1995 Dodge 3500 van with 5.2 l (318) - spark plug recommendations sought

Did you say you reused those plugs??? That's crazy because it I take a plug out only a new is going in and that would be the best time since you are doing other things. I would stick with Champion but upgrade to platinum and you probably won't have to replace them again. Autolite Platinums are a good economical choice as well.

Did you say you reused those plugs??? That's crazy because it I take a plug out only a new is going in and that would be the best time since you are doing other things. I would stick with Champion but upgrade to platinum and you probably won't have to replace them again. Autolite Platinums are a good economical choice as well.
I pulled the one plug and thought it looked really good - no fouling, and original gap.

The owners were eager to get back on the road, so I did only what I considered essential - alternator, air filter, and topping up low fluids.

Agreed, if it were my own vehicle I would have changed them out.

I know the older Mopars had the electronic module on the fender, and a ballast resistor too-but that was the older carbureted ones. Guessing a TBI one likely fires the coil off the PCM/computer.
Yep, fender apron, firewall depending on model. I thought they used them on V-8s up until the Magnum was introduced in the early '90s. But, I've never owned a V-8 Chrysler product newer than a 1973, I think. The one I own now has a dual point Prestolite distributor. I'm just going on what I remember from helping friends work on theirs. NAPA lists ballast resistors and ignition control modules through 1991 for trucks, which would jive with my Magnum theory

I pulled the one plug and thought it looked really good - no fouling, and original gap.

The owners were eager to get back on the road, so I did only what I considered essential - alternator, air filter, and topping up low fluids.

Agreed, if it were my own vehicle I would have changed them out.
That makes sense, I had missed the part that it wasn't your personal vehicle. Good job on it in all you did to keep that running good!

That makes sense, I had missed the part that it wasn't your personal vehicle. Good job on it in all you did to keep that running good!
Thanks!

I worked at a tune-up shop in 1980. Even back then we always installed new plugs rather than cleaning and re-gapping the old ones.

Forgot to add that I topped up the tires as well. They are supposed to be 55# front, 80# rear. The rear tires were in the low 70s, one front was around 45, and other was 37.

Back