The thin grease for firearms

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
This Mobil 28 Grease gets really good reviews on Amazon. 10 cc probably enough to last forever for most people, so the price isn't bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-28-Grease-Specifically-MIL-G-21164D/dp/B00XIQHOAW/

Great find! Didn't realize this product was ancient!
crazy2.gif

https://www.exxonmobil.com/en/aviation/products-and-services/Products/Mobilgrease-28

Think I'll throw one in the cart next time I get something on Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
This Mobil 28 Grease gets really good reviews on Amazon. 10 cc probably enough to last forever for most people, so the price isn't bad.

Great find! Didn't realize this product was ancient!
crazy2.gif

https://www.exxonmobil.com/en/aviation/products-and-services/Products/Mobilgrease-28

Think I'll throw one in the cart next time I get something on Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

Let me know what you think of it.

grease for lubrication? = any synthetic grease, light coat
grease to prevent corrosion = marine synthetic grease

I like Peak marine synthetic grease from pep boys, cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and I use it for my reels and guns, I use on my battery posts, any thing that might corrode on my truck, hey, it might even bring hair back on my head.

Not to be Capt. Obvious, but when it comes to grease on guns, one important thing is to clean out and replace regularly. Grease is an even better crud collector than oil.
But if one applies in moderation and cleans out and replaces after the gun is used, I'm fairly certain any number of greases from the gun-care aisle, auto store or hardware store will do the truck quite well.
I've seen threads on gun board go for pages, for instance, on what to use on choke tubes or which to use on trunions, knuckles and forearm irons on O/U shotguns. Fact is, it's a pretty low-demand application. Over the years, I've used a boatload of different things ranging from stuff specifically marked "choke tube lube" to white lithium to Mobil 1 to Zebco reel grease to Super Lube to Lubriplate. All of 'em, when changed out during routine cleaning, performed well. My quest for just the right product, IMO, was more or less pointless.
IMO, find something you like, and if you can save some bucks while at it, better yet.
And small tubes, though not cost efficient, are very nice for clean/lube kits that travel in the range or hunting bag, IMO. Of course, one can also buy a larger container to save a few bucks and transfer some into a little jar or into a syringe.
Again, though, I've found a syringe full or a tube of an ounce or so lasts a long, long time.
JMO/YMMV.

Ive used Tetra grease, Shooters Choice grease, TW25B grease, and ALG Very thin gun grease.

All are very good and I can recommend all of them. I am using and have used ALG Very thin grease for the past several years, and prefer it. You really cant go wrong with this grease.

Worrying about the cost per gallon is just stupid. A 1 ounce container of grease (ALG is 4 ounces) will last you a very , very long time. And cost the same as a single box of ammo. Or a cheeseburger meal at the fast food joint.

Buy this stuff, you wont be disappointed.
https://algdefense.com/alg-go-juice-grease-4-oz-437.html

#2 wheel bearing grease at the auto parts store thats cheap, is too thick. Guns really do prefer a thin grease. You can get away with #2 wheel bearing grease, but you have to use a very small amount, and still, its too thick, in my opinion.

What JohnG said...
Except I mix the STP with motor oil... many years ago I bought a tube of STP, yes a 4 oz. squeeze tube... and still using it ! I add a bit of it to whatever synthetic motor oil I have in an old small 20 ml clp bottle til I get the right viscosity... works great... and I have just used a thin film of the STP alone on slide rails... but tend to prefer it with a little oil. I use MMO to clean out barrel residue and usually WD40 to clean everything else.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm launching $1.25/rd 5.56 downrange. Lube cost isn't a factor.

If you're paying $1.25 a round you are buying your ammo at the wrong places.

Last edited:
I don't mind paying for performance, and I'd concur that clean & lube costs are a minor fraction of the expense for the entire shooting & hunting experience. I'm also an inveterate experimenter, so I've tried a whole of products just can't I can't shake the "Well, I want to see for myself" syndrome.
That said, there's also a point where I have stop to and wonder about at what point one is not paying for actual performance but is instead paying for hype and/or marketing. There's a whole lot of tribologists out there and I'm guessing most would agree that (a) most firearm applications are relatively low-demand and (b) there's really not that much new lubrication science under the sun or at least no "Eureka!" discovery that's rewritten the rules of the game.
I mean, what did "miracle" products like Frog Lube, FireClean and Mill-Com teach us? Personally, I'm going with, "There's a lot of guys out there really good at re-branding known formulations, overcharging a buttload for 'em and taking home a million bucks ... all while providing a product that's dang far from the miraculous advancement it claims to be.
Gun Butter's another, IMO. Nice performing stuff, actually ... but it's selling for more than $31 per ounce. Come on, that's just silly.
So while I completely get the argument that clean/lube products are relatively low overall cost of shooting and it's true you don't need much," there's a price point where I go, "Nah, let some other dude contribute to someone's millionaire dreams."

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm launching $1.25/rd 5.56 downrange. Lube cost isn't a factor.

If you're paying $1.25 a round you are buying your ammo at the wrong places.

I have a penchant for quality things. I'm launching 70gr tsx at 2800ish from a 14.5.

I've used FrogLube on all of our firearms for the last 6 years. I did use regular gun oil and Lubriplate 105 assembly grease on them, but the smell always got to me. Even regular old Hoppe's bore cleaner will send me into a migraine from the smell.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I've used FrogLube on all of our firearms for the last 6 years. I did use regular gun oil and Lubriplate 105 assembly grease on them, but the smell always got to me. Even regular old Hoppe's bore cleaner will send me into a migraine from the smell.

L8R,
Matt

Gee I always though that Hoppe's made the best Men's cologne you could get?

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan

L8R,
Matt

The smell of gun oil or 105 grease bothers you? Heck, I can't even smell 105 unless my face is in a tub of it! You sir must have one fine sniffer!

I'm another one of the heretics who's never dug the smell of Hoppe's solvent.
I use Kroil for carbon, plastic and lead fouling and Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV when I need to get copper out.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Gee I always though that Hoppe's made the best Men's cologne you could get?

Trust me. When smells like that trigger heavy migraines followed with nosebleeds, you don't want to be anywhere near it!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Similar to Lucas "Red & Tacky" grease which I use ...

*The curved syringes shown are actually veterinarian syringes to irrigate animal ears - works just fine to lube slide rails too !

Back