fed Ex, UPS, etc guys. They're just trying to make it through the day too.
smile.gif

The only reason USPS survives is because billions of tax dollars are pumped into it every quarter. How is it possible that the managers of this money pit continue to be employed year after year? There are many examples of similar business models that actually turn a hefty profit every year, why can't USPS do better?

How much is first class mail now a day, 49 cents ? Just try to send a mail from Main to Hawaii with Fed-Ex, UPS to see how much it costs. In your case, from CA to Hawaii.

USPS priority mail flat rate small box or regular envelop 12"x9" is less than $6 from anywhere in USA to anywhere in USA. How much it costs with Fed-Ex and UPS ?

USPS didn't get any money from tax payers, to raise first class mail postage they need approval from Congress.

It's clearly to be profitable first class stamp should be around $1, priority mail flat rate small box should be around $8-10.

For such low cost of mailing/shipping USPS is doing great job.

Yes USPS is cheap and fast if you consider flat rate boxes go from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the US in 2-3 days.

What is strange about their losses is they say email has killed letters but internet shopping has increased package delivery so should be a profit center. But I think their pricing is too low and people take advantage.

Ebayers procure free shipping materials and use them in unintended ways. I received a bottle of wax well wrapped in multiple padded USPS priority envelopes. You can fit a box larger than a small flat rate box in their largest envelope also.

For the few items I've sold or documents I've sent securely abroad, nobody came close to the USPS price.

One of the best excuses I've seen for delayed delivery was "there's been some sort of an emergency." What sort of an emergency could take place that would delay a package delivery?

The only reason USPS survives is because billions of tax dollars are pumped into it every quarter.
This is not true.

The Post Office also has a mandate to deliver to everybody, deliver audio tape reading material for the blind, etc that the for-profit entities skip over. They're infrastructure that exists so our first-world country can communicate, do business, etc. As government or quasi-government entities go it has the highest citizen approval rating.

This thread is from 30 March 2013.

Some things never change !!
Yeah but its gotten far worse in the last year, in an effort to make USPS "profitable", reducing a critical service. The current head of the USPS stands to gain personally from UPS/Fedex making more money. The only thing that is needed to fix the USPS is to remove the mandate for them to pre-fund retiree benefits 75 years (or whatever insane number it is) in advance. That is the main reason they are in the red.

Back