The Dukes of Hazzard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I don't think the confederate flag is such a big deal but in this current era no network would take the chance of lampooning police officers, not even obviously (and comically) crooked ones. Or moonshining for that matter; the tv series was based on a 1975 moonshining movie that was still part of the counterculture movement.

See that's what I like about it. I've noticed in the 80's shows tended to have a good vs bad plot and private individuals were the hero, Dukes, Magnum PI, A-team etc. Shows nowadays seem to make the police and government the hero (all the crime science shows for example) and the individual weak and even usually the bad guy. I do think the flag and the car is a big deal and non pc nowadays. The show was pretty much only syndicated on cable on a country theme channel and not on say TBS which is more mainstream..

Yeah, forgot about the straightenin the curves and flattening the hills; hmm... wonder what this means! Great show in my opinion and could never get over Enis and his glass of buttermilk!?

What I remember is that my friends and I were saying that they were destroying all those Chargers. We were Mopar fans. At the time, I thought I read an article that they had like 22 Chargers and a dozen cop cars on hand for the stunt scenes needed. And who could resist Daisy Duke.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: carlprop
What I remember is that my friends and I were saying that they were destroying all those Chargers. We were Mopar fans. At the time, I thought I read an article that they had like 22 Chargers and a dozen cop cars on hand for the stunt scenes needed. And who could resist Daisy Duke.
grin.gif

Let's put it this way...

When they were filming episodes, they would transport the cars using auto transporters. The transporters were always full. They did a lot of filming in the hills and mountains north of Los Angeles. We regularly saw transporters with several General Lees or Hazzard cruisers on them. The cars were constructed to suit the stunts they performed, with different ones for doing jumps or for driving on two wheels.

There were also transporters full of GMC 4x4 pick-ups that had brown paint and storage boxes integrated into the forward bedsides, below the chrome bed-mounted rollbar. Anyone here remember the name of the show they played a prominent part in?

Originally Posted By: rshunter

There were also transporters full of GMC 4x4 pick-ups that had brown paint and storage boxes integrated into the forward bedsides, below the chrome bed-mounted rollbar. Anyone here remember the name of the show they played a prominent part in?

The Fall Guy

Driven by "The Unknown Stuntman"

That show is a true classic, and always will be.

I watched it obessively, and I actually think the movie version that was done a few years ago was a great tribute to it - anyone like the recent movie?

The one thing I find hilarious about the show is just HOW MUCH happens in a tiny southern 'hick' town....LOL!

Movie was good. Saw it at the drive in which is the perfect venue. There were even some cool 70s iron in attendance.

Anyone remember the Roy Orbison episode where he got cajoled into performing at the Boar's Nest, and Boss Hogg granted free admission but had an exit fee?
lol.gif

Or the one where they had a rigged gas pump that only gave two tablespoons for every gallon indicated? Like noone would notice their gauge not moving up from "E".

Or Uncle Jesse had this huge black car stuck in the barn left over from his moonshining days, but for whatever reason never dusted it off in previous episodes when the kids needed a car?

I liked that super aggressive (and competent) cop the next county over. He was everything Cletus wasn't.

Speaking of political correctness, there was an episode a couple weeks ago where they were making ethanol with moonshine equipment, so they wouldn't have to buy oil from "them Ay-rabs". I don't think they'd have that kind of dialog today.

I don't think I watched the movies all the way through but from what I seen I can't say I liked them as well as the original TV show's better episodes. I think the last movie might have been better, what was it The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning from '07? It was set in present time. If it was the beginning it should've been set in the mid 70's. That would've been harder to do but much better. What made the TV show good was the cast and characters and the original time frame. The characters in the movies were about as bad a flop as Coy and Vance were IMO.

TV got a lot more PC sometime in the 90's I think. Also the theme of good vs bad seem to disappear too. I use to like professional wrestling back in the 80's. The things Roddy Piper would say never would be aired later on lol. Arabs and foreigners were usually heels in the 80's. Professional wrestling got really PC and stupid after the 80's IMO. It's like wrestling and TV was all about ego but lacked personality.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

The Fall Guy

Congratulations! You win the Cupie doll and the, "I Love '80s TV Shows Award"!

11.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

The Fall Guy

Congratulations! You win the Cupie doll and the, "I Love '80s TV Shows Award"!

11.gif

I loved that show when I was a kid. I was probably 12-13 when I was watching it. I had to go and watch the theme song on Youtube after you asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back