The economical oil change: A modest proposal for a Litmus Test

I used to think top side extraction and letting the top-of-the-line filter go more than one service was crazy.
Call me crazy, I guess. I have gone 3 services on a filter... Please don't tell anyone.

If you wanna talk savings, well you save time and don't fill the landfills quite as quickly.

If I wanted to be real spendy 🫰
$10.33 for 5qts Total, $4.08 for a FL910s

$14.41 for a full synthetic/OE OCI is a steal IMO 🫡

Depending on vehicle, add $1 or so for a crush washer, and washer fluid is approaching $4 a gallon 👀

Still, most oil change places won't give you cheap bulk + jobber filter for less than $45 OTD

Depending on vehicle, add $1 or so for a crush washer, and washer fluid is approaching $4 a gallon 👀

Still, most oil change places won't give you cheap bulk + jobber filter for less than $45 OTD
That's explains why I got on BITOG years ago. Better oil and filters for less than the oil stores provide.

What if I can get my oil changed at the Ford dealer for 19.95? Is that a win?

I figured it was on our Pacifica. The filter is $12 at Walmart. They use an Omnicraft filter and 5 quarts of FVP 0w20 Dexos rated oil.

I figured it was on our Pacifica. The filter is $12 at Walmart. They use an Omnicraft filter and 5 quarts of FVP 0w20 Dexos rated oil.
A huge win. Your dealership must be doing this as a big loss leader!

It depends on whether "the game" puts any value on your own time.

Providing you actually get actual dexos oil instead of slugs from a mystery barrel that might be ok but the nitrile ADBV omnicraft is a mid grade one OCI filter.

How much time does it take to drive to ford, wait, then drive home?
In my case that would be a minimum of three hours if it takes them an hour.

I can do a topside oil change in under 15 minutes in my driveway, keep my Superior 20-25K oil filter in place till its rated life is up and use 18.99 Dexos supertech if Im trying to be thrifty.

Curious about what oil you are getting for that, and where you get it.
I used to be able to get Rural King for about that.

4.08 is a steal, wally is about double that.

Can you link to these ?

Curious about what oil you are getting for that, and where you get it.
I used to be able to get Rural King for about that.

4.08 is a steal, wally is about double that.

Can you link to these ?

I hedged my bets on a few good sales, should cover me for some time
Economies of scale 🤷‍♂️

I hedged my bets on a few good sales, should cover me for some time
Economies of scale 🤷‍♂️
Nice!

Not really available to anyone but you though.

My oil stash isnt nearly as impressive but Ive got a grip of old school FRUS.

Last edited:
Hmmm. You must have a very special connection for Liqui Moly and HPL products!
Red is the HPL for my Sportwagen. Liquimoly is always free from FCP using their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee...less a small shipping cost which is squarely in the green category here.

It depends on whether "the game" puts any value on your own time.

Providing you actually get actual dexos oil instead of slugs from a mystery barrel that might be ok but the nitrile ADBV omnicraft is a mid grade one OCI filter.

How much time does it take to drive to ford, wait, then drive home?
In my case that would be a minimum of three hours if it takes them an hour.

I can do a topside oil change in under 15 minutes in my driveway, keep my Superior 20-25K oil filter in place till its rated life is up and use 18.99 Dexos supertech if Im trying to be thrifty.
They pick up and deliver it from my house if I’m in a time crunch. If I drive there it’s about a 10-15 minute drive and an hour for them to get it in and out. The van has a cartridge filter so adbv is a non issue for this application.

They pick up and deliver it from my house if I’m in a time crunch. If I drive there it’s about a 10-15 minute drive and an hour for them to get it in and out. The van has a cartridge filter so adbv is a non issue for this application.

What's the pickup and delivery cost?

I actually do that but didn't even mention it in my first page post. Using a filter for 2 OC's for years has never, ever affected anything. I have complete confidence in 2X filter intervals.
back in the day, most of the American Cars specced an every other oil change replace the filter routine.

Back