1995 Dodge 3500 van with 5.2 l (318) - spark plug recommendations sought

This camper van (1995 Dodge 5.2 l/318, 1-ton chassis) belongs to friends who visited yesterday. The van would not restart after they stopped in.

The battery voltage was quite low (11.5 V with no load). I boosted the van with a jumper pack, and found the charging system was not working. (The driver was not aware there was a problem because there's a voltmeter instead of a red light. The voltmeter was reading battery voltage.)

I pulled the alternator, and will take it to a trusted local rebuilder. It has a Bosch rebuilt-status sticker on it, so it's not original. Not sure the problem is with the alternator, though - the cables at the battery's positive terminal were in really bad shape. I cut them back and re-terminated them, but the charging system did not come back to life. I should have done more on-vehicle testing before pulling the alternator.

Because I have the doghouse off, I checked the air filter (very dirty) and will replace it.

Also realized that this would be a good time to check the the spark plugs, which are likely due to be changed.

Looking for recommendations on what brand to use. I usually use NGK, but also usually work on Japanese or Korean vehicles.

I'm also partial to using whatever brand the vehicle came with from factory. Would that be Champion for a Dodge of this age?

Would NGK be an upgrade, or would I be best to stick with Champion?

Thanks in advance.

Champion copper.

Starting in '98 (or was it '00?) the PCM dictates charging and this aspect seems to fail often. Lots of write-ups online on how to bypass and go to external regulation. This shouldn't apply to '95 however.

A 5.2 in a 1t.....so sorry for them.

Champion copper.

Starting in '98 (or was it '00?) the PCM dictates charging and this aspect seems to fail often. Lots of write-ups online on how to bypass and go to external regulation. This shouldn't apply to '95 however.

A 5.2 in a 1t.....so sorry for them.
It had died on the street. After I got it running, I drove it into our driveway to work on it. It felt very sluggish - I'm hoping replacing the air filter (very dirty, can't see light through it) and the plugs will wake it up a bit.

I was surprised to see a carburetor on a vehicle this new. I wonder if it's actually throttle-body FI.

It also has a distributor - although that shouldn't surprise me. Our '97 Mazda van also had one.

I own a 93 Roadtrek Versatille with the 5.2 Magnum. Does great in my camper with that motor and a B350 van base. Getting 16mpg and running air. I agree on the Champions. The charging problem however may be that the unit that charges the main battery and the house battery may be what the problem is. Follow the battery lead from the alternator to the Diode unit that allows the batteries to be seperated but charge both batteries. Mine went bad and had to be replaced. Those seem to have a limited life. GGood for you helping them out.

It had died on the street. After I got it running, I drove it into our driveway to work on it. It felt very sluggish - I'm hoping replacing the air filter (very dirty, can't see light through it) and the plugs will wake it up a bit.

I was surprised to see a carburetor on a vehicle this new. I wonder if it's actually throttle-body FI.

It also has a distributor - although that shouldn't surprise me. Our '97 Mazda van also had one.
A 1995 5.2L should be fuel injected.

By the way my 93 has throttle body. My crankshaft position sensor that is to the right side of the bell-housing went out on mine and lost power. cheap fix.

Pulled one plug (#5) which looks good at the business end. Will leave them alone. The rust doesn't look nice, but I think it's only cosmetic.

The present plugs are Champions.

20220725_083223~2.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the battery's messy positive-terminal connections.

The grey wire goes up to a solenoid. The fine green wire from the solenoid looks like an add-on. It's spliced into a wire over on the passenger side.

There are also the heavy black and the heavy red cables - I suspect one goes to the starter, and the other one feeds the auxiliary battery. Oy, my kingdom for a wiring diagram which includes the aftermarket mods.

No idea about the fine red wire, but it was barely connected when I first saw the van yesterday. I had naively hoped it was the problem.

Still waiting to hear about the alternator.

20220725_111112_HDR~2.jpg

The vOltage regulator is internal to the ecm, starting 1988 for.the 5.2 and 89 for the 5.9.

That battery held down with a belt?
Those battery connections are horrible.

The 'key dance' will flash codes via the check engine light.

Here's a shot of the Holley TB unit:

View attachment 109629
That's standard kegger intake for Dodge trucks of the era. The butterflies look clean on top but how's the underside? Any oil pooling down in the intake bottom? If so, the plenum plate is done, you'll find tons of info online.

The whole system is kinda crude but I'm amazed at how many '94-02 Rams are still on the road here (where rust doesn't kill vehicles)

Based on wrcsixeight's info, I was way off on model years. If it's still not charging when you get the alt back, it's time to research installing a regulator yourself. I've not done it but researched it in the past.

Back