The loss of automotive knowledge of past technologies.

Was watching an old episode of RoadKill last night and the two dudes are road tripping a '39 Ford from Georgia to Texas. These guys aren't youngsters but not old timers either. They ended up having to change a generator on the car in a parking lot. You could tell by watching them that they had no clue about flashing a field on a generator. Makes me wonder what other obsolescent automotive knowledge is dying out.

I had to look up what "flashing a field" was myself...but I know how to rebuild an engine, set timing, rebuild a carb, rebuild a tranny...

I had to look it up myself as well. It sounds cooler than it is; like restarting some sort of sci-fi shield generator out of Star Trek before some Borgs come out of hyper space and start assimilating everyone.

How many youngsters today would have any idea what the dashpot is on my MG or why it's important?

Years ago I owned a Datsun which probably had the same type of carburator as you're talking about (I think it was just called an "SU" carb). I remember it having oil in it, but I have no idea why.

I also don't know what that thing about the generator is (or even the difference between a generator and an alternator).

I'm going to try to learn though, since my 18 year old just bought himself a 56 year old Volkswagen that I need to help him keep alive.

The awesome thing is that the internet is here to help people figure out anything they could ever need to figure out. And it's always at their fingertips, and for the most part is completely free!

Back when I was his age and owned the Datsun, there was no such thing as the internet. I had a Haynes and a Chilton's book, and that was about it. Not everything could be figured out by reading those. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I could never get it running very good and eventually gave up on it and had to sell it.

Those SU carburators were the bane of my existence. It had 2 of them, and if they both weren't exactly dialed in just right it would run like crap, which it did for most of the time that I had it.

I was also bothered by the fact they used an old style mechanical contact voltage regulator rather than a plug and play solid state style, usually a third the cost and works much better.

Granted new technology is usually much better than the tasks it replaces. Alternators on cars are better than generators, Fuel injection, electronic ignition, disc/antilock brakes....the list is endless when it comes to automobiles. It is still nice to have the knowledge just in case.

Last edited:
Years ago I owned a Datsun which probably had the same type of carburator as you're talking about (I think it was just called an "SU" carb). I remember it having oil in it, but I have no idea why.

I also don't know what that thing about the generator is (or even the difference between a generator and an alternator).

I'm going to try to learn though, since my 18 year old just bought himself a 56 year old Volkswagen that I need to help him keep alive.

The awesome thing is that the internet is here to help people figure out anything they could ever need to figure out. And it's always at their fingertips, and for the most part is completely free!

Back when I was his age and owned the Datsun, there was no such thing as the internet. I had a Haynes and a Chilton's book, and that was about it. Not everything could be figured out by reading those. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I could never get it running very good and eventually gave up on it and had to sell it.

Those SU carburators were the bane of my existence. It had 2 of them, and if they both weren't exactly dialed in just right it would run like crap, which it did for most of the time that I had it.
I had an SPL311 with the Hitachi/SU carbs; I used a couple of methods to sync the carbs and it ran just fine.

Granted new technology is usually much better than the tasks it replaces. Alternators on cars are better than generators, Fuel injection, electronic ignition, disc/antilock brakes....the list is endless when it comes to automobiles. It is still nice to have the knowledge just in case.
True enough. The Soviets until fairly recently built their fighters and bombers with ancient technology to survive EMP.

I had to look up what "flashing a field" was myself...but I know how to rebuild an engine, set timing, rebuild a carb, rebuild a tranny...
Also its the tossing words around now as well. The average home or back yard mechanic can not "Rebuild" an engine.
They can "Over haul" or "Refresh" it though. Takes thousands of $ of machinery and space to "Rebuild"and then the cost of proper inspection tools as well.

Last edited:
I've always heard it called "polarizing the generator".
That is what is accomplished when flashing. In the utility industry with many megawatt, three phase AC generators, the DC field that controls the output is controlled by the regulator. Regulators usually have a field flash circuit onboard which is used after maintenance or excessive down times.

Oh, how about:

-Using a dwell meter to set ignition points
-Adjusting carburetor mixtures
-Setting the automatic choke
-Using a timing light

Edit:
How many youngsters today would have any idea what the dashpot is on my MG or why it's important?
the good old days...I enjoyed working on engines back then..

Back