My Old Bike and Getting in Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the compliment on my powers of observation. I'm not sure how much a leg weighs, however 'unweighing' the pedal does lessen the force required on the other leg and when we're talking hundreds & hundreds of strokes, does add up. I look forward to practicing this until it becomes automatic. It will also allow me to exercise the opposite muscle group instead of just letting it "go for a ride".

I was reminded of a few decades ago when I learned to snow ski single-footed by unweighing the inner (up hill) ski. Took me awhile to master, but allowed me to carve really nice parallel turns and endlessly link them all the way down the hill. That was quite a break-through.

Update:
I've been practicing unweighing the pedal mentioned earlier and found it makes more of a difference on the lower gears on the first chainring. At times, my foot does slip and move around, which is frustrating while hill climbing, but I look at it as it'll just become automatic over time.

New handlebar tape made a world of difference. So has the adjustment of the rear derailleur. All is clicking along nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back