The dangers of a long beard.

I was inspecting my car while it was running and noticed my beard (about 10 inches long) getting close to the pullies. I instantly pulled back and realized having a beard can be a problem when working on cars. Has anyone here ever had to take precaution due to facial hair or decided to forsake facial hair due to working on vehicles?

I found the beard annoying. If I was a full time mechanic, I would never sport a beard. I don’t know how the humble mechanic does it.

No idea. I grew mine out a couple of times, but I don't do much that would be considered "dangerous". And after a couple of months I was done. Sometimes I like the look, other times not.

I'm guessing one could get out the hair ties and make a beard-bun?

On a similar note I don't like regular ties with a dress shirt on. I prefer clip-on ties for the same reasoning.

On a similar note I don't like regular ties with a dress shirt on. I prefer clip-on ties for the same reasoning.
Seems odd, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

It's odd, as a teen my first or second job was in a grocery store, and I had to wear a dress shirt with a tie. When I went off to college it took a while to learn to dress down... and when I got my job after college, I was told to not wear a tie on the job. Granted, it was considered a work hazard. Still, ties don't bother me, not sure why.

But for a few years I also used a pocket protector to hold my pens and ID badge, so perhaps I'm odd in my own way. [If I started using that again, it's possible that HR would walk me out the door for all I know.]

Seems odd, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

It's odd, as a teen my first or second job was in a grocery store, and I had to wear a dress shirt with a tie. When I went off to college it took a while to learn to dress down... and when I got my job after college, I was told to not wear a tie on the job. Granted, it was considered a work hazard. Still, ties don't bother me, not sure why.

But for a few years I also used a pocket protector to hold my pens and ID badge, so perhaps I'm odd in my own way. [If I started using that again, it's possible that HR would walk me out the door for all I know.]
So you don't work on car engines like the OP was going on about.

I mean if I'm Pat on Engine Power I'll wear the hell out of a pocket protector.

maxresdefault.jpg

I work as a millwright in a paper mill. We can’t have a beard with hair over 2” and hair is supposed to be collar length. Lots of rotating equipment.

Badge lanyard scared me the same way. I’m often asked to go outside and help with a problem in the parking lot. Have already been asked to jump a car off tomorrow that one of my bosses left behind with a no-start problem.

I am an ex nerd. Shaved daily and pocket protectors and wrist watch and a tie. Dress code at work and pocket protectors made life easier cause when you put it in your pocket you had all the essentials. Oh yea, I also had the belt mounted cell phone.

I am an ex nerd. Shaved daily and pocket protectors and wrist watch and a tie. Dress code at work and pocket protectors made life easier cause when you put it in your pocket you had all the essentials. Oh yea, I also had the belt mounted cell phone.
🤓

As a machinist, especially a lathe machinist, being around anything that’s exposed and spinning instantly puts my brain into “work mode” and I start rolling up my sleeves, tucking away/removing hoodie strings, etc.

But my beard makes me look like Great Value Luke Combs, even have the same colored beard, so I guess I got that going for (against?) me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Once my facial hair gets to 10mm it starts to really irritate me so I have to get shot of it.

It used to irritate my Wife that I didn't wear my wedding ring to work. But as an electrician I was always worried that it would cause injury. Then I got off the tools and got fat so it doesn't fit any more anyway :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back