The fastest growing state in population is ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
IL falls to 6th in state population. Mass exodus of working people continues. Population down 34k in 12 months. That't nearly 10 a day. Wonder why?

Your math is off.

LOL. Thanks for pointing that out. Off by a factor of ten. I need better proofreading!

See the movie Jeremiah Johnson, starring Robert Redford, it came out in 1971-72.
Jeremiah thought this country was crowded long before it became crowded!

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
I can't stand to go to spocompton, it gives me the hebeegeebee's, and a panic attack! you don't have to worry about me coming to Spokane!

Of course one needs to live in the right area of any metro area. And avoid certain places.][-521`

I moved to Idaho 5 years ago and it's just the worst. If you're thinking you might want to move here, forget it. (And please don't read any further!)

Honestly, I've told people I feel like I'm getting away with something by living here. Low taxes, pretty good schools, very little crime, access to beautiful natural places, and a common sense that seems to thrive in a lot of the populace (that seems to have disappeared in some other regions). For car guys it is a pretty mild climate and the bodies on 25 year old cars here in the high desert can look like new. As an Midwest native, that will forever amaze me.

Idaho feels like a lot of the rest of the country may have a generation or two ago. (Kids can still safely walk to school, for instance. Drivers tend to be very friendly.) Yes, a lot of folks have moved here from California, but the ones I've encountered are coming to live an Idaho lifestyle and generally view their leaving CA as an escape. They don't want to change Idaho into the place they just left.

It's an awesome place, but is, of course, not without its problems. No place is perfect, but I think in 2017, this is about as good as it gets. I get the trend.

Texas is growing significantly faster than Idaho and I would be perfectly happy if it weren't.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Texas is growing significantly faster than Idaho and I would be perfectly happy if it weren't.

I will probably have to move to Texas next year to chase oil money. I don't want to be there, either.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

I will probably have to move to Texas next year to chase oil money. I don't want to be there, either.

Has the energy industry recovered in Texas ?

I thought big money was in pipelining and welding... ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Has the energy industry recovered in Texas ?

I thought big money was in pipelining and welding... ?

It might not be what it once was, but there is still plenty of work there.

^Yes companies are moving here like there's free money on the ground for them to pick up, which there is. No corporate income tax, cities outbidding each other to give tax abatements and outright bribes (in the form of "enterprise funds" to get them in). Problem is that once the people are here there isn't enough money to provide infrastructure for the too rapidly growing population. It may be the same in other places, too. I am only familiar with this one. Those of us who have been here a long time get to foot most of the bill will hidden taxes in the form of toll roads. The money gets split between private companies and the state and we still sit in stopped traffic on those roads.

Housing costs are rising fast and along with all the profession type folks we're getting even more of the people who make life interesting; the thieves, batterers, fraudsters, and other assorted criminal types. This is the price to be paid for rapid growth and governments at the state and local level that pimp out their state. Again, this is probably the same in a lot of places. Too bad.

DBMaster,

All politicians then brag about creating ___ amount of jobs into their city and for their constituents.
Amazon warehouses popping up all over the USA and politicians brag about all the new jobs.

DBMaster,

All politicians then brag about creating ___ amount of jobs into their city and for their constituents.
Amazon warehouses popping up all over the USA and politicians brag about all the new jobs.

Correct! I have become intimately acquainted, in my current job, about how statistics can be used to tell a partial story, or maybe a false story. Rick Perry did it during the recession when bragging about Texas jobs.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I always wonder where all the new tax money goes.

In Texas the primary source of funding is sales and property taxes. It never seems to be enough for the schools, roads, and public services. Most sizable cities owe hundreds of millions for municipal bonds while we have some of the highest sales and property tax rates in the country. Notice I'm not saying the highest bills, just some of the highest rates. (local sales tax for me is 8.25% and property tax runs about 2% of appraised value). Gasoline tax hasn't been changed since 1991 and I think it's about 20 cents per gallon. It doesn't even all go to public roads. Why do that when you can partner with private firms to build and maintain toll roads. I've been paying about $,1500/year in tolls. There are many that pay a lot more than that. Even though I consider that a "tax" it doesn't have deductible status.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Illinoistan is losing one person every 4 days. Wonder why?
lol.gif

It takes three days to arrange the rental truck and pack up?
21.gif

I do...high today is 34 degrees here (22 now), and 57 in El Paso. 66 degrees on Christmas Day, 70 the day after, at least 56 degrees every day for the next two weeks. Next week, the high temperatures here are under 20 for 5 straight days.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
This picture is from today. The county snow plow was plowing my street and spooked the herd of elk in my yard. The plow driver whom I know stopped out front of my house. I went out there and asked whats up? he never stops. He said he spooked a herd of elk in my yard and 1 of them impaled itself on one of the property stakes you see in the background of the picture above with the bulls in it, the young cow tried to jump over the fence and landed right on the property stake. Death by property stake! He wanted to know if I would salvage it so it would not go to waste. He had already called Idaho fish and game and told them what happened, and in this state they will let you salvage the animal in a case such as this. She is a 2 or 3 year old, she is hanging in my garage now, gonna be hanging for a week or 2 before butchering. Will be good eating.

"Near" Boise....cough cough
BAMBI !!!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I do...high today is 34 degrees here (22 now), and 57 in El Paso. 66 degrees on Christmas Day, 70 the day after, at least 56 degrees every day for the next two weeks. Next week, the high temperatures here are under 20 for 5 straight days.

You guys are lucky to get cold weather for the holidays.

Originally Posted By: CT8
BAMBI !!! [/quote] LOL! Same family, but that's an elk....as of today, she has no more fur coat. "She got skinned today"

It was 0 Degree's Fahrenheit here this morning, I think that's no temperature .That keeps the people from moving here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You guys are lucky to get cold weather for the holidays.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back