The Perfect Severe Schedule Synthetic Oil : Super Tech ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was worried about following the service interval and having to change every 3750 miles on my Hyundai, I would use ST conventional if I was buying oil full price.
I would also look at Rural King oil if available in your area, somebody said conventional is like $8/jug right now.

As said, if you plan ahead, you can usually get 2 jugs of Mobil 1 and 2 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum every 6 months for the same price (after rebate) or less as ST conventional.

For my Hyundai GDI, I am doing a 5,000 mile/6 month OCI from my stash with cheap synthetics from clearance/rebates.

Originally Posted by dave1251
At everyday price this is likely the easiest and most cost effective brand you can buy. There is no reason not to go this route when it saves you money.

While under warranty with a manufacturer that recommends 6k or fewer OCI's, why not run something cost effective? Supertech Syn has a perfectly fine D1G2/SN+ add pack and is a full synthetic.

Are we really recommending a name brand conventional over a FULL Syn when prices are the same/similar?

Yea run a regular oil for 4k or less. If doing 6-7500k then use a synthetic in that motor.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by CT8
With a 3750 mile oil change intervals why would a syn oil be needed...

This, especially in a mild Georgia climate.
PYB would be a good choice.

*Hyundai dealers are using a min. of "Syn Blend" in GDI engines for various reasons - you can search for what those reasons are (mainly cleaning , lower NOACK , etc.)

Just as an FYI, in the 5w30 grade ST synth is likely to be virtually identical to MAG 1 and amazonbasics synth (among others) as they have the same dexos1 Gen 2 license #.
I didn't look for other grades because I didn't care about them!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by CT8
With a 3750 mile oil change intervals why would a syn oil be needed...

This, especially in a mild Georgia climate.
PYB would be a good choice.

*Hyundai dealers are using a min. of "Syn Blend" in GDI engines for various reasons - you can search for what those reasons are (mainly cleaning , lower NOACK , etc.)

"Synthetic Blend" is another interchangeable term for "conventional". There has to be additional certs/specs the oil meets.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
With my 2017 GDI engine Sonata and driving pattern requiring me to follow a severe schedule OCI (3,750 mile OCI) - why am I bothering with synthetic 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oils that cost 50% more ? *Would there be any difference running Super Tech Synthetic D1 / Gen 2 5W30 ($17) against synthetic offerings from Mobil 1 , Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced ($26) over the course of a 3,750 mile severe service schedule ? ... If I wanted to splurge , there is QSUD for $19 . Even if Warren oil company (Super Tech) has to qualify their 5W30 to BARELY meet D1 / Gen 2 specification requirements - would that oil not be good for at least a 3,750 mile severe service OCI ?

That Supertech oil I pass by every time I need a new oil change my have always been ideal for my severe schedule GDI engine needs ... If I was concerned with cleaning ability versus more expensive synthetic oils I mentioned - then I could add 5 oz. of Seafoam to the oil and run it for 100 miles before the next oil change to clean up the engine (debatable if even needed with Supertech Synthetic oil in the crankcase for only a 3,750 mile OCI) ... Your thoughts on above ?

SuperTech Synthetic can easily do 3750 miles (6000km), and likely further. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in your application and extend beyond 3750 with UOA.

Can't blame your logic, I'm starting to feel the same. Put ST in the Lexus last OCI and have it for the truck on the next!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I dont understand the sub 4K OCI. What in the OP's driving pattern would warrant this severe schedule - other than frequent very short trips.

Use an oil the car likes. I wouldnt cheap out. Who cares 17 bucks a change or 24 bucks a change. Youll never miss that 7 bucks over 3 months. Never.

Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge Professional. or Edge Gold Bottle. Third runner up Quaker State UD.

*Hyundai stated if 90% of my driving pattern was in "county X" where I reside - then I must definitely adhere to the severe service schedule (3,750 miles) for oil changes and if I do them myself I better be holding on to those oil receipts !
That's a nice way of saying Hyundai will " take me to task " on oil change interval - especially with known connecting rod bearings being an issue on 2015 - present 2.4L GDI engines .

I must be very encourageable, in the span of two weeks I've changed my mind twice. Purchased 0w20 super tech for my 2018 Silverado, returned it, went with the Pennzoil Platinum...have it in there now for my 5,000 mile OCI. Will be going back to the Super Tech for my next one.

When looking at these dexos approved 0w20 synthetics I'm not seeing enough of a difference - if any - between the Super Tech and your Quaker States, Pennzoil's and Mobil 1's. At least for 5,000-6,000 oci.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Just as an FYI, in the 5w30 grade ST synth is likely to be virtually identical to MAG 1 and amazonbasics synth (among others) as they have the same dexos1 Gen 2 license #.
I didn't look for other grades because I didn't care about them!

Wow, I was just poking around on the MAG 1 site and Warren shares a LOT of info about their oils!

https://mag1.com/products/33/pds/

CCS is good at 4400cP/-30C (spec maximum is something over 6000).
Noack loss is just under the d1G2 spec at 12%.
HTHS is 3.2 cP, up there with Synpower as one of the highest I have seen for an SN/GF5 oil.

Nothing wrong with switching to ST Syn or any Conventional. Don't listen to those who term it..."cheapening out". If the oil works, use it, and at 3750 - 5000 miles, i don't see why it would not.

Lots of inexpensive quality oils out there.
Formula Shell (Home Depot), Havoline, QSGB and ST (Walmart), Mobil Special (BJs). All of which offer you quality oil for an upfront savings (no rebate necessary).

Some nice store brand oils too...
NAPA and STP come to mind.

I've thought about doing the same many times but i'm OCD so don't listen to my choices for me. Lol.

The question is why pay full price for any oil? There are rebates and clearances going on all the time.

Originally Posted by wemay
Nothing wrong with switching to ST Syn or any Conventional. Don't listen to those who term it..."cheapening out". If the oil works, use it, and at 3750 - 5000 miles, i don't see why it would not.

Formula Shell (Home Depot), Havoline, QSGB and ST (Walmart), Mobil Special (BJs). All of which offer you quality oil for an upfront savings (no rebate necessary).

I've thought about doing the same many times but i'm OCD so don't listen to my choices for me. Lol.

My personal favorite now is Chevron Supreme. It's literally the cheapest 5-quart jug I see at Walmart at $12.42. Even cheaper than SuperTech ($12.82). This is the same price I see on shelves.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Supreme-Motor-Oil-5W20/46683810

I remember when Chevron Supreme was one of the first "conventional" motor oils that claimed to use Group II/II+ base oils. That was back when they labeled it "Isosyn".

Not sure why this matters so much when 5quart jugs of "the good stuff" can be had for ~$25 from a variety of places (on-line, in-store, etc.).

Originally Posted by wemay

Supertech (WPP) was easily as good as or better than Valvoline or Castrol Syntec for quite a while long time ago. Stuff ran great in the 90's when I used it in the Wife's Suzuki Vitara. I didnt like it in my Rogue recently. Oh yeah I tried it.. I even check that the bottles were NOT OPEND and reshelved ( a Walmart customer passtime crime)
The Rogue wanted better oil. If I try one that's better, FOR A COUPLE DOLLARS MORE, then I'm gonna use THAT until I find one better than THAT. I'm talking 17-25 dollar a jug price range. Right now the Winner and current Champ-EEN is:

VALVOLINE ADVANCED SYNTHETIC

Last edited:
y_p_w , we don't get Chevron Supreme at any of the Walmart near here, only Havoline.

full fake synthetics as most are have benefits over lesser oils both hot + cold as well as better additives. SKIP the semi-syns there are NO requirements for how much synthetic usually group 3 is in the blend. i am switching everything i service to supertec lubes excepting my hot rod TT, i will use their euro 5-40 in girlfriends thirsty 13 2.5L malibu if it ever comes to usa, until then its amazon basics 5-40 euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back