The changes at bobistheoilguy.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that I have to enter my username and password to log in now at this web site. Does that prevent new people from viewing the site and becoming members? Can new people still just check out the website?

Nope, this just insures that all the links posted here from other websites in regards to the mobil 1 debacle require guest to register. I bet last months bandwidth bill was horrible.

One of the big reasons we did this was to prevent banned members from reading the forum, which gave them things to quote and post on other sites (or in private emails to people here)

Thats all it takes is a few people with no self control to clamp things down and inconvenience everyone else. I'm new here and have no idea what happened, but I certainly did notice that I suddenly couldn't read posts here without registering. Unfortunately some people will miss out on this forum because they wont get a chance to check it out before they decide to sign up.

I've seen it before on other forums, and elsewhere in life, and its sad. It only takes a couple of idiots to screw things up for hundreds of others.

It is (was) a public forum, one could argue not to write something you don't want quoted. =-)

One negative to requiring registration however is the potential (quality) users it turns away. If I can't preview a site, odds are I won't be back unless I've got a good reference that it offers something I am interested in. I'd rather lurk a while to feel out the place before signing up to see if it is something I wish to be part of.

Does this impact the sponsors at all? Less casual traffic = less exposure for them if it is an aspect they factor into their decisions.

Alex.

I personally believe this is the best wensite on the internet (that I know of) that deals with motor oils, motor oil testing, oil filters, etc. There is not another website that I know of that compares in quality.

Now, if a few people for whatever reason disagree with that and want to trash this website elsewhere on the internet that is their business. Why would they have to trash the site at other websites? That says a lot about them, does it not? If they don't like this website nobody is forcing them to stay. They can go to some silly website where the members endlessly discuss the pros and cons of Slick50 for all I care.

The thing I regret is that people who are just curious about this website will not be able to check it out. And many potentially interesting new members will not be able to join. Sure, they can still join-but they might not because they will not be able to check out the website first.

I will say this-if I did not like this website or disagreed with what was being said here or the rules or whatever, I would leave and not come back. I would not go to some other website and trash this website there. To me that is juvenile. Whatever people did not like this website or were banned for whatever reasons or whatever-they should just drop it. Go to whatever website they like and be a member there. I happen to like this website and I do not appreciate somebody trashing my website somewhere else.

I am a member on a site... I dont go there often everytime
I check active posts there.. someone is saying royal purple
is the best m1 sucks this sucks your stupid.. get rp etc etc
and the maturity level is way low...

Long Live BITOG.

Did we get rid of avatars?

The avatars are not working right now. When Wayne does a back up, we lose the avatars. It whould be fixed shortly.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back