The best synthetic motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
The "One" that makes you most happy. Lots of good stuff out there, it is prudent to stick w/ the one you feel works best in your vehicle.

^^Best answer right there.

Originally Posted By: crashz
quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
Who makes the best tasting food?

Pizza.

"Who makes the best syn?"

Mobil 1.

The reasons why:
While there are a lot of great synthetic out there, Mobil 1 continues to be the lowest price (for a 10w-30 full syn), easiest to obtain, and can hang with the others that are so highly regarded. Is Redline better? Yes in certain situations. Is Amsoil better? Yes, in certain situations. The application is the deciding factor. Mobil 1 is the best for me cause it fits my application the best, its cheaper than the others and I can get it on a whim on Sundays. And since I'm the center of my own little world, Mobil 1 is the best.

Definitely a brand loyalty type question.
Other than 0w-40 mobils oils are competitive with the market,nothing is a standout however they are always a safe bet.

Op. if you're engine is built with stock bearing clearances then an oil like German Castrol or M1 0w-40 would be my first choices. Once oil pressure at temp is observed and consistent then on the next oil change interval you can make minor changes based on the gauges.
Those 2 oils provide a generous amount of headroom in case of hot oil condition arises and I can't think of 2 more proven oils in bitog history.
I'm also confident in those 2 oils that they wouldn't need any extra break in additives. Just run em straight to establish some baselines for the motor.
As far as break in goes I'd use conventional rotella and run it hard to seat the rings properly.
Redline is also my favorite oil blender however ease of availability and cost puts the other 2 ahead in line.

After 10 years (read the OP date), I still believe that the VERY BEST *(defined as performance per dollar) synthetic oil is...

[drum roll]

FAR (Free After Rebate)

Can't be beat, except when sometimes you combine rebates/coupons and get paid to use an oil.

Originally Posted By: fishsalt
Did I read Mobil 1 didn't make a 10-40 oil?

Heck, take a look at their conventional line. Up here, at least, they offer only 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30 as Mobil Super 1000. They don't offer any 10w-40 or 20w-50 stuff at all, let alone straight grades (aside from actual HDEO straight grades in the Delvac series).

Originally Posted By: surfstar
After 10 years (read the OP date), I still believe that the VERY BEST *(defined as performance per dollar) synthetic oil is...

[drum roll]

FAR (Free After Rebate)

Can't be beat, except when sometimes you combine rebates/coupons and get paid to use an oil.

You make a very good point.
I have FAR Ultra, QSUD, PP, VSP and G-Oil in the stash.
All are good oils, although some may be better suited to longer OCIs than others.

Until your engine seizes or explodes, proving you made a bad decision, go with what you like AS LONG AS it meets your manufacturer's specs/approvals. I don't expect ANYONE to report back that my first phrase happened so that tells you to use whatever you like under the condition I stated above.
05.gif

It is this truth that makes this forum such a confusing place. We sometimes discuss various oils as if IT REALLY MATTERS what you use in so many cases (that is if the oil meets your manufacturer's specs/approvals). I believe there are times when a certain oil IS the best for a particular application (like in certain VW engines), but in so many others, let's face it, it does not.) That being said, bring on the discussion: it IS still enjoyable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
German Castrol.

Vat es diz? German Castrol!?

Would you elaborate ... please?

I don't understand ....

Joe

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
German Castrol is the "Made in Germany" Syntec 0W30.

Ah ah ... Oh oh ... OK

The "504 00 / 507 00 / C3" oil without the API "donut" that says "Made in Austria" on the back of the bottle?

Thanks for the info ....
Joe

P.S. Another oil produced without API certification.

Originally Posted By: Ray H
SuperTech "Full Synthetic" 10W-30. Universally recognized by tribologists as the finest of its type available regardless of price and suitable for all automotive applications in any climate. [censored]? Yep. So was your loaded question. Now if you'd given us something to work with, say, "I have a (name your vehicle) with (name your mileage), used primarily for (you get the idea), and I'd appreciate some input about an appropriate synthetic oil.", you'd have received some thoughtful (and more importantly, meaningful) replies. If you want an intelligent answer, ask an intelligent question.

[ October 09, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Just wondering is that SuperTech Full Synthetic that bad?

the 5w20

Warn Climate.

2002 Honda V6 3.0

I have seen people put it in there carts at wallymart however never could buy it myself.

However for 17$ even if you change it each 3000 miles its cheaper then most Blended syn and even DINO Oil.

Does anyone here use it?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back