The Discount Tire Rotation Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brought my 07 Accord for a tire rotation today at DT. Car has about 19.5k and it had been about 7k since last rotation. Tires are OE Michelins.

Drove up, walked in and had to wait about 5 mins, to get waited on, as a few cusomers were being helped in front of me.

Took my information, mileage, and I was in the computer from previous rotations. Brought the car straight in, took the wheels off, and I looked at the brake pads. Still had plenty of pad, but interestingly there was more pad left in front than in back.

I go back into the shop and figure they are just going to rotate and I'm out of there. As I'm looking through window, I see them using a wire wheel brushes attached to air guns buffing the thin rust layer from the (alloy) wheels and the hubs where the wheels meet the hubs. They mount the tires, torque the lugs, and I'm done in 25-30 minutes, gratis.

Keep in mind, I did not buy these tires at DT, though I have bought three sets of tires from them. Told the tech I had never seen tire places wire brush the hubs and wheels. His comment "some places don't go the extra mile." I said, right you are.

Just another example of why, when it comes time for my next set of tires, I'll be buying at DT.

Indeed. I won't get tire service anywhere else. The one I go to even goes to the trouble of driving your vehicle around the parking lot and then re-torquing the lugs right there in front of you so you know they're perfect!

I'm almost thinking of calling in a couple pizzas or something for the guys at this particular store. All long time employees and they just do a bang up job.

It's more shocking that service like that is so rare these days. It used to be the norm.

It sure is nice to know that there are places still willing to take the time to do things right.

I purchased 5 sets of tires at Discount tires, and have been pleased with their service.

I hear ya, and know what you're saying about the pizza deal. The service is so out of the ordinary it's hard to believe sometimes. I keep wondering if it will be different the next time I go in, but they continue to amaze me. I have put my son on to them also, and he's been very satisfied.

Dollar burgers or tacos go a long way near closing time for a bunch of shop guys...be sure to mention the great service to a manager or District/Regional manager if you have the contact. Complaints ring loud, it's the good service that rarely gets the kudos.

About a month ago, my sister called me up and told me she heard hissing from her tire. I told her to check for nails in it, and sure enough, she found a nail. She just happened to be right next door to a Town Fair Tire, so I tell her to go there and have them patch the tire. I warned her that they might try to sell her a tire even though it could probably be patched. Sure enough, the goons there said "because of the way the nail went into the tire, it can't be patched."
smirk2.gif
Since she was unsure of what to do, they ended up just putting the spare tire on for free and she left.

We decided to take it to DT since we had a good experience with them before. So a few days later, we take it there, they patched the tire no problem, and they did it for free! We didn't even buy the tires there, they were on the car when she bought it!
I know exactly where I'm going when I need tires again.
thumbsup2.gif

They usually send me an email with a survey after I get a rotation and I always give top ratings and glowing comments. I can't say that about lots of places but DT is a cut above.

I didn't buy any package for the car I brought in today, but like I said I'll be needing tires soon for my other car, a DT tire purchase, and I'll return.

Last edited:
As for the pads, your rears will go well before your fronts. Not sure why, but it's the overwhelming experience over at vtec.net. A lot of complaints in the 30~40,000 mile range, for worn out rear pads.

Far some unknown reason they use thinner pads on the rears. My GF's old Sebring convertible had to have new rear pads long before the fronts. Chalk it up to another money grab. I love my vehicles with rear drums. Wont buy anything else.

Great to hear about places that are willing to do what is right! Like others have said, it's nice to see a place do the little things that make the big things go so much better.

Too bad there's no Discount Tire anywhere near I am currently or moving to in a year.

Otherwise I'd be taking my car there to do rotations instead of doing them myself!

When I lived in Austin that's the only place I used. Never had a problem. I miss the days I go in to get a balance and rotation without having a shimmy afterwords.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
They usually send me an email with a survey after I get a rotation and I always give top ratings and glowing comments. I can't say that about lots of places but DT is a cut above.

I didn't buy any package for the car I brought in today, but like I said I'll be needing tires soon for my other car, a DT tire purchase, and I'll return.

So they will do a free balance and tire rotation even if you didn't buy the tires thee?

Originally Posted By: wymi516
So they will do a free balance and tire rotation even if you didn't buy the tires thee?
No, not balance just rotation. I was having no vibration issues so rotation works fine. If I were to want/need balance there would be a charge. Can't speak for all, and perhaps because I am a return customer, that might have been a factor, or not.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
. Too bad there's no Discount Tire anywhere near I am currently or moving to in a year.

Otherwise I'd be taking my car there to do rotations instead of doing them myself!
Really surprised they haven't made it down your way yet. There's a bunch around Charlotte. According to the map it says coming soon to Columbia. However with the economy I would bet some may have been put on hold.

Drew and solo, you've given me an idea. Call over tomorrow and see if I could do something along the lines you mentioned.

As for the brakes, I had read that the rears wear first for some reason. Still looked like good for awhile anyway.

The only place that I use for tires and tire service...unless Tire rack kills them in price, which doesn't happen often. They will really sharpen their pencils when you bring in ads from competitors.

Always fast, courteous service! IMO One of the top chains in any business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back