The main thing I have learned on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays engine oils are really, really good.
smile.gif
Seriously, I never knew about the complexity of all the additives in todays oils.

Lets say I plan to keep my car for 10-12 years. It will go 150-200k miles. It is a generic vehicle without a turbo. If I use the "El Cheapo" Chevron Supreme oil from Kragen at 89cents a quart with a $2 Supertech oil filter, and I do a 5k OCI. Will I feel any noticable performance change in that timeframe? I doubt it. It seems with todays engines and oils, 200k is easy.

If I use a good synthetic and do 10k oil changes I could save some time on oil changes, but the overall outcome would probably be the same. No?

Once again I gotta say you 3k OCIers are crazy.
hide.gif

Just bored today reading about all of the Grp III vs PAO rantings.
fruit.gif

Winston, if you have said such a thing about 3K OCI, just 2 or 3 years ago, you would have been forced to move to Alaska or maybe Iran, to get away from the 3K fanatics. But don't feel to safe, they are still out there. Luckily, most of them have their heads in the sand, so they are having difficulties deciding what is up and what is down.

It depends. I think you could notice differences. Most synthetics seem to perform a little better on dynos, get a little better gas mileage, run a little cooler. Over 200,000 miles later these differences might be more pronounced. I've experienced and others have told me that most vehicles seem to run better on certain synthetics.

Remember one thing about "El Cheapo" Chevron Supreme.

59 or 89 cents is usually after rebate, and it's one of
the best dino's available.

And if it is one of the best, why shouldn't it be able to go 5000 miles? A good oil-filter will pick up unwanted particles and keep the oil clean.

Quote:

It depends. I think you could notice differences. Most synthetics seem to perform a little better on dynos, get a little better gas mileage, run a little cooler. Over 200,000 miles later these differences might be more pronounced. I've experienced and others have told me that most vehicles seem to run better on certain synthetics.

Talk about opinions as facts.
dunno.gif

Dyno No - "Most synthetics seem to perform a little better on dynos" "LOL?" Royalpurple.com has a lot of tests that show this to be the case. As does Amsoil, Mobil 1, race car drivers, etc. I think nearly everyone that makes a synthetic oils has that stated somewhere. Same with the better gas mileage and cooler running claims.

Hold the phone people...I have one more thing...if you own a newer 2005 or later GM vehicle equipped with Onstar your OLM data is uplinked to the Onstar system. Should you fail to follow the recommended OCI from your OLM and suffer an engine failure that is oil related......you are going to have a problem with a warranty claim. So extended drainers with GM vehicles 2007 on....you better follow the OLM and have documentation to show that you changed your oil & filter at the required times or your 100k warranty is toast.

Quote:

Dyno No - "Most synthetics seem to perform a little better on dynos" "LOL?" Royalpurple.com has a lot of tests that show this to be the case. As does Amsoil, Mobil 1, race car drivers, etc. I think nearly everyone that makes a synthetic oils has that stated somewhere. Same with the better gas mileage and cooler running claims.

That is because those companies sell Syn.oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back