The Oil Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few other "contenders":

Who remembers Gulfpride from the late '60s, and its big brother, Gulfpride Formula G? Gulf oils had a solid following back then. No-nox and Gulfpride, two neighborhood staples of the era.

How about Havoline Supreme from the early '70s?

The original M1 introduction was an earthquake upon the lubrication landscape if I recall.

And of course, the most misunderstood oil of them all. . . ARCO Graphite.

Unbranded, bulk, greenish oil displayed outdoors in quart glass bottles with metal pouring spouts on wire racks at roadside gas stations in the early fifties. Don't remember that, newbs? Obviously, you weren't, "there".
wink.gif
(Gasoline was about fifteen cents a gallon, too.)

Amalie 20W50-my early '70s Yamaha 650s loved that stuff. Nothing else held up to that south Georgia heat and long runs at high speed. Used to go from Albany to Valdosta (87 miles) in just an hour. The fellow who bought my '71 was going to overhaul it before moving back to Puerto Rico, I put 12,000+ miles on it in 6 months, and he found it was like new inside. His Triumphs never could do that.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
. . . (Gasoline was about fifteen cents a gallon, too.)

I think the regular grades were only about eleven or twelve cents. You must have been living high on the hog running white crown.

I'd have to say Pennzoil in the cardboard and metal cans. When i first started helping Dad change the oil in our cars in the late 1970's he let me open the cans. Looking back that may have been the start of my relationship with all that is oil.

Dad is in his 70's now and prefers to take his cars to the dealer, but the old can opener is still hanging out there in the garage on the work-bench as a reminder of times gone by.

Too many choices. For nostalgia, Valvoline in the RWB cans, changing oil with Dad.
 -

When younger, and first getting into dirt bikes, Castrol 2 cycle oil in the green and white can.
210,000 on Shell Rotella T in a mini van.
The list goes on.....

How about the original bean oil Castrol R. The smell of this stuff comes to mind while watching SCCA racing. Used this in my MG Midget for racing as well as in lever action shocks. Well thought of oil in the 60-70's before GTX came out. Made from Caster Beans. I even grew some of these beans before we new how dangerious they really where.

Got to be Kendall GT-1, the original glowin' greenie! I used to run straight 50-weight in an old 318 way down in south Georgia.
shocked.gif
She was still going strong, when I got rid of her with 177,000. That was pretty good for a total *** Aspen. Not much of a cop car.

Fond memories of Kendall's first synthetic, which was called "Kendall Elite" and it only came at first in 5-50! I thought that was radical way back then!

Many years ago, I found a GLASS JAR of Kendall oil. Straight 10-weight. It has the famous fingers all over it, with "The 2000 Mile Motor Oil" underneath. It has pictures of cars, planes , and buses around the bottom. It has a seal on it that features an outline of Pa., with the phrase "Bradford Grade/Penzbest" in the middle. Embossed on the glass itself, is "MASS SEAL 0-12-b" and on the bottom "P-1055".
dunno.gif
I still don't know how old it is.
dunno.gif
But from the drawings of the cars and things, I would guess mid-40's...

Any thoughts???
grin.gif

Hey!!!
cheers.gif
I found one on ebay! Look!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kendall-The-200...mZ7243292262QQcategoryZ40QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ May 19, 2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: ULVER ]

Shell Rotella T 15W40, going into my bright orange 1978 Mercedes Benz 240D. Changes in the dormitory parking lot using a Topsider to drain her. 83 MPH flat out with the redline in top gear at 90 MPH. Not having enough horsepower to creep up a hill in traffic with the AC on....

Hall of Fame!!!!!!!

Quaker State 30w HD.

The stuff I put in my first car, it was good for everything, including joint pain. I worked at a Western Auto while in high school, they'd have a sale once a month on QS product. They had 30w ND, 40w, 30w HD and the first multigrade oil I ever seen in a Gold can 10w-30. Over the 3 years I worked there I must have unloaded several thousands of cases and this was when a case was 24 round cans.

My choice would be Quaker State DELUXE 10w40 in the pretty metal can !!! My 68 buick lesbare 340cid loved it, and is probably still running like new..

quote:

Originally posted by fordpm:
My choice would be Quaker State DELUXE 10w40 in the pretty metal can !!! My 68 buick lesbare 340cid loved it, and is probably still running like new..

Ditto. QS Deluxe was the first oil I purchased on my own after leaving home as a teenager. I dunno why I chose it, must have been the pretty can. Never had any problems with it though. My Dad always used Co-op oil in the good vehicles, have no clue who made it. We used el-cheapo "Aero" brand non-detergent oil in the junkers. Haven't seen any Aero in years.
Joe

Some of the ones I would have picked have already been named, but I think my dad's old favorite should be on the list: Havoline SAE 30 HD in the blue and white can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back