The neon likes to eat platinum electrodes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty much generally accepted in the neon community that the factory champion spark plugs (like the ones i have in now) work best. But, for 5000 miles last summer, i tried bosch +2 since i got them for free.

Here's what she did to the electrode. Note how the platinum started out life perfectly round.
 -

Just thought I'd share that and see if anyone has any comments.

One school of thought is that the platinum plugs are great for longevity ...but not so great for the engine itself. Heat range issues are apparently not addressed too well with the varied applications for any one bosch plug.

They were great for the Pugeot V6 that had an 8 hour factory time on a tuneup in 1981 (the first vehicle that I heard of using platinum plugs from the factory) ...and I got over 50k out of them in my mothers Corsica with no degradation in fuel mileage......

I've used the plus 4 and the plus 2 without problems ..but then again ..would I have problems with a standard plug??

neonmike I see what you are saying but did they perform ok? What prompted their removal at 5000 miles? Where they the correct heat range or were they a colder plug? More info please!P.S. Only the center electrode is platnium the outer electrodes are not!

I tried the +4 and lost a noticible amount of high rpm power which I beleive was due to the gargantuan, non-adjustable gap.
That combined with no increase in mpg ...so I took Bosch up on thier money back guarantee.

In the BMW community the +4's have pretty much been a flop. Those engines run best with the OEM style plug, NGK or BOSCH.

I don't think the aftermarket does a very good job of testing the various catalog applications. If heat range is in the ballpark, thread diameter, reach and seat design match, they list it in the catalog.

I have used BOSCH single platinums in Fords and Chevys with good results.

I've had trouble with platinum plugs in other cars, & never tried them in my Neon. Longevity? I pulled the factory Champion copper plugs at 89,988 miles. Car still ran great up to ~6300-6500 rpm!

A couple of people have claimed good results with (I think) Motorcraft double plat's- both electrodes are platinum. Maybe so, but I wonder for how long?

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
neonmike I see what you are saying but did they perform ok? What prompted their removal at 5000 miles? Where they the correct heat range or were they a colder plug? More info please!P.S. Only the center electrode is platnium the outer electrodes are not!

They performed well up until the 4000 or so mile mark, after that it rapidly degraded to poor performance, probably associated with their inability to maintain their gap settings, combined with the electrode erosion pictured above. The part number was as reccomended by bosch in the catalog. I'm aware of only the center being platinum.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
A couple of people have claimed good results with (I think) Motorcraft double plat's- both electrodes are platinum. Maybe so, but I wonder for how long?

I actually didn't have any trouble with the champion double platinums that i ran for about 9000 miles or so. I pulled them to try the +2s since they were free, and while i had the +2s, the double plats ended up in a girlfriend's neon which was having missfiring issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back