The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

Are there any YTers who don’t catch hate around here? Amateurs get trashed. Professionals get trashed. Trash talkers get trashed.

I imagine it is pretty hard to create compelling content on the regular about something as mundane as oil. I’ve seen less shade tossed at the junior high school girls lunch table. Give him a break. Let him eat.

Fuel Dilution.

The new bogey man.

There are ways to control and ameliorate fuel dilution.
Yep; change the oil. While some DI engines have better designs than others, I have not seen anything to actually combat fuel dilution other than increasing the viscosity from the onset (to buy time) and change the oil when the dilution reaches too high of a number.

How high can be dependent on the engine and operating conditions.

Yep; change the oil. While some DI engines have better designs than others, I have not seen anything to actually combat fuel dilution other than increasing the viscosity from the onset (to buy time) and change the oil when the dilution reaches too high of a number.

How high can be dependent on the engine and operating conditions.
Oddly our 1.5T fuel diluter CRV DOES NOT fuel dilute

Premium fuel and good 0W-30

Too easy

Last edited:
Neither Dave nor Lake are the typical Youtube experts. Daves owned a thriving repair and engine business for something like 40 yrs and Lake has some pretty serious credentials on top of having an oil analysis business. I would imagine he has a few reports that make their way across his computer due to that. If someone is trying to vet a Youtube source I think these two are pretty solid sources.

Does anybody have any statistical evidence that DI gasoline engines are failing (due to lube related problems) at an earlier mileage than non DI? Most high volume brands are at least a decade into production with it so early returns should be coming in if it's problematic.

Oddly our 1.5T fuel diluter CRV DOES NOT fuel dilute

Premium fuel and good 0W-30

Too easy
Why did you go up to 0w30 on a 0w20 engine? I have 3 CR-Vs in the family, maybe I should make a change?

Agree for some engines--same old methods apply. Sadly, not all are so fortunate and for those, only the 2 things I noted can help.
No. Incomplete.

ADD THIS: Run premium fuel and without the knock sensors leading to more fuel per fuel map planning, you will have less fuel dilution. I realize in SOME (not areas) the cost for premium fuel is nuts, but here 100% worth it.

I change the oil annually on the 2017, now over 100K miles. Zero issues.

No. Incomplete.

ADD THIS: Run premium fuel and without the knock sensors leading to more fuel per fuel map planning, you will have less fuel dilution. I realize in SOME (not areas) the cost for premium fuel is nuts, but here 100% worth it.

I change the oil annually on the 2017, now over 100K miles. Zero issues.
Meh, perhaps only if the engine is knocking due to LSPI (and higher octane helps) and/or the engine is tuned to use premium--otherwise a waste.

I run premium 100% of the time in my Bronco, it still has dilution...

Neither Dave nor Lake are the typical Youtube experts. Daves owned a thriving repair and engine business for something like 40 yrs and Lake has some pretty serious credentials on top of having an oil analysis business. I would imagine he has a few reports that make their way across his computer due to that. If someone is trying to vet a Youtube source I think these two are pretty solid sources.

While that is true, at the same time Lake often says things that are not quite true. A recent video where he's talking about M1 0w40, he says the FS on the label means full synthetic but yet it actually stands for FULL SAPS. Big difference there. And in this video in question when they are talking about how the manufacturers are calling for longer oil change intervals being extended and all that needs to happen is for the engine to just get past the warranty period, that's total nonsense too. No manufacturer in their right mind would want their engines to be dying just shortly after the warranty is up. Nobody would buy their cars anymore. There are a few manufacturers out there whose reputation was built on having long lasting engines (Toyota, Honda, Volvo) and there is no way they want to sully that reputation with a bunch of dead engines.

Lake does have a lot of oil knowledge, but it's very odd that with all of his oil analysis expertise he still says that we need to do shorter oil change intervals. The data he's looking at on a daily basis proves otherwise.

Meh, perhaps only if the engine is knocking due to LSPI (and higher octane helps) and/or the engine is tuned to use premium--otherwise a waste.

I run premium 100% of the time in my Bronco, it still has dilution...
Meh. Engines don't knock only because LSPI.
All 2020's 1 CR-! Hybrid and 2 regular 1.5T

I never did an oil analysis to see if there is any dilution. I don't recall smellin gasolinn when changing the oil.
Your 1.5T's I would run 0W-30. I know nothing of the Hybrid engine. What is it?

Meh. Engines don't knock only because LSPI.
Agree, but most that have the ability to knock have sensors to retard the timing and stop the knock.

It would be a curious finding for premium fuel to stop dilution given the reason that it happens in the first place, but stranger things have happened.

While that is true, at the same time Lake often says things that are not quite true. A recent video where he's talking about M1 0w40, he says the FS on the label means full synthetic but yet it actually stands for FULL SAPS. Big difference there. And in this video in question when they are talking about how the manufacturers are calling for longer oil change intervals being extended and all that needs to happen is for the engine to just get past the warranty period, that's total nonsense too. No manufacturer in their right mind would want their engines to be dying just shortly after the warranty is up. Nobody would buy their cars anymore. There are a few manufacturers out there whose reputation was built on having long lasting engines (Toyota, Honda, Volvo) and there is no way they want to sully that reputation with a bunch of dead engines.

Lake does have a lot of oil knowledge, but it's very odd that with all of his oil analysis expertise he still says that we need to do shorter oil change intervals. The data he's looking at on a daily basis proves otherwise.
Well said.

They are just talking. I agree they are NOT idiots. They lead great lives from an outside appearance (who really knows). But they say some very odd things and BITOG would be remiss if we did not take them to task.
The hybrid has a 2.0 NA, I believe it is an older engine.
Not sure if notorious fuel diluter.

Back