The magic that is Delo.....or beer....or both..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1970 Dart with a /6. Through the recommendation of this board I went with Delo 400 15W-40.

Since I owned this Dart it has had a slight rear main seal leak that would leave spots under the car whenever sitting more then a few minutes. I have put maybe 200 miles since I switched to the Delo and today noticed that the leak has stopped. I looked under the car....and the drip that was always ready to drop...is gone!

Can't say that the Delo is responsible or not....but am sold on it nevertheless.

I mix 50% 5w20 in with my 15w40 HDEO's with good results. Thins it down to a tad thicker than a 10w30 when cold, but about the same hot.

Now you know why I say the best High Mileage Oils are HDEO's. Better for extended drains, better add package, and in my experience just as good at seal conditioning. All for less money....

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Now you know why I say the best High Mileage Oils are HDEO's. Better for extended drains, better add package, and in my experience just as good at seal conditioning. All for less money....

Gene

It's almost like I did an Auto-RX treatment....without the Auto-RX.

I was just outside, looking under the car with a flashlight....still no oil drips. Wife now thinks I am nuts.
freak2.gif

Now you know why I say a synthetic HDEO is the best of ALL worlds.

Lower cost, beefier add pack and better base oils without trying to be fancy with mpg improvements.

Leaks on older engines can be vi related just like when a thin synlube is used and blamed for leaks a thick oil can seemingly cure them at the other end . If vi related theres nothing magic about the Delo .

What was the previous oil used and it's vi ? What was the vi after the carb gassed the motor oil up
wink.gif
And what is the vi of Delo 15w-40 with 200 miles on it ?

See where I'm heading with this
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
OK, I have to ask...where does the 'beer' in the title come in?
cheers.gif

Well from me lying and looking under the car while holding a beer.

You know...Beer is not just for breakfast anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Now you know why I say a synthetic HDEO is the best of ALL worlds.

Lower cost, beefier add pack and better base oils without trying to be fancy with mpg improvements.

Now I am confused...I thought Delo 15W-40 was a dino.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Leaks on older engines can be vi related just like when a thin synlube is used and blamed for leaks a thick oil can seemingly cure them at the other end . If vi related theres nothing magic about the Delo .

What was the previous oil used and it's vi ? What was the vi after the carb gassed the motor oil up
wink.gif
And what is the vi of Delo 15w-40 with 200 miles on it ?

See where I'm heading with this
smile.gif

It was running Pennzoil, 20W-50.

Unless he is referring to Shell Rotella T Group III Synthetic ($12 gal), which is a screaming deal in my opinion, I believe this was a typo and he meant dino.

I have had leaks stop on cars when switching from a PCMO 20W-50 to a HDEO 15W-40. It could have been chance.
dunno.gif
I have a suspicion that good HDEO's contain a seal conditioner to help avoid leaks over the million mile life-span of the average OTR Diesel.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back