1995 Dodge 3500 1-ton campervan - recommended ATF?

Some of you will have seen my related earlier thread about replacing the alternator on this van.

I think I should do a tranny service on it at some point - probably just a couple of drain-and-fill cycles.

I don't know much about the transmission. The engine is a 5.2 (318).

I would expect the transmission, as the van is a '95, to be a 4-speed and to have a lock-up torque converter. But perhaps Dodge was still using up old 3-speed TorqueFlites. Don't know.

What would be the specified spec the fluid would have to meet - ATF+4?

Thanks in advance.

What does the manual say, if it says Dexron II or Dexron III use the cheapest Dex/Merc, if it says ATF+3 then use whatever licensed ATF+4 you can find cheapest.
I don't know if they have the owner's manual. I should have checked when the van was here yesterday.

I would do this work at some point in the future when they visit again.

Good to know that ATF+4 is backwards-compatible with ATF+3.

1-Ton van......Probably has a A518/46RH, Lighter duty V8 Vans usually had a A500/42RH. The only one's to have a 3 speed (A999/32RH) would be a V6 Van.

If it calls for ATF+4, use Redline C+

Also, if the transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future fluid changes much easier :D

1-Ton van......Probably has a A518/46RH, Lighter duty V8 Vans usually had a A500/42RH. The only one's to have a 3 speed (A999/32RH) would be a V6 Van.
Cline, I was hoping you'd see this.

Please tell me about the A518/46RH - sounds like it's a 4-speed. Lock-up TC?

What ATF would you recommend? I prefer to use a synthetic.

If it calls for ATF+4, use Redline C+

Also, if the transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future fluid changes much easier :D
I put an aftermarket pan with drain plug on our 2007 Grand Caravan. Gives me peace of mind to drain and fill a couple of quarts twice a year.

I haven't been under the '95 Dodge 3500 in question - will be pleased if the existing pan does have a drain plug.

Cline, I was hoping you'd see this.

Please tell me about the A518/46RH - sounds like it's a 4-speed. Lock-up TC?

What ATF would you recommend? I prefer to use a synthetic.

It is a 4 speed with a lock up torque converter.
Originally calling for ATF+3, Which Chrysler superseded to ATF+4. Valvoline makes a synthetic licensed ATF+4.

That being said.....Dex/Merc fluids work fine in this unit & are not dependent on the Lubrizol additive pack that makes ATF+4 fluid special/different than a Dexron III.

A TES-295 licensed ATF would be a good choice, But might be to expensive for the benefits depending on the retailer......$10 a quart/$40 a gallon is a good price.

Deviating from manufacturer specs can get you in trouble when it's not your ride, If the unit takes a crap it will most certainly be your fault.....Even though NO fluid will fix the inherent deficiencies of this unit, Especially in the Overdrive Unit! Stack 28 years of age on top of that & it's a recipe for this unit to bite the dust at anytime.

I'd run the Valvoline ATF+4, A high flow A727 Filter, And adjust the Intermediate & Low Reverse Bands per spec.

It is a 4 speed with a lock up torque converter.
Originally calling for ATF+3, Which Chrysler superseded to ATF+4. Valvoline makes a synthetic licensed ATF+4.

That being said.....Dex/Merc fluids work fine in this unit & are not dependent on the Lubrizol additive pack that makes ATF+4 fluid special/different than a Dexron III.

A TES-295 licensed ATF would be a good choice, But might be to expensive for the benefits depending on the retailer......$10 a quart/$40 a gallon is a good price.

Deviating from manufacturer specs can get you in trouble when it's not your ride, If the unit takes a crap it will most certainly be your fault.....Even though NO fluid will fix the inherent deficiencies of this unit, Especially in the Overdrive Unit! Stack 28 years of age on top of that & it's a recipe for this unit to bite the dust at anytime.

I'd run the Valvoline ATF+4, A high flow A727 Filter, And adjust the Intermediate & Low Reverse Bands per spec.
I've been using Castrol Synertec ATF+4 in our Grand Caravan. Happy with it so far.

Am I OK using it in the campervan? It would be nice to not have to stock an additional brand.

The owners usually go to a shop in the town near the farm - the alternator repair is the first work I've done on their van. Before plunging in, I'll ask whether their usual mechanic has serviced the transmission recently.

I had bad torque clutch chatter until i had the universal bulk dexron fliud exchanged with atf+3, in my rebuilt a500/42re

Now i use any liscenced atf+4.
Not a shudder since .
110k plus miles since i purged the bulk dexron.

Add an additional fluid cooler.

Tell them to keep it out of overdrive climbing grades.

I had bad torque clutch chatter until i had the universal bulk dexron fliud exchanged with atf+3, in my rebuilt a500/42re

Now i use any liscenced atf+4.
Not a shudder since .
110k plus miles since i purged the bulk dexron.

Add an additional fluid cooler.

Tell them to keep it out of overdrive climbing grades.

Perfect example of ATF+4 masking an issue that shouldn't exist, A500's which are based on a A904 are trash in my opinion. The A727 based A518 & A618 do not need the "plus" additive.

Masked or not, no TCCC with atf+4.

I baby it with frequent drain and fills, additional filtration, and cooling.

Wish i had the A-518 instead.
Oh well.

Back