The economical oil change: A modest proposal for a Litmus Test

How about anyone whose engine ever burns oil at a rate of more than 0.5qt/10k mi loses. Bet they’ll spend more.
Then I just won that bet.
My truck uses a qt every 1,500 miles or so. Last change was $18 total.
I am using my "expensive" oil @ $2.25/qt. So over the ~6,000 mile interval I would add 3 qts, about $7 worth of oil, so still under $30.
My current plan is actually just top off oil till I hit 10,000 miles on the filter (Fram Ultra) then drain the oil and change the filter.
Daughter's car uses a qt in about 3,500 miles, last change was $3 total (cost of filter, used some of the "free" after rebate oil in her car). So still $3.

Nice!

Not really available to anyone but you though.

My oil stash isnt nearly as impressive but Ive got a grip of old school FRUS.
It was available to many for a while, just not now.
One of the reasons some have a stash.

Then I just won that bet.
My truck uses a qt every 1,500 miles or so. Last change was $18 total.
I am using my "expensive" oil @ $2.25/qt. So over the ~6,000 mile interval I would add 3 qts, about $7 worth of oil, so still under $30.
My current plan is actually just top off oil till I hit 10,000 miles on the filter (Fram Ultra) then drain the oil and change the filter.
Daughter's car uses a qt in about 3,500 miles, last change was $3 total (cost of filter, used some of the "free" after rebate oil in her car). So still $3.

It was available to many for a while, just not now.
One of the reasons some have a stash.
Hey we're aligned thats why I have a stash - but alas "the game" is unclear.

Can the solution be a stash and technique? If so a bunch of us here have a head start on 99% of the guys out there.

Or must one be able to replicate the oil change on a whim with no preparation? Like the annoying brother in law that waits up to a year for me to do it for him.

where do automobile that have a self changing oil system fall into this Litmus test?

We’ll definitely red only because I like one brand of oil that is specially formulated and it’s 47 dollars a case and my filter is 8 dollars. Engines are expensive and oil is cheap. So I don’t really care on the price.

We’ll definitely red only because I like one brand of oil that is specially formulated and it’s 47 dollars a case and my filter is 8 dollars. Engines are expensive and oil is cheap. So I don’t really care on the price.
It is true that engines cost more than oil, but that in no way supports the idea that oil should not be carefully shopped on quality and price. Not sure what a "case" of oil is these days, so hard to comment. If you have a very specific need with few suppliers, like, say BMW LL17fe+, then okay. If this is an HPL situation, I get that too, but don't necessarily agree with the thinking. With regard to what is best for engines, although many on BITOG say otherwise, you will almost always be best off with the manufacturer's suggestion.

Hey we're aligned thats why I have a stash - but alas "the game" is unclear.

Can the solution be a stash and technique? If so a bunch of us here have a head start on 99% of the guys out there.

Or must one be able to replicate the oil change on a whim with no preparation? Like the annoying brother in law that waits up to a year for me to do it for him.
Yeah, I agree, hoarders are not on par with regular users for oil change cost.

But if not for my stash, I would still be on the low end.
None of my vehicles (except for my motorcycle call for anything fancy, so store brand oil and a Supertech/Fram level filter are fine.
5 qts of Supertech syn and a Supertech filter is change (would just buy two 5 qt jugs and use the 2nd jug for that extra qt and top off's). The Santa Fe would be just over the $30 mark since the cheapest filter is $8.

Tough game to play because there’s a lot of variables...number of quarts your engine requires, how long your manufacturer interval is, etc.

If I were using my daughters 2008 CRV that takes five quarts and a small/cheap filter. I’d simply run ST 5w20 conventional and a ST filter and come in just shy of $22 total.

My own vehicle takes 6.4 quarts, and the manufacturer OCI is 10,000 miles. I could buy a half decent name band 0W20 synthetic and filter, run it 10,000 miles and come out spending a few bucks less over the same interval than using my daughters CRV.

Tough game to play because there’s a lot of variables...number of quarts your engine requires, how long your manufacturer interval is, etc.

If I were using my daughters 2008 CRV that takes five quarts and a small/cheap filter. I’d simply run ST 5w20 conventional and a ST filter and come in just shy of $22 total.

My own vehicle takes 6.4 quarts, and the manufacturer OCI is 10,000 miles. I could buy a half decent name band 0W20 synthetic and filter, run it 10,000 miles and come out spending a few bucks less over the same interval than using my daughters CRV.
There are a lot of variables, but this game ignores many, to get to the core question of what you spend for five quarts of decent synthetic oil and a filter. That gets to the question of economy in requiring resources. OCI's vary, and some are advocating syn. Still others want to use one oil filter through two or three oil fills. Much respect for those trying to make their money go farther, but the game needs to be kept manageable and simple.

What hue of red would this be, keeping in mind that the multi-point inspection is complimentary?
PXL_20231006_210918513.jpg

Cool way of putting it. I did pretty good this time around and took advantage of now owning two Nissans that use same oil and filters bought in “semi-bulk”

12 - x4612 filters $2.11ea
Don’t know why I did 8 and not 10 but anyway
8 - 5Qt napa synthetic 0w20 $19.99 ea

Somewhere in the ballpark of $22.10 per oil change.

My days of oil stashing are gone, so now I gotta pay. But I think I still squeeze into the 💚 Green 💚.

For the Lexus: 8qts of SuperTech 15W40 (it's API SN) and ST3614 oil filter. Under $30 after tax.
Screenshot_20231109-072416.jpg

After an oil change I end up with couple quarts of top-off oil.
PXL_20231109_123556631.jpg

I like to use the best oil I can obtain. I like the peace of mind knowing I can go longer between changes if need be and maintain a very clean engine. There are times, especially during winter, when changing the oil is a hassle. I prefer to spend the extra money for a more robust product. It's as simple as that for me. Oil is not expensive. Never has been. Of all the things I purchase I'd put oil at the bottom of the list. So oil price is inelastic to me.

Last edited:
My Accent only takes 3 qts when I reuse the filter. And even then only takes 3.5 qts. Use to go three times on the filter.

Back