The McJob...The New Normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Companies no longer set up shop here because it is extremely expensive to pay American workers.. vs other places. We love it, yeah. But we are spoiled rotten.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
$10/hr jobs exist because there is tremendous excess supply of workers that have no high value skills. Guess what folks?...the world has radically changed in terms of local labor markets. It has gotten smaller economically and so capital and means of production naturally flowed to lower cost labor areas. This is an economic law like gravity and it absolutely cannot be regulated or legislated away. The US can do nothing in terms of laws/regs to make factory jobs come back. So the way for US workers to earn higher labor rates/salary in today's world economy is to EARN it by first developing high value skills, investing in building high value skills and then working hard maintaining and improving them over your career. If a person does not have the smarts or the initiative to do that then $10/hr is about what their labor is worth. You don;t have to get a university degree to do this , you can get a high value skill like welding, auto tech, HVAC, electrician, medical tech, etc. There are still plenty of ways to make a decent salary in the US but it takes a little planning, sacrifice and initiative...sadly those traits seem rare these days.

The US is trying to maintain a lifestyle based on a service economy and it will never work. Its doomed from the get go.
Once manufacturing went overseas so did the American dream with it.

All this politically correct clap trap about higher eduction for all is beyond delusional.
Out of all my nieces and nephews only 1 should be (and is) in college, the rest are in college but are as clever as a brush, which is what they should be learning to operate.
IMHO probably less than 10% of college student deserve to be there but its PC and we have do something with them because there are very few medium skill manufacturing jobs left.
In the PC country this has become. IQ over 80 college bound and the rest Walmart, McDonalds, etc.

49.gif
27.gif

Both of these posts are very insightful. I think the push for universal college education is a big issue. More college educated workers results in a push for higher wages among a limited number of medium/high skilled jobs that do not necessarily require college educations. That push for higher wages results in higher operating costs, which makes off shoring of medium and low skilled jobs that much more attractive. Once off shoring begins, domestic low/medium skilled wages get depressed in an attempt to remain competitve. Then you get into the situation where you have high paying high skilled jobs and low paying low skilled jobs with little transitional space in between. There needs to be a bigger push for "find your niche", which may mean some people go to college, some to trade schools, and some only complete high school. Having a workforce full of degreed communications, performing arts, and German polka history majors does not seem too bright, all in the name of getting a college education.

Don't get me wrong. I believe a strong work ethic and a willingness to do what needs to be done and go where you need to go can get you far in life. I have a friend who is in his early 30s and is not college educated but is the sole breadwinner for his family of five and they have a comfortable life. They are not wealthy, but are solidly middle class and are getting ahead in life. He busts his rear every day and was willing to move from SoCal to Texas in order for his family to have a better life. But many people are not willing to do that.

The arguement that you could make x at a certain job 30 years ago does not mean that that was the economically "correct" wage for that job.

Trav, Germany seems to be doing a few things right with their economy and have a strong manufacturing base. What is their approach to higher education?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
By being born in the USA, you're in the top 10% of the world. And that's living at our "poverty" level.
Making $10/hr puts you in the top 4% in the world.
http://www.globalrichlist.com/

I bet over 90% of people making $10/hr in the US, have flat screen TVs and smart phones.

It's all relative to what you see/want though. I'm sure if you measured "life satisfaction", the "wealthy" goat herdsman in Ethiopia is much happier with his success making $200/month than the person here making $1200/month or many people making far more...
I do like my smart phone and TV, but in the end they are just screens, no matter what the resolution is.

Originally Posted By: salv
Everyone that works hard at a full time job deserves to earn a livable wage with decent benefits. If that means that it devalues stocks for share holders and cuts into corporate profits, then so be it. Nobody that puts in an honest 40 or 50 hour work week should have to work multiple jobs to feed a family.
I make over $40,000/yr as a service writer, and my job is definitely no more important than a warehouse worker's job. [censored], I can't even drive a forklift.

^^^This post just totally creeps me out.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If your staffing needs are fluid, using temps may make more sense.

When I hired folks, I had to figure 25% or more in addition to salary for benefits, (health, dental, vision, 401(k), education) employer paid payroll taxes, unemployment insurance, HR costs, etc. So my total labor cost was 1.25X the salary(or more) in corporate funny money.

It may be cheaper for Amazon to hire from a temp agency compared to hiring, providing benefits,and losing the flexibility to adjust staffing levels.

I'm not saying the temp agency isn't making a bunch of money. But it's not likely they are paying $30/hour to the staffing firm for your labor.

If you think you can find qualified staff and provide them to Amazon and pay the staff more, start your own firm and get that big cash you think the staffing firm is holding.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Danno
Companies profit from their employee's work, what's your point?

You are very direct and blunt in the things that you say...

Point: Stupid for Amazon. They could (if they like) pay more (?) for my DIRECT labor. . I don't get it. Possible more paperwork and turnaround possibility, sure, but. Lack of profit.

? (*please correct if I am wrong)

I base my calculations on Labor Ready. They charge client $17/hour, and pay us the new NJ Minimum Wage of $8.38 aan hour with it.

I now make the $10/hour at my first job, and $12.75 (? $13.25? Idk) an hour at Amazon.com

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Everyone that works hard at a full time job deserves to earn a livable wage with decent benefits. If that means that it devalues stocks for share holders and cuts into corporate profits, then so be it. Nobody that puts in an honest 40 or 50 hour work week should have to work multiple jobs to feed a family.
I make over $40,000/yr as a service writer, and my job is definitely no more important than a warehouse worker's job. [censored], I can't even drive a forklift.

^^^This post just totally creeps me out.

Why?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
$10/hr jobs exist because there is tremendous excess supply of workers that have no high value skills. [...] So the way for US workers to earn higher labor rates/salary in today's world economy is to EARN it by first developing high value skills, investing in building high value skills and then working hard maintaining and improving them over your career.

That's a great pep talk but who has a crystal ball to see what the next career will be that gets offshored? There are lots of US engineers that were idled when their jobs get sent to India/ Singapore, for example. Why should high school kids excel in math/science when this career path got highjacked?

When your pay is above average, your head is sticking up pretty high in the game of whack-a-mole called life.

I wonder how they're going to undercut nursing, frankly.

Definitely not a pep talk...motivated serious folks that take responsibility for their future don't require pep talks. A person better have a "crystal ball" (also known as think, investigate, research, and plan a career) when they want to earn a better than average living. And the market will change over the years of a career and people may have to retrain and reinvest in themselves - times they done got hard...successful people deal with it, near-do-wells will always make excuses.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
This is an economic law like gravity and it absolutely cannot be regulated or legislated away. The US can do nothing in terms of laws/regs to make factory jobs come back.

Tariffs can make factory jobs come back.

That is 100% pure horse poop. Tariffs absolutely do not work in anything but very short term especially in today's highly integrated and interconnected global economy. Tariffs quickly produce unwanted distortions in a country's economy and unintended negative consequences where one work force is protected while another work force suffers indirectly. Long term the country imposing tariffs suffers from poor productivity and over GDP does not grow. Tariffs also always produce reciprocal "counter" formal tariffs or behaviors from the other countries that effectively nulls any gain to be had. A good example of a country that used tariffs to protect local industries and workforce is Japan - they have now been in a serious recession for 20 years and counting.

Last edited:
As long as we have people, we'll need infrastructure. Check out Mike Rowe Works. There are many jobs in the trades that go unfilled because folks think they need to go to college instead of going to trade school to learn a trade.

This is an economic law like gravity and it absolutely cannot be regulated or legislated away. The US can do nothing in terms of laws/regs to make factory jobs come back.

That is 100% pure horse poop. Tariffs absolutely do not work in anything but very short term especially in today's highly integrated and interconnected global economy. Tariffs quickly produce unwanted distortions in a country's economy and unintended negative consequences where one work force is protected while another work force suffers indirectly. Long term the country imposing tariffs suffers from poor productivity and over GDP does not grow. Tariffs also always produce reciprocal "counter" formal tariffs or behaviors from the other countries that effectively nulls any gain to be had. A good example of a country that used tariffs to protect local industries and workforce is Japan - they have now been in a serious recession for 20 years and counting.

Tariffs should be used to protect domestic industry from illegal dumping. The Japanese killed the electronics industry in this country by selling products for less than what they cost to manufacture, while overcharging it's citizens and preventing other countries from importing their goods into Japan.

The story is being played over again with the Koreans and the appliance business.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...u-s-panel-rules

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have a few friends that have worked in the huge Amazon distribution center here in Phoenix. They aren't complainets, but they say it is awful work. Miles and miles of walking and heavy lifting, rude bosses and forcing them to work through their breaks, sometimes lunches. Often very unorganized with the way a lot of things work, including moving a package from one end of the warehouse to the other, only to find out afterwards they could have taken 2 that their schedule didn't tell them to do. Again these people aren't people to complain. They say it's a terrible place to work, luckily they don't work there anymore.

As for being forced to work through breaks and lunch periods, there are labor laws that offer protection. Blow the whistle and the department of labor will come down on an employer like a ton of bricks.

As for having to repeat a trip due to poor routing, that hurts the employer more than the employee: the employee gets paid for their time making the duplicate trip and the employer pays for their process inefficiency. After all, if the employee was not making that trip, they would have made another.

You don't have a real world grasp of the way the business world works. A position is worth what the market will bear. In other words, why should a company pay a hamburger flipper $15/hr(hypothetically), when they can hire someone for $8/hr. Business is not there to provide a social safety net(that's gov't). Businesses are in business to make money. If you don't like your job, get another one, get an education, improve your skills, or even start your own business. What your suggesting is that a non-skilled worker be payed the same as a skilled worker. If that's the case then what's the point of seeking further education, or even trying harder? Don't just expect to "be taken care of". For the life of me I just don't understand this mentality.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
As long as we have people, we'll need infrastructure. Check out Mike Rowe Works. There are many jobs in the trades that go unfilled because folks think they need to go to college instead of going to trade school to learn a trade.

I agree with that. I went to college but didn't get the [censored] degree. Trucking was very good to me as I did hazmat, tankers and dry bulk that paid well and got me home.

When you import as much stuff as we do in the US, without much in the way of exports, I would not be worried about retaliatory tariffs. In so far as them working or not working, it worked great for well over a hundred years.

Everyone that works hard at a full time job deserves to earn a livable wage with decent benefits.
If that means that it devalues stocks for share holders and cuts into corporate profits, then so be it. Nobody that puts in an honest 40 or 50 hour work week should have to work multiple jobs to feed a family.

That's great, but that's not capitalism, which is what we have here in the States last time I checked.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Everyone that works hard at a full time job deserves to earn a livable wage with decent benefits.
If that means that it devalues stocks for share holders and cuts into corporate profits, then so be it. Nobody that puts in an honest 40 or 50 hour work week should have to work multiple jobs to feed a family.

That's great, but that's not capitalism, which is what we have here in the States last time I checked.

There are min wage laws here and we are capitalist, so I don't agree with your statement. As far as the living wage, it's going to cost our society anyways, as there will be more welfare bennys paid out.

These businesses wonder why their customer information and proprietary data gets stolen.

That's exactly what you're going to get when you pay someone a garbage wage. Many are looking to make money by scamming the company. It'd be better to pay more and get a more loyal employee.

Target is going to go under because of their credit card scam.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
There are min wage laws here and we are capitalist, so I don't agree with your statement.

Yes, and what does a capitalist business owner do about this? He starts employing people overseas instead.

If raising the minimum wage worked why hasn't our government passed a new law with higher wages? With this kind of reasoning maybe it should be $25 an hour? Or, how about $30? Or, $40? Oh, and throw in free Obamacare, too. And maternity leave, and sick leave and vacation time and grieving time and don't forget the ever popular mental health days, as well.

I just hope you will like your $24.99 Big Mac, after all you can afford it, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back