The $100 Oil Change

I've heard so many horror stories of overtightened drain bolts and cross-threaded ones. I prefer to do oil changes myself. I usually do them right before dark after dinner and it takes less than half an hour. I can see other situations where it is easier and smarter to let a dealer do it for the warranty guarantee.

DIY 2022 F-150 5.0:

1-Champ PH500XL: $5.92
3-QSFS 5w30 1Qt: $17.27
1-QSFS 5w30 5Qt: $22.98

Total: $46.17

Dealership 2022 4Runner TRD Pro:
Free for life 😬😬😬

Last edited:
I find I can do it in my driveway in less time that it takes to drive to the shop, get checked in, wait. wait. wait. get checked out and drive home.

That's a fair point, it is definitely faster at home compared to a dealer. Maybe not compared to quick lube for the average joe though, who is getting it done while running other errands anyway.

I also asked then to check for a bad rear axle bearing. They said it was a tire in the rear with odd wear. There are no tire on this car with odd wear. I check them every couple months. Noise is so loud you can barely think. Now I am worried about my wife's safety on the highway. I am not used to Subaru giving us the GM style warranty blow off. - Ken
If you own a Subaru that does a lot of highway miles, be prepared to change bearings. I consider them consumables @40K mi a year just to my job.
Mike B

NAPA: Castrol 5w20 full synthetic quart $7.49 x5
Ace Hardware: Fram Oil Filter $4.99
Performance Shop Oil Change: $24.99

Total: $67.43

Note this is for just an oi change, with means having to remove the skid plate, drain the old oil, replace the skid plate etc.
I'm able check and top off all other fluids myself.

Also, the owners manual says that the 2.0L I4 needs 4.8 quarts of oil. The shop filled the level to 4.5 quarts.
I check the level and add any after the van has sit for 24 hours.

The van (40K Miles) is due for another oil change (every 5k-6K miles) after we return from our visit with Hotchkis.

Avoid the Jiffy or Lube places. Do the oil change yourself and have the means to dispose of the oil afterward

Last edited:
For my diesel BMW and my 2022 Corvette, $100 would be a bargain. Both specify oils priced in the $10 per quart league, and require a lot of it.

Ford dealer charged me $87 a week ago. Motorcraft 5W-20 blend oil and Motorcraft filter on a 3.5L. Included four wheel rotation, brake pad thickness record, topping off all fluids and scan for codes. A year to the week ago same service was $57. Worth it. In/out in less than 45 minutes. Tires should be rotated when oil is changed (my opinion) and that increases the complexity for at home servicing to the “don’t want to do it” level for me.

I had a hard time believing this until I took our company Ford Escape in today. $117.95, which included a tire rotation.

Northland Oil was used, so nothing boutique or fancy. It reassured me I’ll be changing my own oil for a long time.

It was a good thing I had this trip and checked it before leaving. The car has 10k miles total on it and was a quart down with tar for oil. I was assured it had been taken in for a change once already. If so, it didn’t actually get changed. There was no sticker in the window either. I had to wrestle the dipstick out of the engine, as if it had never been pulled out before.

Back