1930s B&W TV Shows / Movies

There seems to be quite a few episodes of Laurel & Hardy on youtube from the early 1930s. I used to watch them quite a bit when I was a kid. I watched a few episodes and it seemed interesting to see a clear B&W TV show from when my dad was 10 to 20 years old. One episode, I definitely remembered parts of, called "The Music Box" where they carried a crated piano up some cement outdoor stairs, and then dropped it and it fella long way to the sidewalk below. But when Oliver did things that hurt Stan by accident, Stan's cry was kind of annoying, lol. But it tends to take me way back to the 50s to some of the first TV shows I ever watched. Then their shows started to seem boring. But as a rule I find old TV shows & movies like that interesting, just to get a history lesson of the way life was way back before my time.
Then there was another episode called "County Hospital" or something like that, and Stan (the bigger guy) was in there on one of the upper floors with his leg hanging up in the air, and Ollie brought him some hard boiled eggs and nuts in a paper bag. I got a kick out of that. Was Ollie trying to get Stan on a keto diet? J/k. And then how Stan kept pouting to Ollie "hard boiled eggs and nuts". So Ollie ate them himself.
It's interesting to see something I probably saw several times when I was a kid, but not for a good 60 years. Is my memory fading or is it possible that I never took mental note of some of the details?

stan-laurel-and-oliver-hardy-in-the-music-box-1932-tinted-sepia.jpg

There seems to be quite a few episodes of Laurel & Hardy on youtube from the early 1930s. I used to watch them quite a bit when I was a kid. I watched a few episodes and it seemed interesting to see a clear B&W TV show from when my dad was 10 to 20 years old. One episode, I definitely remembered parts of, called "The Music Box" where they carried a crated piano up some cement outdoor stairs, and then dropped it and it fella long way to the sidewalk below. But when Oliver did things that hurt Stan by accident, Stan's cry was kind of annoying, lol. But it tends to take me way back to the 50s to some of the first TV shows I ever watched. Then their shows started to seem boring. But as a rule I find old TV shows & movies like that interesting, just to get a history lesson of the way life was way back before my time.
Then there was another episode called "County Hospital" or something like that, and Stan (the bigger guy) was in there on one of the upper floors with his leg hanging up in the air, and Ollie brought him some hard boiled eggs and nuts in a paper bag. I got a kick out of that. Was Ollie trying to get Stan on a keto diet? J/k. And then how Stan kept pouting to Ollie "hard boiled eggs and nuts". So Ollie ate them himself.
It's interesting to see something I probably saw several times when I was a kid, but not for a good 60 years. Is my memory fading or is it possible that I never took mental note of some of the details?

View attachment 97422
Love the old stuff.

I read somewhere that Mr. Laurel was either very down to earth or never realized that he was a big star. His phone number was in the L.A. phone book. **** Van Dyke got in touch with him simply by looking him up.
I watch two hours of the 3 stooges most Saturday nights on MeTV. A lot of things seem the same about daily life so long ago.

The serials and short films of the '30s were like tv episodes and translated well to television in the 50s. The technology of television existed before WWII, but was put on hold due to the war.

Commercial broadcast TV didn't start until July 1st, 1941. All of the short "serials" like Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges (etc) were produced to show in theaters before the feature movies. They were highly suitable for commercial TV because of their short length.

Last edited:
They had TV in the 1930's? I thought it started after WWII and picked up in the 1950's. Prewar was mainly experimental.

It was made for movie theaters when it was made, and was broadcast on TVs in the 50s, and now it's on youtube as well.

My Dad had a TV shop in southern Illinois when I was a kid. I' go with him on service calls and hand him tools and tubes. My Grandparents had one of the first tvs in our town in 1953 and everyone would come over to their house to watch it. My Dad put up a big antenna with a rotor and we could watch tv from all around. Those were the days. I miss my Dad and Mom.

View attachment 97422
That piano episode is a classic!

Back