The Double Big Mac....

After all of these years with the McD's customizable options all they still offer is gross American cheese. Wendy's offers Asiago as an option which is quite good. It seems if all American burger chains still use disgusting (should be illegal) chemicals in their buns.
American cheese isn't cheese. It's cheese emulsified with water. That's why it feels so plasticky and melts smoothly. I think it's gross. CA has fairly recently outlawed the sale of bromated flour and commercial use is banned following most of the rest of the world. In all other US states you may get your fill of bromated flour, AFASIK.

In n out for me. Best price, fresh.
I just wish they had a better bun but they also offer "protein style" which is a lettuce-wrapped bun. Of all the chains, Super Duper has the best meat and buns, in my opinion. I have not seen Super Duper outside the Bay Area.

Last edited:
In n out for me. Best price, fresh.

When I first started going to In-N-Out I think a single burger was maybe $1.10. My first time was after going shopping in Gilroy, California and I'd heard of it maybe 1997 and wanted to give it a try. It was a very different experience back then. That place was packed, we waited about 15 minutes to get to the register and maybe another half hour for the food. But at the time they asked for a name when ordering and it could get interesting when they yelled out all those names. That was also back when their ketchup on came in packets and they were refrigerated. I never quite got that, but after a while they switched to dispensers and if packets are requested they're at room temperature.

Not sure about the prices now. It's way outpaced inflation, but so has most fast food burgers. I remember when a Jumbo Jack at Jack in the Box was 99 cents and then maybe $1.39 just 4 years ago. Haven't been to one in a while though.

I just wish they had a better bun but they also offer "protein style" which is a lettuce-wrapped bun. Of all the chains, Super Duper has the best meat and buns, in my opinion. I have not seen Super Duper outside the Bay Area.

That's the brainchild of Adriano Paganini. I haven't had a burger there but stopped for garlic fries once.

I loved Pasta Pomodoro when he operated it. Went way south when it was sold off to a couple of tech bros. Tried it once under new management and never again.

That's the brainchild of Adriano Paganini. I haven't had a burger there but stopped for garlic fries once.

I loved Pasta Pomodoro when he operated it. Went way south when it was sold off to a couple of tech bros. Tried it once under new management and never again.
I ate there a long time ago. I guess it didn't leave an impression because I tend to remember the restaurants I like. I know there was an Uno's on Lombard but they shut down years ago.

When I first started going to In-N-Out I think a single burger was maybe $1.10. My first time was after going shopping in Gilroy, California and I'd heard of it maybe 1997 and wanted to give it a try. It was a very different experience back then. That place was packed, we waited about 15 minutes to get to the register and maybe another half hour for the food. But at the time they asked for a name when ordering and it could get interesting when they yelled out all those names. That was also back when their ketchup on came in packets and they were refrigerated. I never quite got that, but after a while they switched to dispensers and if packets are requested they're at room temperature.

Not sure about the prices now. It's way outpaced inflation, but so has most fast food burgers. I remember when a Jumbo Jack at Jack in the Box was 99 cents and then maybe $1.39 just 4 years ago. Haven't been to one in a while though.
The .49 cent hamburgers stand isn't .49 cents anymore.

I think so.

During my college years I had a part-time/summer job (and sometimes minimum courseload with two weekdays free) in downtown San Francisco and there was a Pizzeria Uno at Embarcadero Center. I also remember one in Santa Clara on El Camino Real and another at Jack London Square in Oakland. But it was a chain. And I might go for the lunch special, which was a single pan pizza with salad and drink for about $6. The 90s had great pricing.

I did visit the Chicago area once (long story) where our hosts said that if we really wanted to try Chicago pizza we should go to to Uno. I was kind of thinking it was a chain, but now I'm thinking she was suggesting the original Uno location, or possibly the nearby Due. Uno and Due meant first and second. But those locations are operated differently than the chain as a whole. Kind of reminds me of how the original Swensen's Ice Cream in San Francisco is basically allowed to do whatever they want even though the trademark and international licensing are owned by a big company.

Yes, I'm.talking about the chain. I do remember the Express Lunch from the early '90s. Got it sometimes instead of school lunch.

Like you said, I think it was $5 or $6 for a small individual pizza, a salad, and a drink. There was always a line at lunchtime at Uno's.

Like you said, I think it was $5 or $6 for a small individual pizza, a salad, and a drink. There was always a line at lunchtime at Uno's.

Certainly in San Francisco. The one in Santa Clara was often pretty empty. I'd sometimes go there when I was working in Silicon Valley but I also went to school in the area. As for "express", once I was there (before I was working in the area) and just sat there for an hour with my beverage since they forgot me. But they finally brought it out, apologized, and comped me the meal plus a $5 gift certificate that I never used. I had plenty of time and the money was probably more important to a poor college student than time.

As for Pasta Pomodoro - I liked it. It was quite affordable and simple without being kitschy like most ideas of what "Italian" is. Adriano Paganini said it was similar to the kind of simple/affordable restaurant he grew up with in Italy. I had several Italian friends who really liked it. My favorite was the frutti di mare, which was just spaghetti with a tomato sauce and shrimp and mussels. I don't think there was squid though.

Paganini has done a bunch of restaurants including Delarosa and Super Duper.

We also understand value, which is critical. I think it's because value is what people need in San Francisco. I like value myself, I really do — I grew up with not a lot of money in Italy, and that made it important to not spend money if you don’t have it. So we not only understand value, but we’re passionate about providing it. It's important — and interesting — to me to operate restaurants that are not exclusive. Restaurants that anyone can afford. You might think we're doing this because that is what works, but that's also what we're passionate about.​
The truth is, restaurants in San Francisco are getting too expensive. They don’t need to be. I also don't like the whole fanciness, the whole exclusiveness. I can afford it, but I don't like it. I want young people to be able to afford to eat at my restaurants. There is room for restaurants that are more exclusive and more expensive; there is just not room for hundreds of them.​

I miss the days of the McD’s app when everything was being given away (2015-2021). What I mean was free large sandwich no purchase necessary. I would feel remorse that I was too lazy to go and get it.

Today no such thing. Free large sandwich with $2 purchase. Nothing is $2 so a person would need to spend almost $3 to get the free item.

Now any size fries $1.39 is probably the best deal. But it used to be both free and $1.

Certainly in San Francisco. The one in Santa Clara was often pretty empty. I'd sometimes go there when I was working in Silicon Valley but I also went to school in the area. As for "express", once I was there (before I was working in the area) and just sat there for an hour with my beverage since they forgot me. But they finally brought it out, apologized, and comped me the meal plus a $5 gift certificate that I never used. I had plenty of time and the money was probably more important to a poor college student than time.

As for Pasta Pomodoro - I liked it. It was quite affordable and simple without being kitschy like most ideas of what "Italian" is. Adriano Paganini said it was similar to the kind of simple/affordable restaurant he grew up with in Italy. I had several Italian friends who really liked it. My favorite was the frutti di mare, which was just spaghetti with a tomato sauce and shrimp and mussels. I don't think there was squid though.

We also understand value, which is critical. I think it's because value is what people need in San Francisco. I like value myself, I really do — I grew up with not a lot of money in Italy, and that made it important to not spend money if you don’t have it. So we not only understand value, but we’re passionate about providing it. It's important — and interesting — to me to operate restaurants that are not exclusive. Restaurants that anyone can afford. You might think we're doing this because that is what works, but that's also what we're passionate about.​
The truth is, restaurants in San Francisco are getting too expensive. They don’t need to be. I also don't like the whole fanciness, the whole exclusiveness. I can afford it, but I don't like it. I want young people to be able to afford to eat at my restaurants. There is room for restaurants that are more exclusive and more expensive; there is just not room for hundreds of them.​
I think it’s like health care where customers are led to believe it has to be expensive there is no other way.

We go to a restaurant where it feels like Gordon Ramsay is going to bust in at any moment and scream the portions are too huge and prices too low. Prices feel like 2018.

Thing is same restaurateur has restaurants in Manhattan and Brooklyn as well as Phila. He’s not a newbie.

There's a very small Super Duper on California and Laurel. It's chockful with kids much of the time. They seem to be able to afford $6 to $10 burgers.

I previously worked a job where I was on the road a lot, driving to middle of nowhere arriving late to my hotel when everything was closed for the night, etc. McDs was a reliable option to put calories in my belly. The fish filet sandwiches were always tasty and were my go to, but the Big Mac was a close second.

The local 'beef spice profile' gives McDs in Scandinavia a great taste.
Scandinavians drink great coffee...the Scandinavian McDs serve great coffee. "med potar" (with refills).

The local 'beef spice profile' gives McDs in Scandinavia a great taste.
Scandinavians drink great coffee...the Scandinavian McDs serve great coffee. "med potar" (with refills).
I was there in 1997 and thought wow all the portions are half sized. Meanwhile in Stockholm everyone was tanned and fit…

Back