The loss of automotive knowledge of past technologies.

SU was a brand name. SU, plus others were “Constant Velocity Carbs” also known as “ Concentric Carbs”.

SU Brand Carbs needed a small amount of oil added every few thousand miles to keep the vacuum slides and needle jet working. My TR3A with twin SU’s never gave me problems. I would sync my SU’s
(And my Bing Motorcycle BMW Carbs) using “Mercury Tubes”.

FWIW. My BMW (Bing Carbs) started to run ratty. Took carbs apart and found a very small pinhole in the rubber diaphragm in one of the carbs. I happened to have a roll
of very thin Mylar tape. Cut a very small piece and placed it over pinhole. Very flexible. Fixed problem.

Also its the tossing words around now as well. The average home or back yard mechanic can not "Rebuild" an engine.
They can "Over haul" or "Refresh" it though. Takes thousands of $ of machinery and space to "Rebuild"and then the cost of proper inspection tools as well.

Hummm...it seems the common definition found on the WWW would agree with how I perceived an engine rebuild to be.

...Rebuilding an engine typically involves: Removing the engine block and disassembling it. Cleaning and inspection to determine the condition of the engine. Replacing damaged parts with new or refurbished parts that meet OEM standards, including piston rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, and lubricants.

...Rebuilding an engine is a big job, but planning smartly for a successful rebuild project can help eliminate the possibility of costly mistakes, saving you time, energy, and frustration. Learn to remove and reinstall your engine block, as well as how to disassemble and inspect the components to restore your engine to like new condition, or to customize it for maximum performance.

...If you’re an automotive enthusiast or a DIYer looking to breathe new life into your vehicle, there’s no better way to do it than by undertaking a car engine rebuild. A well-executed engine rebuild can not only revitalize your car’s performance but also extend its lifespan, all while providing you with a deep sense of accomplishment. In this detailed guide, we’ll walk you through the entire process of rebuilding your car engine, from assessing its condition to selecting quality parts and completing the rebuild. So, grab your toolbox and let’s get started!

I guess I would say the use of those expense machines would be re-manufacturing an engine.

Hummm...it seems the common definition found on the WWW would agree with how I perceived an engine rebuild to be.

...Rebuilding an engine typically involves: Removing the engine block and disassembling it. Cleaning and inspection to determine the condition of the engine. Replacing damaged parts with new or refurbished parts that meet OEM standards, including piston rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, and lubricants.

...Rebuilding an engine is a big job, but planning smartly for a successful rebuild project can help eliminate the possibility of costly mistakes, saving you time, energy, and frustration. Learn to remove and reinstall your engine block, as well as how to disassemble and inspect the components to restore your engine to like new condition, or to customize it for maximum performance.

...If you’re an automotive enthusiast or a DIYer looking to breathe new life into your vehicle, there’s no better way to do it than by undertaking a car engine rebuild. A well-executed engine rebuild can not only revitalize your car’s performance but also extend its lifespan, all while providing you with a deep sense of accomplishment. In this detailed guide, we’ll walk you through the entire process of rebuilding your car engine, from assessing its condition to selecting quality parts and completing the rebuild. So, grab your toolbox and let’s get started!

I guess I would say the use of those expense machines would be re-manufacturing an engine.
Of course us old timers remembered when you dropped the long block off at the machine shop and they would go through it. Sometimes having to cut the crank, usually at least a .10 overbore on the cylinders. New cam bearings. 3 way valve job, replace guides and springs as needed etc. You picked up the parts and ordered what was needed for re-assembly. Almost impossible to get this work done anymore and it is often just cheaper to buy a brand new engine.

Of course us old timers remembered when you dropped the long block off at the machine shop and they would go through it. Sometimes having to cut the crank, usually at least a .10 overbore on the cylinders. New cam bearings. 3 way valve job, replace guides and springs as needed etc. You picked up the parts and ordered what was needed for re-assembly. Almost impossible to get this work done anymore and it is often just cheaper to buy a brand new engine.

I've done it that way myself. We have several "race shops" around here that will do that kind of work. Necessary when rebuilding a boat engine, as a reman car engine won't cut it at the duty cycle of a boat. I took a 4 bolt main chevy 350 and had it machined to a 355 to boat engine specs and built it up from there.

A a recent retiree, I love this thread. Thinking back on my early days of automotive repair.

Anybody remember connecting rod "dippers" for rod bearing oiling? Where the lower cap had a scoop to bring oil into the bearing, and splash the oil around...

s-l1200.jpg

However, I have to admit that I am a "techie" and not at all in favor of past ways. I love well designed and capable electronic engine controls. The recent QuadraJet thread brought back memories of flooding, dieseling, and hours tuning the darn things to run right. I must admit that they did work perfectly when right. But never as good as even the most basic of fuel injection systems.

But even way back when, the turbo Ford's were my thing:

mustang-gtp-027.jpg

Last edited:
I was also bothered by the fact they used an old style mechanical contact voltage regulator rather than a plug and play solid state style, usually a third the cost and works much better.
They wanted an interesting show! If they wanted a reliable Ford they'd put an LS motor in it but what sort of roadside drama would that create?

Generators put all the current through the brushes so they wear out faster.

My 65 VW is the most reliable car that I own. All the modern conveniences that it doesn't have never break. Valve adjustments and oil changes are the extent of maintenance. With some pumps of the pedal it starts after sitting for a month.

Was watching an old episode of RoadKill last night and the two dudes are road tripping a '39 Ford from Georgia to Texas. These guys aren't youngsters but not old timers either. They ended up having to change a generator on the car in a parking lot. You could tell by watching them that they had no clue about flashing a field on a generator. Makes me wonder what other obsolescent automotive knowledge is dying out.
A guy that I spoke with in Boulder Colorado has a Ferrari repair shop. He specializes in the older vehicles like late 80's and older. Apparently he's one of the few guys remaining that can tune carburetors, vehicles with individual throttle bodies, generators, and a whole host of non-computer related things on older Ferraris. Ferrari connoisseurs want numbers matching parts and engines.

Back