The Discount Tire Rotation Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get my tires at Cotsco because of their good deals on Michellins, but last time, I tried DT for my 4Runner's tires. I paid $375 for the Khumo Solus out the door with free lifetime rotation, balancing and etc.

As mentioned already, fast service and low prices.

Oh and free cookies and coffee too!

I used to buy tires at Costco, but at least the one in my area got so tight on mileage adjustment....just a tad difference in wear across the tire and they refused any adjustment. A few years ago it was no problem, but not anymore. Also the wait at my store is long. I guess they want to give you more time to buy extra stuff at Costco. LOL

Spoke with the manager on duty today, and his choice instead of pizza or burgers is.......DONUTS, in the morning, upon opening. So it looks like a couple dozen Krispy Kremer's delivered in the morning. Least I can do.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
As for the pads, your rears will go well before your fronts. Not sure why, but it's the overwhelming experience over at vtec.net. A lot of complaints in the 30~40,000 mile range, for worn out rear pads.

That's better than the new VW's. My sister's Jetta had to have the rear pads changed at about 20K, which is absolutely normal according to VW. Of course, I could only do that after I had to hunt down the $60 or so bit to actually be able to change them. Only took about 3-5 hours on each side to get the bolts that must have been put in with an air gun out with only enough room to get a 10" ratchet on them.

I recently brought in the rear tire from my 2005 Corvette, an original runflat, that had a nail in it. The manager met me in the parking lot as I was pulling in, rolled the tire and wheel in. When he found out I was waiting too long for it to be patched, he personally made sure it got done, bagged the tire and wheel to go in the back of my truck and sent me on my way, NO CHARGE.
Very impressed .

I haven't had any experience with Discount Tire Co. where they went above and beyond my expectations. It's enough that they do good work, do it quickly, and charge a fair price for it.

I've been to tire places that mount the tires using an impact wrench and didn't torque the lugs to spec. I've had to replace a rotor at 30K, because of uneven(over) impact wrench lug torqueing.

I've been to tire places that use torque sticks but no torque wrench. I've been to others that don't want, or you have to make an appointment, to rotate the tires after the sale even though it's part of the sale.

My son had an OE BFG Rugged Trail (low miles) get a nail in it. Took it to DT, it couldn't be patched because it was outside the tread point where they can patch. I was ready to plug it myself, but didn't really feel good about it. The DT guy offered to call Michelin and see if they could get a prorate. I said will they do that, he said we have an excellent relationship with Michelin, and no harm in trying. Called, got a prorate, very reasonable price, new BFG RT balanced, installed and on our way. When it came time for new tires, he went back to DT.

As for the freebies. DT send/sent me an email saying "we invite you to come in for a free tire rotation and air pressure check on your vehicle". And then went on to say I could forward/send the email to a friend. Not bad! I would have paid for the first rotation on the OE tires, but they said no charge for that. They did want to know if I wanted a balance, but I had no vibrations. Since then the Accord is in their computer.

Last set of Gen HP's, DT beat an online tire price by going to the wesite to verify.

And as said, taking the wire wheel to the wheels and hubs was a first for me. Would I say that exceeded my expectations for a simple rotation? You bet.

I've been buying tires for over 35 years and DT is without a doubt, the best place I've been to buy tires. And, perhaps the best for any kind of product and service after sale.

Anyway, the local DT team got hot Krispy Kreme glazed on Wednesday morning. As Arnold would say, I'll be baaack.
grin2.gif

I've been using Discount for 20 years. Recently I took my wife's Acadia with 3k in because a tire had a nail. They plugged and patched it but it leaked some overnight. The Assistant Manager checked it himself and said the tire had been repaired poorly and he considered the tire ruined. He got a brand new Goodyear Fortera out of his stock and put it on free. It was the first time they had ever done a poor repair but I was so impressed that he immediately took responsibility and made it right.

Originally Posted By: Loopie
I always get my tires at Cotsco because of their good deals on Michellins, but last time, I tried DT for my 4Runner's tires. I paid $375 for the Khumo Solus out the door with free lifetime rotation, balancing and etc.

As mentioned already, fast service and low prices.

Oh and free cookies and coffee too!

Kumho Solus for your 4runner? I thought Solus was for sedans. Anyways, so the Discount Tire Direct gives you lifetime balance and rotation for free? If so, I am definately going to go there for a new set of tires.

Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Anyways, so the Discount Tire Direct gives you lifetime balance and rotation for free?
NO. Valve stems, prorated road hazard, and lifetime rotations are free, meaning included in price of tire.

Lifetime balance will cost you extra. On their website it says $15.00, but if you have been shopping around, it's a price figure that can be negotiated. Last tires I purchased, I had a price with a Wally install including lifetime balance. To beat the price, the LT balance worked out to $10.00 per tire. FWIW, they have top of the line balance equipment, I've always gotten it.

of all the tyre places i've been to, i find Kmart Tyre and Auto to be the best, at a specific location though, not all of them. T Hey actually let me hang out in the shop and see what they were doing.

Kmart must a tad better down under. I don't know of any KM tire places in the States. Sears owns them, so that would where the tire places are here.

As for watching, DT has a giant window partition between the air conditioned showroom and shop, and you can watch all you want. Or, you stand outside. They've never had a problem with me checking my brake pads after the tires are removed.

I am also sold on DT. Their service is excellent and quick.

I used to be a fan of Costco. Costco is good for everything - EXCEPT TIRES. Costco service sucks, their warranty on tires is weird (have been screwed over twice on a 4 set of tires - Bridgestone Potenza's I purchased from them - 60 K tires, 1 went bad with sidewall leak in 10k, other with same leak in 17 k or so - and their warranty was based on how much tread was left - 30 % and 10 % of purchase price on new tire). New tires were BF Goodrich that are holding well.

DT is the best.

I 've had good and bad experience with DT:

GOOD - My kid at UF in Gainesville had 4 tires replaced. They prorated a defect in another tire (not bought there) and were extremely honest and fair.

BAD - The store in Ormond Beach,FL has always refused to repair our tires instead pushing for replacement. This is especially true when they see my wife.
She recently went in for a rotation on 4 relatively young Yokohamas. The guy commented to her that she is going to need tires soon. I measured them myself and they had at least 5-6/32 left. I do not trust these guys at all. I will use DT again but not in ormond beach.

I had four Michelin Exalto's put on yesterday at Discount Tire. I got a good deal, $498.00 after the $70.00 rebate. When I walked out to drive the car away I immediately noticed they put four black plastic tire valve stem caps on in place of the factory silver metal caps. I went right back inside and asked why. The guy looked at me kind of funny and then said, oh, well the metal valve stem caps corrode and cause problems. I then told him that Hyundai will void the warranty on the TPMS sensors if you don't have the oem metal caps on. This was an issue I read about on another forum, not verified by my dealer but why take a chance? He then went back to find the stem caps and they were in the pocket of the tire guy that changed my tires. I then spoke to the manager and had him add the road hazard warranty for free. The manager was apologetic and added the road hazard warranty for free right away to my reprinted receipt. This is the first incident I've had in all the years of going to DT, I'll be back though, overall they have the best prices and services. I see this as an isolated incident that I'm sure will never happen again at this location. BTW, I checked the cold inflation tire pressures after the car sat in the garage overnight. All four tires were different with only one being at my specified 32psi. The tires were all off by at least 1.5psi with one being off by 2psi. The Michelin Exalto's feel great so far, nice firm, smooth ride and the handling is much better then the stock Michelin Energy S8's that came with the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harthamm

BAD - The store in Ormond Beach,FL has always refused to repair our tires instead pushing for replacement. This is especially true when they see my wife.
She recently went in for a rotation on 4 relatively young Yokohamas. The guy commented to her that she is going to need tires soon. I measured them myself and they had at least 5-6/32 left. I do not trust these guys at all. I will use DT again but not in ormond beach.

Let me guess.... Yokohama YK520s? Mine have 15K and are down to 6/32nd (well, fronts 7/32, rears 5/32). I don't suspect they will last much longer on my TL.

I await The Critic to poke fun at me... like he did when I first got them. LOL.

Other than that, great service for the most part.

Last edited:
So after 4 balance attempts at 3 different Wally Worlds to get weights to stay on my tires, this topic makes me think I should pay DT a visit.

Originally Posted By: lightbulb
So after 4 balance attempts at 3 different Wally Worlds to get weights to stay on my tires, this topic makes me think I should pay DT a visit.

welcome2.gif
I'd say so. All they do is tires. Balance equipment is first class/top of the line. They know what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Let me guess.... Yokohama YK520s? Mine have 15K and are down to 6/32nd (well, fronts 7/32, rears 5/32). I don't suspect they will last much longer on my TL.
Yep, got the YK520's as well. Had good success with the Avid Touring's on a Civic so I thought these would be as good or better on my Altima. Nope. Got 28k now, if I get 32K I'd be doing well.

Last time I had them rotated, I complained about the 60k rating. They were going to prorate the set that got moved to the front, and get me two new tires( other set too far down). I said I don't just buy two tires, but told the manager the next time I come in that I thought there should be some kind of adjustment based on the 60k rating, towards a new set of tires. He said they would work with me. I believe him. Doesn't change my opinion of DT, just the Yoko 520's, not so good.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Last time I had them rotated, I complained about the 60k rating. They were going to prorate the set that got moved to the front, and get me two new tires( other set too far down). I said I don't just buy two tires, but told the manager the next time I come in that I thought there should be some kind of adjustment based on the 60k rating, towards a new set of tires. He said they would work with me. I believe him. Doesn't change my opinion of DT, just the Yoko 520's, not so good.

I cannot say I am disappointed with the Yokos as I got them for $120 a piece in a P245/45R17 size. Tires in that size don't last long either. They are good in dry and wet, handle well, are relatively quiet and have good road manners so I cannot complain. I'd rather have tires like that for 25K than rough tires for 36K.

The yokos I had on the Jeep didn't last long, come to think of it... but they were good tires... just poor life.

For the next set, I'm gonna try GY Eagle GT (new), GY Eagle F1 A/S, Potenza RE960 PP, and possibly Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back