The orange fruit of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now consider "Florida Orange" stickers a warning label not a buying point. The FRAM reference is valid.

I understand that Florida is having major problems with citrous cancour, but honestly over the last 7 years, 75% of oranges I have purchased have been truly substandard. The last straw was 20lbs of fund raising oranges I bought that were impossible to peel and sinuous. There was plenty of pulp, but 0 (that's zero) taste. I would have been more comfortable just giving the $20 to the scouts; now I have a box of #@$%! fruit I have to eat. (I should be thankful just to have food i guess)

A truly great banding is going down in flames; for the sake of the label "Florida orange" I might suggest more stringent controls on what leaves the state.

/rant

-Thomas
puke.gif

I've found that it's a roll of the dice in buying and type of fruit these days. Oranges, apples, bananas, grapes, sometimes one bunch will have flavor but not the next.

One thing that really chaps my butt is these foreign grown apples, I think from Argentina. They have a very heavy wax coating to prevent rotting on the boat ride over here, and taste like cardboard. We have the best apples in the world, grown in Washington state, but yet are force-fed this Argentine junk. Screw NAFTA!
(End of rant)
mad.gif

The world is screwy.

Why are you guys getting Oz oranges, when we get our rubbush oranges sent over from the U.S. ?

The reason that some times of the year you have to endure improted apples, is that the domestic supplies have been exhausted. NW commercial apples are harvested in late August and Sept. These are held at just above freezing for sale till supplies are exhausted, usually the following June to July time period. Although last season the Stemilt Red Delicious lasted the entire year. This year we had our first new crop at the store in Early Sept. The local Jonothans were available in Late August..

I have a half bushel of fresh picked Texas grown Navels and Rio Red Grapefruit. They are very tasty.
drool.gif

Thanks for the apple info, Hermann. This wasn't the case last summer though, when Sam's had Argentine apples side by side with Washington apples. The Argentines were cheaper. Now tell me how that happens.....

My first thought was that our government was paying subsidies to the Argentine government so American apples could be undercut in pricing. Using MY tax money. Just to support free trade.

Now I find that Argentina isn't in NAFTA. Maybe it was Chilean apples. Is Chile in NAFTA?

(Note to self: Gotta take my Lithium pills and calm down.......)

Does anyone else get oranges occasionally that are almost completely dry on one end? I hate that, its almost like biting into cabbage.

You know what I miss is Gerorgia pink/red flesh peach's!!! All the garbage we get sent to Michigan is the yellow flesh peach's just like "Yellow Cling Canned Peach's"! I also like the wild oranges and pecans I used to buy in Gerogia. I have to admit all of the produce was great when I lived down south! These Yankee's do not know what good produce is even suposed to look like and they will buy anything!!! THe melons are dreadful here in Michigan. They are usualy still frozen when they put them out and they are overly ripe. Apples are one of the few things that seem to arive in Michigan once our native supply run out that are decent!

Quote:

Thanks for the apple info, Hermann. This wasn't the case last summer though, when Sam's had Argentine apples side by side with Washington apples. The Argentines were cheaper. Now tell me how that happens.....

My first thought was that our government was paying subsidies to the Argentine government so American apples could be undercut in pricing. Using MY tax money. Just to support free trade.

Now I find that Argentina isn't in NAFTA. Maybe it was Chilean apples. Is Chile in NAFTA?

(Note to self: Gotta take my Lithium pills and calm down.......)

Maybe before you complain about something, it would be a good thing to know what you're complaining about.
NAFTA = North American Free Trade Agreement. Not only Argentina, but Chile, as well are in SOUTH America. I suggest glancing at a map once in a while.

Mark, that was simply a tongue-in-cheek half-hearted attempt at humor. And everyone knows where South America is, it's Texas.

Speaking of oranges, the wife brought home some California Navels tonight, that were loaded with flavor. I'll agree that they're much better than the Florida stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back